Home | About | Donate

Thousands Italian Women March Across Country. Demand: 'My Body, My Choice'

Thousands Italian Women March Across Country. Demand: 'My Body, My Choice'

Common Dreams staff

Thousands of women marched across Italy on Saturday afternoon to mark the anniversary of Italy’s 194 Law, which passed in 1978 and legalized abortion in the country.

Marchers fear that the far-right, anti-European Union, anti-immigrant League, which contains many anti-choice militants, will soon threaten the 194 Law. The League stands on the brink of forming a government with the anti-establishment Five Star Movement following the general elections in March.

Interesting to think that there are so many out there who somehow feel entitled to dictate to their fellows what choices are allowed, when it comes to their own bodies and lives. Why, one wonders.

Fascists hypocrites like Trump and the Republicans who collectively have paid for many abortions to protect their sacred but salacious reputations, is why.

Hypocrisy.

The threat to Elite-Patriarchy – and to male-supremacist religions (Christianity) which underpin it – is from women and from their power to create life.

Pope Warns Italian Parliament

*ROME, November 14, 2002 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In the first visit of a Pope to the Italian Parliament in over 120 years, Pope John Paul II called on Italian parliamentarians to encourage openness to life among Italians. The Pope called the “crisis of the birthrate, the demographic decline and the ageing of the population” a “grave threat that bears upon the future of this Country.” In some of the strongest language he has used on the topic the Pope warned: “Raw statistical evidence obliges us to take account of the human, social and economic problems which this crisis will inevitably impose on Italy in the decades to come. Above all, it encourages - indeed, I would dare to say, forces - citizens to make a broad and responsible commitment to favour a clear-cut reversal of this tendency.” The Pope assured the politicians that the Church would contribute to this needed development with promotion of openness to life. However, he stressed, “there is also ample room for political initiatives which, by upholding recognition of the rights of the family as the natural society founded upon marriage” which “can make the task of having children and bringing them up less burdensome both socially and economically.” See the full text of the Pope’s address: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/speeches/2002/november/documents/hf_jp-ii_spe_20021114_italian-parliament_en.html See BBC Report BBC NEWS | Europe | Pope urges Italians to have children

BBC NEWS | Europe | Pope urges Italians to have children

Pope John Paul II says Italians must strive to reverse their declining birth rate, in the first speech by a Pope to the Italian parliament.

It has been a fierce “Hot button’ issue for a long time and for people who don’t buy into the “judge not lest you be judged” part of Christian doctrine. I’m surprised those who want to howl “baby killer” at women who have abortions have quietly accepted their defeat.

Cheers for the women in Italy and around the world.!!!