Home | About | Donate

Thousands of Koalas Feared Dead in Australia Wildfires

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/28/thousands-koalas-feared-dead-australia-wildfires

Common Dreams has reported that Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison attacked environmental activists in a November speech, warning of a “new breed of radical activism” that was “apocalyptic in tone” Yes it is, Mr. Morrison. Your mining priorities will yield you nothing in the way of money lest you also, contribute to preservation of our planet. Surely you have not failed to notice your homeland, Australia is on fire.

6 Likes

"Last year, a World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Australia report said there were fewer than 20,000 koalas left in New South Wales and they risked becoming extinct as early as 2050, largely because of "excessive tree-clearing for farming."

Land use change - for the worse, and according to a new article in the Jan/Feb “Atlantic” - we are set to destroy vast reaches of the world ocean seabed as soon as the :International Seabed Authority" finalizes their rules ?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/01/20000-feet-under-the-sea/603040/

6 Likes

Koalas are the signature species of the gum tree forests and they receive most of the help and attention, but there are countless birds, marsupials, and reptiles impacted by these fires as well as many plant species. I hope the Aussies are smart enough to kick this Morrison character down the road in the next election.

8 Likes

Multiply the death of koalas by a factor of a hundred BILLION, and you’ll see the number of innocent, sentient animals killed every year by humans to feed non-vegans and in other ways.
Anthropogenic mass extinction is happening right now, and creatures cute and well-known as well as never heard of in the mainstream are being extinguished forever by us.

4 Likes

Not only the future of our children but all the innocent animals of our home planet, Mother Earth, require we act rightly on this ecological crisis.

https://firedrillfridays.com

https://www.codepink.org/firedrillfridays

1 Like

Even the ‘Last Edens’ as the pristine wilderness areas were once called, are imperiled by catastrophic climate change. Whether a well known National Park like Yellowstone or some little known (or visited) patch of wildlife preserve somewhere, all are threatened as global warming changes the conditions that created each biozone. You can declare an area of rain forest as a park or preserve but if climate change turns wet rain forest into arid savanna or grassland then the jungle plants and animals die under the new conditions. So then the land itself will be preserved but not the original habitat.

Even that which has been saved will no longer be safe with severe climate change. And no, Koalas cannot survive in a desert but need the forests that are now burning. The question is whether or not the burned areas will return to forest or will they become savanna under the hotter and drier conditions. Will the forest return? That may determine the ultimate fate of the Koalas. Will the ice return and save the Walrus and Polar Bears? The truth is that climate change is getting ugly real fast. I think it is happening much faster than we know. Models do not predict as well as we think they do. They didn’t predict this right now. All this was supposed to happen much later but here it is right now. Even the Last Edens are going though the land itself will still remain. Glacier National Park will still be here but the glaciers for which it was named are all nearly gone and the little that still remains is going fast.

8 Likes

The whale story yesterday was great news and made me happy; this is AWFUL and makes me more teary than if some of those corrupt, wealthy Aussies got burned out!.

2 Likes

The sooner humans disappear, the better for what is left of the animals they didn’t have time to MURDER in the name of profit!!!

2 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, Barton. They voted him in didn’t they?

1 Like

Exactly. And we need to drain our own cesspool as we defame other leaders of questionable character and thought. Where is OUR treatment of the environment going? The presidents sons traveling abroad to shoot animals, with Ted Nugent cheering them on.
I once read that the angels were tasked with creating the faces of the land, and of the animals. There must be some really angry angels watching those faces disappearing because of our destructive actions solely for fun and profit.

6 Likes

“I think this is the single loudest alarm bell I’ve ever heard on global heating.”

Stay tuned, it’s not even getting started yet. You won’t have to wait long before the statistics are recording thousands, millions, and billions of humans dead, and still it wont be enough to motivate .000001% of Americans to vote progressive. They’ll be fixated on some scandal or kangaroo court instead, buying into every threat from the “Russkies”, and the “evildoers”, messages they will unrelentingly be spoon fed from their mental masters. They’ll be deeply concerned about the economic costs of acting on climate, and certain of the hoax being worked on them from the evil cabal of scientists, to which most every scientist on Earth has joined. Koalas are victims in this situation, but not the humans; they deserve the horrors that await them, and then some.

2 Likes

I think Common Dreams might want to run a full feature article on 'The International Seabed Authority" and the upcoming mining of the deep ocean seabed, as described in the January/February 2020 edition of “The Atlantic” magazine:

History’s Largest Mining Operation Is About to Begin It’s underwater—and the consequences are unimaginable.

4 Likes

Excellent, excellent point. Something like this flashes through my crispy-fried mind when I read the “Victory for Our Oceans” piece here on CD.

Part of me (possibly the rational part) thinks we’re not doing diddly to address the problem of fossil fuel extraction until we make it stop, because each additional barrel mined is further irreparable injury to Earth’s numerable habitats. But that purist attitude makes life with me a downer at times. I have the damnedest time finding much to honestly, non-credulously celebrate.

There was a recent story in the SF Chronicle about a formerly endangered aquatic species which has now recovered sufficiently that we can resume bottom trawling. Wow! It’s a Lose-Win-Lose.

1 Like

It sure as hell wasn’t angels creating humans, was it?

To survive climate change, trees are going to have to migrate north (migrate south in the Southern Hemisphere) an average of 1000 miles in 50 years or perhaps in less time than that.

Trees can’t migrate that quickly. They have roots.

The only other natural possibility is that any tree that needs to migrate 1000 miles is going to become a dead stick with no survivors. Then some megafire will burn down the rest of the forest and its carbon will enter the atmosphere.

Trees and forests will continue to survive in any part of the world where both temperature and rainfall might remain reasonably steady through catastrophic climate change. There are precious few such spots anywhere. Perhaps certain trees can quickly migrate a mile or so up a mountain slope in New England.

So, the gum trees burn and the Koalas disappear. This can happen almost everywhere on earth, with almost all forests going to grassland, with grassland going to scrubland or desert. What will happen to the species that need trees?

Now, I’m an optimist in terms of invention and engineering, but if the actual inventors are utterly ignored for year after year in favor of the rich and the powerful, what do you expect will happen to the planet?

1 Like

Heartbreaking.

5 Likes

Carl, you are an ideal person to join the anti-natalist movement.
If you haven’t already, check out the books The Human Predicament, and Better Never to Have Been.
The sad, ironic and paradoxical thing is that Nature evolved us to be the most voracious, creative, artistic, delusional and destructively omnivorous apex predator ever, and we’re using our talents to kill the entire biosphere.
Only a radical spiritual deep ecology revolution, and an immediate halt to human population growth, can head off the complete biosphere decimation caused by our mass extinction event.
Sadly, it won’t happen. Even here at CD, there are many shills for increased population and development growth, people who may claim to be “environmentalists,” but advocate more and more humans, more and more using up of the biosphere to fuel our ecocidal folly.

4 Likes

So noted on more than one occasion, David. I have been ripped badly in the past when I have stated what, I think, is obvious and easily tracked: ALL problems with society, humanity, environment, et. al. can be traced back to OVER-POPULATION. EVERYTHING! Why don’t people see that it is “competition” that creates the hell that keeps raging around us?!

I got awakened to this #1 problem thanks to Paul Ehrlich decades ago.

I will check into your recommendations, my friend. And I thank you.

2 Likes

Koala Bears are currently unavailable.
We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.

1 Like