Home | About | Donate

Thousands Urge Commutation of Abuse Victim Lisa Montgomery's Death Row Sentence as Trump Continues Federal Executions

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/11/thousands-urge-commutation-abuse-victim-lisa-montgomerys-death-row-sentence-trump

So this is how far we have sunk as a society, executing a severely mentally ill woman.
What’s next, the death penalty for kids who steal candy?

5 Likes

women’s lives are not important in this white supremacist, patriarchal society, never have been never will be with the likes of Amy Comey Barrett in the supreme court. ugh .

2 Likes

Asking Satan for anything is just wrong.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Coney-Barrett is a religious fundamentalist and the Bible ( Deuteronomy 21:18-21 ) does say:

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

2 Likes

True, who doesn’t love a literal reading of the bible. /s

1 Like

We have stooped to a level where we have to justify why this or that person should not be killed. I guess if the person has no excuses for the crime or is undeserving of mercy - they should be executed. That is the game in the United States. No - the truth is that executions are an abomination and another form of killing human beings. The Death Penalty only stands as an example of what it is like to live in a country that is backwards thinking and fights progress with everything it has. This country needs to be reformed from the top down.

2 Likes

Sounds like some kind of horror movie with the supreme court justices acting their part.

In Canada she likely would have been found “not criminally responsible” due to her severe mental illness. This is how she would have been dealt with:

If someone is found to be NCR by the courts they are sent to a forensic psychiatric hospital to receive intense therapy for their illness instead of receiving a prison sentence. They do not receive a criminal record and there are no mandatory hospitalization times for patients.

Each patient’s case is reviewed annually by a provincial review board to determine their progress, rehabilitation and whether they still pose a risk to the public. If they are no longer a risk, they are slowly released back into the community."

2 Likes

I don’t really know what I should say about a case so sad. Have we reached a point in our decivilization that some of our societal products such as Lisa Montgomery are so pathetic and hopeless that for them a merciful death might be best as we pray for mercy for ourselves for our failure. Mercy, Almighty Father, mercy.

A reasonable solution, from a reasonable country. We used to have enough moral fiber to not execute the mentally ill in this country. My country has lost any sense of right and wrong.

In case any haven’t thought to:
Capital punishment by country
+ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_by_country

And maybe share the table of countries that still practice this barbarity with others who may not be aware of what company the ‘World’s Greatest Democracy’@ keeps in regard to this issue.

@ History’s greatest propaganda coup.

One thing I wonder is will she be taking her psychotropic medications so she knows what is going on when she is being killed, or not?