Home | About | Donate

Threat to Journalism Remains, Warn Critics, After Assange Extradition Rejected Solely Due to Brutal US Prison System

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/04/threat-journalism-remains-warn-critics-after-assange-extradition-rejected-solely-due

2 Likes

Most people I talk to don’t even know who Julian Assange is. How’s that for an informed populace?

20 Likes

One small crack in the false facade of the exceptional nation’s image is better than none I suppose. Even a corrupt British jurist can’t seem to let Mr. Assange fall into the dreadful American penal system.
I do wonder how all the fascist liberals on MSM will spin this. Somebody get back to me and tell me what Russia Maddow has to say (just kidding).

Peace
Po

11 Likes

Well, US lost this opportunity to further attack journalism here, but only because
our prisons are so BARBAROUS –

That was the overriding basis for the decision which ignored even the threat to Assange’s
HEALTH which has deteriorated even further after the neglect occasioned by his asylum
in Equadorian Embassy as testified to by 60 doctors requesting his release into a medical
facility, independent of the prison. Further, there are once again charges of psychological
TORTURE.

The attack on US “freedom of the press” and what’s left of it here begins with CIA’s
Operation Mockingbird, drafted in 1943 … even before the CIA had been created.*

This has long been recognized as the first step necessary in overturning democracy here.

Lawyers for the U.S. government, which in 2019 [charged Assange with 17 counts]of violating the Espionage Act, said they will appeal Baraitser’s decision as Assange’s attorneys fight for his [release on bail]If extradited to the U.S., Assange—whose health has [declined precipitously]in recent months due to conditions that physicians have [condemned as torture]—would face up to 175 years in a maximum-security prison.

The aggressive effort by U.S. authorities to extradite and punish Assange for publishing classified documents that exposed American war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan has been decried as a major threat to press freedoms everywhere, given that journalists [regularly obtain and report on secret materials]

“We continue to believe that Mr. Assange was targeted for his contributions to journalism, and until the underlying issues here are addressed, other sources, journalists, and publishers remain at risk.”
—Rebecca Vincent, Reporters Without Borders

While raising alarm over her dismissal of press freedom concerns, human rights groups organizations welcomed Baraitser’s ruling against extradition as an important step in protecting Assange and other journalists around the world.

• See companion programs to Mockingbird Paperclip/200,000 ex-Nazis, and Gladio
    actually drafted at the same time.
10 Likes

Risk of him committing suicide? I would be more concerned with him being “suicided”; which is not difficult to pull off in prison.

She has been so biased and so unfair and so ignorant of the law-obviously a political case, and therefor not eligible for extradition-that this is a surprise, a pleasant one though.

Once he is out he can get his health back.

17 Likes

This is why the populace who don’t bother with being informed keep electing corrupt and/or stupid politicians, and even an occasional fascisti.

It just keeps getting worse. Before Reagan a Trump could never get elected. Just his chronic infidelity would have eliminated him; and a rape charge-totally unelectable. Remember Gary Hart’s campaign flopped on a charge of infidelity. He was a choir boy compared to The Donald.

11 Likes

The sad thing is that Assange’s best hope still remains a pardon by Trump. Biden,Harris, and the (un)Democratic Party HATE Assange for giving a glimpse into their Party’s corruption. The UK is not releasing Assange and the US is appealing the decision - and appeal that is certain to be backed by the Biden regime. My concern is now that the adults (i.e. more culturally refined neoliberals and imperialists) will be in charge, they will make that case that they will ensure that Assange will be put in conditions that ensure he will not kill himself - maybe by having him shackled and watched 24/7.

12 Likes

She ruled the U.S. is a shthle country. The rulers of this shthle country are sh*t which include not just the present one.

6 Likes

Sooooo damn true! I had the same experience a long time ago when Chelsea Manning went to jail. I casually mentioned that: " did you hear that Manning was sent to jail" the response: " which one, the one from the Broncos or the Giants? "

12 Likes

“The one fact that swayed her into refusing the extradition was that the U.S. prison system is so brutal that it would increase the risk of suicide.”
—John Rees, Don’t Extradite Assange campaign

John, to be more accurate, I would edit your last sentence to: INCREASE THE RISK OF JULIAN ASSANGE BEING SUICIDED!

5 Likes

Assange, risking his life, is a whistleblower to USA atrocities. Forget politics…he did a journalist’s job and reported the truth…just like we all came to appreciate Nixon’s Watergate being exposed (something I’m sure the Nixon administration considered highly confidential and needing cover up as well). We have enough crazy news going on. Freedom of the ‘real’ press is at stake here. Free him.

17 Likes

But while it would certainly be a good idea for Trump to pardon Assange one has to wonder how this can happen given the fact that Assange is not a citizen of the United States.

4 Likes

America, Land of the free and home of the brave, UNLESS one exposes the truth of crimes committed by the USA.

4 Likes

“The truth will set you free.”

Journalists exposing Government’s crimes is the first step in justice being served on those who think themselves above the law.

4 Likes

I always heard that the gulags and Turkish prisons were worse than the U.S. prisons.

The trumpistas must feel pretty smug in their crime spree. They don’t even recognize the law as pertaining to everyone.

2 Likes

2nd Presidential Attorney General William Barr who just resigned spent much of his first go-round at Attorney General or U.S. JUSTICE DEPARTMENT TOP COP rhetorically supporting Trump’s view that the President is in fact and deed above the law. Yet when push came to shove with the Impeachment proceedings and the FBI Chief Mueller Report was made public, Barr pivoted and issued a terse statement that legalistically declared with certainty that no such Presidential Privilege exists:
~https://www.justsecurity.org/63857/barr-to-senate-president-is-not-immune-from-prosecutor-declaration-of-indictable-offense/

Barr was first tapped by President Papi Bush who slid over from running the China desk at CIA to serving as Ronald Reagan’s VOO DOO ECONOMICS and READ MY LIPS NO NEW TAXES east coast establishment VP ticket partner to balance the Western White House at Santa Barbara under the MORNING IN AMERICA campaign. Papi Bush had for years in GOP attacked Reagan’s poor understanding of economics and in the primaries was Reagan’s most formidable Republican rival by calling Reagan’s policy proposals VOO DOO ECONOMICS. So as Amazon or Facebook or Google or any other Anti-Competitive and Anti-Trust LLC or LLP simply buys up the regional competition, the Reagan campaign bought Papi Bush’s silence on the VOO DOO ECONOMICS critique by tapping him as his Vice Presidential running mate. That’s bid-net in these United States of Daddy Warbucks.

Yet 2-time JUSTICE DEPARTMENT TOP COP William Barr’s entire pre-Nixon political career was marked by his rhetoric and argumentation for a Maximalist Authority Executive Branch of government, held above the fray of the other two branches in our system of Checks and Balances on power.
~https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/bill-barrs-dangerous-pursuit-executive-power/592951/

That’s a stinging critique coming from a national policy magazine by the Neo-Liberal E-CON establishment that for decades ran full-page ads by Daddy Warbucks’ biggest global weapons contractors and proliferators of Weapons of Mass Destruction and Mass Distraction. Even more remarkable it was an Op-Ed written by one of Barr’s team-mates in the Papi Bush administration of the 1990’s!

Why Bill Barr Is So Dangerous

He is using the office he holds to advance his extraordinary lifetime project of assigning unchecked power to the president.

June 30, 2019

Donald Ayer

Former U.S. Deputy Attorney General under George H. W. Bush

Don’t confuse an intra-mural policy conflict based on contradictory ideas with dirty politics and internal party strife. The critics of Bill Barr’s paper trail are all over cyber-space for review and wider assessments. That Barr accepted from Trump and kept up his persiflage defending and countering the clear incompetency of his Executive Office boss until mere months before the end of this disastrous term of Executive Office Abuses should say more about the weakness of the U.S. News and Public Affairs media system (keep em dumb and distracted with Life Styles of the Rich and Tawdry a la Jeffrey Epstein’s private pleasure jet, and it was Barr’s father who gave Epstein his first real job as a Manhattan Preppie High School math instructor to the alienated children of our elite) and of the opposition political party’s DNC and DLCC policy and power hierarchy’s role in aiding and abetting the well-funded Weapons of Mass Distraction aimed at our domestic body politic.

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa (Refuge of Atonement Seekers)
Media Discussion List and Looksee

1 Like

Talk about blaming the victim… Julian is just too unstable to be extradited (for practicing journalism).

1 Like

Article II, Section 2: The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Office, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Source=https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/constitution-transcript

The President’s power to pardon is not contingent upon citizenship.

3 Likes

But Assange’s alleged offences had not been argued in a U.S. court of law and he has not, at least as yet, been found guilty in a British court of law. As Consortium News has brought out, Assange’s trial in the U.K. has been a sham and where the only legitimate recourse is for Assange to be found not guilty.

2 Likes