Home | About | Donate

'Threat to Our Privacy and Civil Liberties': Nearly 40 Groups Demand Congress Ban Facial Recognition Surveillance

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/02/threat-our-privacy-and-civil-liberties-nearly-40-groups-demand-congress-ban-facial

Congress is Corrupt. Unless they benefit, or their paymasters benefit, Congress will always side with the money.

Look at the vote to cease the hostilities in Afghanistan.

5 Likes

I love this photo. It is exactly what my vision has been for thwarting the spying.
Maybe I’ll get a black mask to see how many times I get pulled over for being black.

1 Like

I assume trump is in favor of Facial Recognition Surveillance.
Could that be one reason he doesn’t want people wearing masks?

1 Like

These days, I’m hearing increasingly vocal voices stating that STEM cannot be racist and that the is no White Supremacy in the field. Here is one article which insinuates that critique of racism in STEM is equivalent to a new form of religion:
s://quillette.com/2020/06/20/exploring-other-ways-of-knowing-the-new-religious-threat-to-science-education/

I encourage all people, particularly those in STEM, to support the call to ban facial recognition.

As Paulo Freiri stated:

“Washing one’s hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.”

My iPhone doesn’t recognize my face with my COVID mask on my face so for that reason alone, I encourage everyone to wear masks forever. LMAO

2 Likes

Hi Gandof:
And it would just just your luck to get pued over by a b!ack cop who does not find it very funny. : (

Like with all other cops stardustBID it depends on whether they are good cops or bad cops.

I suppose it is not that much harder than wearing a yellow vest.

And here’s to the ban, which I suppose is a good start.

But we are all going to have to start encrypting most things anyway. Universal surveillance went on for over a decade before it was in moderate part revealed and in small part grudgingly acknowledged. It is only too easy to pretend that agencies have stopped or that the information is passed to one and not to another market.

Hi Gandof:
And it seems that finding that out whether they are good cops or bad cops BEFORE they are hired wou!d be be number 1 consideration. : )