Home | About | Donate

Three Senate Dems, and Angus King, Advance Tillerson's Confirmation

Three Senate Dems, and Angus King, Advance Tillerson's Confirmation

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Senate Democrats and one Independent on Monday helped advance the nomination of ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as U.S. Secretary of State.

The cloture vote was 56-43, ending an attempted filibuster with the simple majority needed to move forward, The Hill reports.

Corporate Dem's thanks assholes!

Is this how Democrats plan to win control of Congress in 2018 and the White House in 2020 ?

The continuing and repeated defections of certain different Dems on various issues when the progressive/dem base are united, and most Dem representatives more or less cohesive, is a fact that can no longer be ignored in the age of trump&co! The failure of Dems to be cohesive or reform, undermines the party (such as is it) and betrays the base of millions of voters thus weakening the party and the people as an "opposition" giving aid and comfort to a regime that is the enemy of sound governance dedicated to the Common Good, regardless the mindless blather and overt lies (or 'alternative facts" put forth by the trump regime!

Either the Dem party reform and become a cohesive force for opposition to trumps fascism, intolerance/bigotry, environmental ignorance, and corporate subversion/bribery, or Dems will continue to betray the public trust with the recently demonstrated consequences!

DINOs have been voting for corporations and the wealthy, and against the rest of us for decades. The only thing that surprises me at all about this is the rapidity with which they've been caving. I had thought that they would put up a show of resistance in order to continue to perpetrate their con game. Apparently, they are clueless as to what we think their job should be.

If this country doesn't have a true opposing party then the only choice they leave us is resistance and I fear it will all end in riots across the country. The
Dems only have one chance left to save their party. If they blow this one they also must go down with the orange dictator.

These four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have now proven where their loyalties lie. And it is not with We the People. Target them all for Termination of Employment on the grounds of Betrayal of the American People. My suggestion is not to wait until 2018 for the three, instead, find a way to Recall, Impeach, or Sue them for Dereliction of Duty by Endangering Society. Wake up America. This is the party you believe you can reform.

These fools don't realize just how angry and disgusted their base is...so they try to continue business as usual. The law of unintended consequences will in the end prevail, on a number of levels.

Kudos to the Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee who thought of a way to stall two of Trumps nominees today. By not showing up at the committee they denied the Republicans a quorum and no vote could be taken. They have pledged to continue their committee boycott until their questions on ethics are answered. This is really the first substantive move they've made.

Jeanne, The Democratic Party Establishment's arrogance, and their Pimps, will never allow them to change, reform, whatever you want to call it. Too much money and power involved. Whole lot easier to support a party that elevates People, Planet, and Peace over Profit, now. I just do not get this obsession with giving those who have been engaged in the destruction of our way of life, another chance to do so. Insane.

It is not by pure chance that these events take place as they do. Everything is premeditated and orchestrated as planned. Therein lies the criminality. But then, these snakes who change their skins depending on the audience, aren't subject to the same set of laws that we are.

I agree, but there is no one else close enough to actually do anything, like impeachment. The only other power is the people and the way it's going looks like civil war to me.

The Dems are useless, self-serving scum. They are the reason we are in this mess to begin with and they are, as usual, spineless, even at a critical time like this. It's not just these morons, that voted for this piece of garbage. If you are counting on the Dems to run any interference or pull anything like what the Republicans have in the past (which is vital for them to do at this time), you are putting your eggs in the wrong basket. They're either totally obtuse or they just don't care about anything but their own hides. Even their means of protest to these events is half-assed and mealy-mouthed. The government of the U.S. is finally succumbing to the crumbling of the foundation of corruption and rot upon which it currently sits and has for some time. We are all either screwed or we can build a better country out of the ruins but make no mistake, WE have to do it because our legislators on both sides of the aisle absolutely will not.

Wow, people still believe that the Dems are an opposition party? Amazing!

Tillerson sucks, but King voted for him too. He's the typical corporate stooge who is going to get into government under Trump. That said, if he's not insane--and as a successful business man I assume he's not --he may help our truly insane president keep us out of war, the way Schultz did with Reagan when he threatened to walk out. For all you guys who don't mind Putin, I figured you'd be happy about his confirmation.

In the meanwhile, Democrats denied a quorum to Price and Mnuchin. The Republicans couldn't move them forward. Why not praise them for that? They aren't any happier about this situation than us.

Sen. Heidi Heitamp,D - North Dakota, is in bed with the Dakota Access Pipeline, and the oil corporations already, so it would be logical of her to vote for Tillerson of Exxon. oh my god. It is all so depressing. Resist.

Dede, you may be right in the end, but I think you're jumping the gun. It's only been a week or so, and the opposition is just beginning. There IS an opposition party: The Greens. One possibility is that the mass opposition to Trump will support the Greens and make of it a mass party that could displace the Dems. (Of course some other political formation may evolve as well.) Voter suppression may very well prevent this which would result in what you suggest. The central issue going forward is whether enough of the resistance to Trump realizes that trying to reform or capture the Dems is a lost cause and only complete and total rejection of them is (or may be) viable. The Democrats are not part of the solution, they're part of the problem; the enemy, and must be vanquished. Only then will we be able to effectively fight the Repubs. I am crossing my fingers.

Is it starting already?
A cursory review of exchange rates of the US$ with world currencies showed me this morning, that the USD has fallen almost 1% on average.

Here are some more concrete data:
The price of gold s rising:
Against...
The USD 1.54%
The Yen 0.18%
The Euro 0.47%
The Indian Rupee 1.02%
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/futures/metals as of 2:30 p.m. EST 2007-01-31

All of that may indicate falling confidence in our new government by the international community.

Turncoats, better pack your bags and don't let the door hit you on your A-- on the way out: Manchin, Heitkamp, and King are up for reelection in 2018. Guess they are more concerned about their stock portfolios (including their ExxonMobil shares) than they are about what is best for our nation and/or listening to what their constituents want.

May they simply fade away into ignominy.

Well, you have to admit that they have done a great job at being the fake, opposition!