Home | About | Donate

Three Strategies to Beat the NRA

Three Strategies to Beat the NRA

Peter Dreier

On Wednesday, Georgia Congressman John Lewis, a civil rights hero, led a sit-in of fellow House Democrats on the House floor to demand action on gun control legislation. Lewis strode to the lectern and called on his colleagues to “occupy this floor.” Soon, about two-dozen lawmakers gathered around him as he spoke. As more Democrats came into the House chamber, including Senator Elizabeth Warren, they joined him, sitting with their legs crossed on the blue-carpeted floor.

Thanks for a good compilation of information and resources. I have an alternate proposal: occupy the NRA. I took the risk of going on their Web site and learn that I can be an Associate Member, with free entry to the annual meeting and exhibits, for $10/year, a full member (with a duffle bag) for $40.

Now, I do see that none of the membership fee is tax-deductible. But how do they get away with claiming to be a nonprofit org while they do report cards on legislators and so much lobbying? Is there anything to look into there?

Kudos to Mr. Dreier for this comprehensive report. I cut and pasted it as the statistics may prove useful to future debates and discussions.

I would encourage any campaign aimed at demystifying guns to try to get some help from Hollywood.

When I "came of age," films about personal courage without any associated weapons moved me and informed my sense of justice. They also presented a FAR more balanced portrait of MANHOOD. Two films that come to mind are:

1. To Kill a Mockingbird
  2. It's a Wonderful Life

Today, very few films depict MORAL courage. Most act like advertisements for the NRA or one of its gun-making associates.

Other than that, the 3 approaches outlined in this lengthy article are necessary, timely, and brilliant.

P.S. Where are the forum's guys? Afraid to weigh in on this one and indicate that they may be among that NRA minority that demands all sorts of guns for all sorts of occasions?

The best strategy is the tactic that works. Educating the masses that the 2nd amendment does not give an individual right to have weapons is the starting point. Bullets were not invented then and the guns so referred were instruments of the states. Not lone nuts defending their stash of arms against Obama.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about the NRA. You lost me very quickly after it became clear the hysterical minority was those of us who consider the inalienable right to life as the biggie. And then I got lost in your careless spelling. I can't at all follow your argument.

Seems to me @Duckpins was pretty darned clear about how the meaning of the Second Amendment has changed in 200 years. It was about not having a standing federal army (long since abandoned) and appeasing the worried slaveowners (resolved 150 years ago). And it's the only place the Constitution talks about regulation. That's the context for keeping and bearing arms.

But the context of this discussion is the NRA. We don't need you here to make their arguments for them.