Home | About | Donate

Three Ways The Energy Policy Act Ushered In The Frackopoly

Three Ways The Energy Policy Act Ushered In The Frackopoly

Wenonah Hauter

This is a good week to reflect on Dick Cheney’s role in facilitating fracking. Early in the George W. Bush administration, he put together a task force made up of energy industry CEO’s and lobbyists, known as EPACT 2005, which rewrote energy policy.The damage this legislation did is much broader than is usually discussed.

The irresponsible use of energy resources is one of our society's biggest sins against the planet, its other inhabitants, and ourselves. J. D. Rockefeller said that "competition is a sin" and he meant it. I doubt that our progeny will agree as they cling to their hilltops, pump out the upcoming sea back over the barriers, and desperately seek the resources to run their air conditioners to avoid being cooked by an angry planet.

O.K., so fracking contaminates water supplies and produces a fuel that contributes to increased CO2. Do you honestly think the world economy can chug along on solar and wind power? I wish it could, but I rather doubt it. Even if we say "Economic growth is detrimental to the environment," what is the recipe for turning down the capitalism dial?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Exectuive orders are easy enough, but don't expect an administration which appointed first Ken Salizar and then Sally (the queen of fracking) Jewell to Sec. of the Interior to do anything to stop fracking. It's been the keystone of both Obama's energy policy and fund raising for his "library" fund. Bill and Hillary are both on the hook for millions to these same firms, so unless a "miracle" occurs, nothing is going to change for another 8 years.

No--wind and solar alone are NOT enough. We need to add geothermal, especially enhanced geothermal (both renewable and dispatchable), and some bio-fuel and energy storage including hydrogen fuel cells to the mix.