Home | About | Donate

Through the Gates of Hell

Through the Gates of Hell

Tom Engelhardt

The one thing you could say about empires is that, at or near their height, they have always represented a principle of order as well as domination. So here’s the confounding thing about the American version of empire in the years when this country was often referred to as “the sole superpower,” when it was putting more money into its military than the next 10 nations combined: it’s been an empire of chaos.

Here, however, is a potentially shocking question that has to be asked: With Donald Trump's election, has the American “experiment” run its course?

Hey, Tom a little perspective, here. I would point out that the "experiment" has never been fully shared with all segments of the population from day one. It's largely been the domain of a privileged class. The "chaos" we are now experiencing is a result of new segments of the population waking up to the fact that they, too, have also been excluded form the "experiment" and been denied access to the American Dream, if, indeed, such things have ever truly existed. Remember, for a substantial portion of the population in this country, who is in the White House is of little consequence. They have a long history of being ignored by both parties.

Also, there is a danger in painting the architects of this chaos as being victims of their own folly. In fact, they may have been, personally, very successful in attaining their intended objectives. Endless war is certainly a prime example. The concept of winning and losing has long been obsolete. Keeping the war machine fed and and enhancing profits and careers is all that counts. Continued chaos is good for the bottom line. Let the peasants deal with the aftermath.

Answer:

The US already had a Republican Party and once the 1985 DLC created a second Republican Party the message that the US only needed one Republican Party has never been loud enough to get back to one Republican Party. "Never" in this context includes November 14, 2016.

"Here, however, is a potentially shocking question that has to be asked:
With Donald Trump's election, has the American “experiment” run its
course?"

Truly being alive is ALWAYS in all ways an experiment. The fact that this has been usurped by an "economic" model masquerading as alpha and omega in which every aspect of life is dictated via the usurpation of the means to engage the full diversity of healthy experimentation is perhaps instructive.

The American Empire has always been backed by a military dictatorship and it was exacerbated this month in 1963. Trump is just the fruition of these mendacities that has been hidden from the American people since 1963.

Tom - wow!!! I didn't think you would also subscribe to the false history of the war on terror!!! So you also believe that Afghanistan had some role in the 911 attack? Yikes - now I'm truly living in a parallel universe. The Taliban offered up info on Osama Bin Laden if the Americans could provide some evidence of his complicity in 911 - none was forthcoming.The liberal's champion in the military, Colin Powell, also mentioned a "white paper" which documented Osama's guilt - again, no white paper. Yet you believe somehow Afghanistan played a role ? Even the FBI who had Osama on their 10 most wanted list for the embassy attacks in Africa did not list 911 as a crime on his resume.....whatever, keeping living in a dream world Tom.

A third building in the World Trade Center complex collapsed at 5:30 P.M. It was not struck by a plane. Architects and engineers who build skyscrapers know that such a structure cannot collapse due to fire. Here is a link to their website:
http://www.ae911truth.org/en/news-section/41-articles/925-why-do-good-people-become-silent-or-worse-about-911-part12.html
They believe that all three building were brought down by nano-thermite demolition. I have seen a video of Bldg 7 coming down but cannot now retrieve it from my hard drive. They do not speculate on who was responsible, but are calling for a new commission to re-examine the issue. It is clear that whoever did it had a lot of money. I have read that it may have taken several years to wire those three buildings. Given that about 15 of the 20 people responsible for steering the planes into the WTC, Pentagon and the field in Pennsylvania were Saudis, my money would be on them. Why might they have done that? It certainly sucked us into Iraq and did their dirty work of bombing Iraq back to the stone age.