Home | About | Donate

Throwing in the Towel on the Two-State Solution

Throwing in the Towel on the Two-State Solution

Sandy Tolan

Washington has finally thrown in the towel on its long, tortured efforts to establish peace between Israel and the Palestinians. You won’t find any acknowledgement of this in the official record. Formally, the U.S. still supports a two-state solution to the conflict. But the Obama administration’s recent 10-year, $38-billion pledge to renew Israel’s arsenal of weaponry, while still ostensibly pursuing “peace,” makes clear just how bankrupt that policy is.

Essentially giving Obama the finger.

After getting a deal for $38 BILLION of our tax dollars.

Anybody ask if you wanted your taxes going to Israel?

No.

And under Clinton it will be worse.

Don't expect this deal to survive Clinton. Expect a flurry of government leaks about Iran violating the provisions of the agreement, followed by official pronouncements and dummied up 'intelligence' proving they're actually preparing to build a nuclear bomb.

It's going to be a fun ride.

Vote Sane: Vote Green.

"For two decades, Israeli leaders and their neoconservative backers in this country, hell-bent on building and expanding settlements on Palestinian land, have worked to undermine America’s stated efforts -- and paid no price"

Israeli leaders and their neoconservative backers want Hillary and not Trump. Does this mean we should vote for Trump?

Sometimes, the bad guys win....

Hillary will give the Republicans everything they want in hopes that they won't impeach her. The Republican establishment would bury the e-mail scandal right now if they could, but Julian Assange is keeping the topic hot, even as the mainstream media tries to ignore it. The e-mails released so far show Clinton is guilty of selling State Department favors in return for contributions to the Clinton Foundation. That and the resulting cover-up is impeachable. Her campaign has been corrupt enough to justify additional impeachment counts. Barack Obama tried giving the Republicans what they wanted, especially during his first term, and they stabbed him in the back every time. Hopefully the Republican-run House will impeach Clinton before she starts WW3.

Again, should we then vote for Trump? If we don't vote or vote for Stein or Johnson, who wins?

Hi natureboy. Yeah, hate to admit it but I'm voting for the Donald, because he's the only one who can stop HillRod. I'm a "lesser of two evils" voter.

I would have a hard time pushing that ticket. At this point, I'm thinking of voting for Stein and letting the chips fall where they may.

CD usually produces rather intelligent and well-informed comments but those posted so far are just stupid. Disappointing.
This was a well-informed and articulate description of a very serious issue. The US has been funding and supplying Israel for decades, and Israel's welfare state is largely due to US funds. And the US supply of the latest state of the art weaponry means that, while Israel can be seen by its Middle East neighbours as a threat, it is impossible to see Israel as in danger, least of all from the unfortunate Palestinians.
The situation is worse than apartheid, and I wish the US media would get around to the gross injustices of this horrible scar on the face of the planet.

Seems like it is most of the time these days...

I share your appreciation of the OP and disappointment in the distraction to US electoral politics and presumption of post-election shenanigans.

While I've saved the OP for future reference, I do wish that Tolan's references were a bit more robust than (for one) Al-Jezeera reports from unnamed Pentagon sources. I can already hear the sneers if I should offer those statistics from the Gaza war. And while I want to have faith that the moral arc bends toward justice, I am more demoralized on the Israeli occupation of Palestine than on almost anything. That "checkerboard" characterization of the West Bank weighs heavy on my heart.

What I am most grateful for, however, is the shocking history of deconstructing the Middle East in favor of Israel. I have to wonder where we thought Saudi Arabia would land. Was the plan to leave "the Muslim world" this one bastion, as long as they minded their business of supplying oil to the West? Or are the chaos-mongers rubbing their hands in glee at every Hajj riot or epidemic? I'm encouraged, I think, that Sec'y Clinton has praised the Iran deal as recently as last night's debate. But up against her own actions and statements in blind support of Israel, I have to wonder what she and her own Secretary of State will do next year.