Home | About | Donate

Time for a Democratic New Good Neighbor Policy

Time for a Democratic New Good Neighbor Policy

Ronn Pineo

As we begin to contemplate life after Trump, the Democratic Party candidates for the White House are scrambling to distinguish themselves. But beyond shared opposition to building a southern border wall, the candidates have so far said little about the future shape of U.S. policy for Latin America. It is time to set a forward-looking Democratic vision for our hemisphere. Those candidates who can first articulate a thoughtful and progressive agenda on this will be at a competitive advantage with the increasing number of voters who are concerned about both Americas, North and South.

1 Like

I’ve always thought we could help people all over the world for a tenth of what we spend to kill them, and make ourselves safer with it as well.

2 Likes

If only, there wasn’t any money in it for those in power with no ethical or moral standards, that would be ideal.

1 Like

US aid to Latin America tends to come with strings attached. Those strings Have CIA written all over them where the goal of any aid is furthering US Corporate interests. The NED and USAID , the World Bank and IMF are all used by the National Security State in the USA to extend US dominance , this dominace built on the back of soliciting corrupt individuals in those Latin American countries as allies.

I tend to think the cart being put before the horse here. Latin America can not be “cleaned up” where progressive values promoted until the USA gets its own corrupt household in order and until that happens Latin America is better off without any US help whatsoever.

2 Likes

Well written thoughtful article on a Democratic New Good neighbor policy. Time to stop exporting violence, and start helping Latin America go green. Thank you for enlarging my understanding of our relationship to the rest of the American countries.

1 Like

Since WWII about 9/10ths of our efforts to promote peace and prosperity has been to promote peaceful terms of trade, both between us and them, and between each other such as the European Economic Community. And about 9/10ths of our success has been due to improved trade and prosperity in those nations.

0 Likes

Jimmy Dore show. Debbie Wasserman Schultz suggesting Bernie Sanders not allowed to run as the Democratic Presidential candidate unless he states Maduro a Dictator and supports his overthrow.

It odd how Democracy works in the minds of the DNC. If you do not state your loyalty to Israel you are censored. if you do not agree with regime change in Venezuela you thrown out of the party. Toe the line in SPITE of what the people might want . They sound very much like a tin pot dictatorship.

1 Like

More and worth watching.

0 Likes

Thank you for posting a comment on “Time for Democratic New Good Neighbor Policy”

It is true that too often U.S. actions in Latin America have come in the form of CIA aggression or military invasions. If the U.S. were to do nothing at all in Latin America, this at least would be better than causing harm.

But I believe we can and must do better than this.

I hold out no hope that the present U.S. administration will play a positive role with Latin America. I do hope that new Democratic administration could.

If the U.S. offers aid it must insist upon accountability. Aid cannot be provided to repressive, undemocratic, or corrupt regimes.

For those who believe government to government aid can never produce positive results–a view a cannot share–there remains the option of private charity. Unicef and Oxfam are really good options.

Ronn Pineo

0 Likes