Home | About | Donate

Time For Action: Seven Proposals From Sweden For Reducing Sexism and Sexual Violence in the Midst of #MeToo

Time For Action: Seven Proposals From Sweden For Reducing Sexism and Sexual Violence in the Midst of #MeToo

Christian Christensen

As #MeToo once again hit the headlines with the 2018 Academy Awards, it would be fair to say that initial hopes that the campaign would trigger widespread media attention on violence against women have not been met. Coverage of harassment and assault in “everyday” occupations and industries beyond Hollywood has, to be generous, been hard to find.

Despite the predictable negative comments which this subject invariably engenders, this is a good and positive article.

You are spot on! How about Sweden start cleaning up “sexual harassment” by rounding anyone who rapes a woman, determining that the person is guilty, and then doing what should be done - sending them to Jesus to explain themselves and their misogynistic actions. I think a few well-placed executions would lessen the likelihood of further rapes, don’t you?

Or if you don’t like the death penalty, just take a sharp knife and make a capon out of the offender.

Feminism represents a “progressive strand of thinking…” Herein lies the problem. The U.S. government is too far away from “progressive.”

Having had oodles of gender/equality classes in college, I am aware of, and familiar with, the broader significance of the term feminism, and how men can be feminists as well as women. In the U.S., the word has been vilified. Feminism is a worldview. It’s egalitarian and anti-patriarchal. So, any wonder why the backlash keeps getting more and more violent?

Too many in the US let Rush tell them what to think. Thirty years of hearing that repulsive windbag spouting “Feminazi” nonsense has warped the brains of many.

Agree! Where I worked, I was called a FemiNazi by a right-wing co-worker. I just laughed at him.

Good for you! They really need to “get a grip” on something besides their guns.

1. Force the Swedish govt to drop the false rape charges against Julian Assange of Wikileaks.

I find it laughable that anyone in the U.S. would have the gall to criticize Sweden about rape (or much of anything else). Sweden has developed a society that is by no means perfect, but beyond anything anyone in the capitalist warmongering neoliberal empire called the United States can imagine.

It would be useful to visit and/or study a nation before disparaging it. But that would be “unAmerican” wouldn’t it.

That is completely untrue. Swedish rape rates are not particularly high at all. You might be confused by the fact that they do not report things on a per-person basis. For example, if a woman reported she was raped three times by a man that counts as one crime in the U.S. while in Sweden it counts as three crimes. Since 12% of women reporting sexual offenses in Sweden claim at least ten times - and another 30% report between 2 and 9 times - that inflates their data by at least a factor of three. (you can get especially big numbers with spousal rape where a woman may report dozens or even hundreds of cases).
When you look at international data that is gathered and defined in the same way such as with the International Crime Survey, you 'll find that Swedish rates for rape were about the same as in the U.S. (some years a bit higher, some years a bit lower).

Your logic makes no sense. The definition did not get more stringent - just the opposite. Sweden has a much broader definition of rape than the U.S. which is yet another reason why their numbers are inflated compared to ours.

Another complete falsehood. There are no such places. I was in Sweden giving a workshop on my research specialty a few years back and couldn’t feel safer walking around all areas in both the cities and the country side.

Interesting… so if - and that is a big IF … a country sees a major problem, then those who speak about set of proposals to address the problem are to be conflated with that problem, all proposals instantly negated without consideration.

gottcha

It is interesting that Sweden is now considering political solutions for gender equality which might be regressive for them, while something else for other countries. Some countries already have an equal rights amendment as a part of the their constitution. Not so in the U.S. which has been working on it since 1923. We are a bit slow on things others have long since accomplished.

“On March 22, 1972, the Senate passed the Equal Rights Amendment to the United States Constitution, which proposed banning discrimination based on sex. The E.R.A. was sent to the states for ratification, but it would fall short of the three-fourths approval needed.”