Home | About | Donate

Time to Follow the Green New Leaders

Time to Follow the Green New Leaders

Julie Weder, Avi Lewis

Last week, the first state of emergency in what many British Columbians now just call "fire season" got underway. And yet, with her Ottawa riding weeks into an epic flooding emergency of its own, our federal Minister of Environment and Climate Change urged us not to move too fast.

1 Like

I really hoe the younger people get out the vote in droves next election and vote gGreen here in Canada. That demographic tends not to vote and their numbers would certainly help the cause.

3 Likes

1.) The “Green New Deal” is originally from the GREEN PARTY! (NOT the damnocrats as they would have you believe.)
2.) Young people need to be made aware of the GREEN PARTY!
3.) The “Green New Deal” doesn’t have a snow ball’s chance in hell if it is up to the "D"s + "R"s = ONE CORPORATE PARTY!!!

*European Greens were among those calling for a Green New Deal in 2006 in response to the global financial crisis. In addition to a call for both climate action and a bill of economic rights, the approach by the European Greens sought to democratize the world’s financial system. In New York State, Howie Hawkins promoted a Green New Deal in his 2010 Green Party run for Governor – an issue focus that subsequently was picked up by Jill Stein in her 2012 Presidential campaign and by many other Green Party candidates across the United States.

1 Like

How does Australia get 96% of their people voting? 1) Compulsory voting law, 2) people can vote at any poll:

3 Likes

Neither does the Green Party have a snowball chance in hell of winning. I was there in 1999, had a down hall for Ralph Nader, gather people to go to his rally in Portland Oregon, registered voters and got accused of dividing the vote for Gore. Dems lost that race because of gerrymandering, voter suppression from the Governor and Secretary of State, Chads, and non counts, or redos and Supreme Count and Al Gore not standing up for his rights and we the people rights.

We have had a complicit, lazy, weak kneed democratic party since and they loose elections when they are freckless.

1 Like

All I’m saying is that, YES, the Greens don’t have a chance of winning NOW but they have to BE BUILT! And if people keep buying into that “They can’t win” bullshit and don’t start supporting and working for them, then sit back and continue watching the same old one-party show ad nauseum!!!

1 Like

The Greens in the USA have no chance of winning as long as everyone keeps saying the Greens have no chance of winning and contirnue to vote Democrat.

The same was said for years in Canada. The Greens now the official opposition in Prince Edward Island getting 30 percent of the Vote. Here in BC they only have 3 seats in the Provinical legislature but hold the Balance of power. The Governing NDP is implementing Green type policies in order to ensure the Greens keep them in power.

At the Federal level they recently won a byelection that they were not expected to win.

It my feeling that if the younger people started to more actively vote we can get even more Greens into power and once they grow to 10 , 12 and more seats at the Federal level in our Parliamentary system , the other parties will have to take notice.

What is worth noting is that Canadas health care plan and a great swathe of its Social programs were first advocated for by the CCF. This later became the NDP. The NDP has never been in power at the Federal level in Canada , but the Liberals of the 1960s were forced to introduce those programs because they were losing thier base to the NDP. They would never have done this had the people who voted NDP continued to vote Liberal because “The NDP can never win”.

Bingo! What more proof does one need than in the last election the American people chose a Mafia, Don over a lady of integrity, and has an IQ at least 10 times higher than Trump, Dr. Jill Stein! Hell, she was not even allowed in the debates!

1 Like

How long have they been around? I don’t think, my opinion, they’ve done a great job of creating a doable party. They’ve been around for 20 or 30 years?

I thought the same thing in 1999 and 2000 and they have not grown much since then. We do need a new party working for the people.

Who is “they”? Don’t you mean US who would like to them become viable but sit back and wait. I confess, I’m not as active as I should be. I guess the one-party system will be THE system, broken or not, for decades to come unless the young grab the dangling reins from our aging, weak hands.