Home | About | Donate

'Tipping Point'? Voters Bring Sweeping Wins for Marijuana

'Tipping Point'? Voters Bring Sweeping Wins for Marijuana

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

On a dismal election night, voters in four lucky states found something progressive to celebrate—recreational marijuana legalization.

What!?!?! Trump won?!?!?! Pass me that joint.

This and all of the measures that passed where the voters supported an increase of the minumum wage does NOT suggest the Voters took a hard right.

Bravo to all states. But let's remember the GOP king Nixon and how he started a war not on drugs, but on innocent citizens.

“You want to know what this (war on drugs) was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes,break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”
--John Ehrlichman A top Nixon policy advisor, quoted from a '94 Harper's interview after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison.
https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

That is the first thing Patti Davis did after hearing on the news that Ronnie was president; pulled over and smoked one to calm her shock.

Thank you for posting this.

The Banality of Evil personified.

In Vermont, 65% of its citizens support full legalization but unfortunately, it's up to the legislature to make the final determination. The legislators are beholden to the Pharmaceutical industry who are STRONGLY against legalization because 1) it'll cut into their profits for addictive opiate painkillers and 2) they haven't found a way to patent the plant yet.

Once the Pharmaceutical Industry finds a way to patent Marijuana either through hybridization or genetic modification, it'll become legal practically overnight.

Excellent points. The Pharma Industry, and to a lesser degree, Big Alcohol, were both against us with amendment #64 in Colorado (repeal of prohibition).

As to pharma versions and patents, the actual patent for cannabinoids for various medical treatments (parkinson's to cancer) is held by the US gov. (health and Human services) , patent # 6630507.
https://www.google.com/patents/US6630507?dq=US6630507&ei=kz1pT8TcIJLksQKRyLCcAQ

Marinol were the crumbs thrown under the table by the Bush admin. because they wanted to quieten AIDS disaster. It was only THC. Cannabis has 108 cannabinoids. (entourage effect)

Rimonabant, in 2006 Europe, was a total disaster, with side effects of suicidal ideations etc. It was for weight control. (THCV is an appetite suppressant, but that is not what they synthesized.)

Sativex is the newest pharma drug, that actually appears successful in treatment for some (MS), and synthesized THC and CBD, but without the other 106.

But for it to pass FDA approval as a medical herb, will never happen. Why? Because we live in a single molecule medical reality. We take drug A (single molecule). But it causes some bad side effects, so we take drug B---and on.

With the exorbitant cost of FDA approval the cost would be like 900 billion investment because it would actually be approval of 108 separate synthesized cannabinoids--not one plant. And we are very long way from synthesizing the remaining 106.

You are correct: what Pharma fears most is both medical and legalization, and growing your own. On average, most (60%) of new mmj patients drop 3 prescriptions, because cannabis is a viable treatment for hundreds of conditions. The wall of mass medical oppression is falling apart, brick by brick.

I think Trump will use his position, like he always does, to make as much money for himself as possible. Be prepared for Huge, phallus -shaped "Trump" emblazoned bongs to hit the market, as well as high-grade, Trump Presidential Smokes. He may just use cannabis and hemp to "make America great (and profitable) again."

I'm no Trump fan. I safely voted "Green," in every sense of the word, here in California :wink:.

Where the heck is "Bernie" on this issue?!

Bernie is all for the decriminalization of marijuana and ending the "war on
drugs". He hasn't gone as far as endorsing "recreational use", but I don't
think he'd be outwardly against it either.

Keep your heirloom seeds folks.

He said he does support full legalization if left up to states.