Home | About | Donate

'Tired of Getting Ripped Off,' Majority of Key Swing District Voters Want Candidates Willing to Take on Big Pharma: Poll

'Tired of Getting Ripped Off,' Majority of Key Swing District Voters Want Candidates Willing to Take on Big Pharma: Poll

Jake Johnson, staff writer

With centrist House Democrats working behind the scenes to craft a drug pricing proposal that is more palatable to the pharmaceutical industry and the Trump administration than the progressive alternative, polling data released Wednesday found that voters in key swing districts overwhelmingly favor candidates who are willing to directly confront Big Pharma t

2 Likes

They may be tired of getting ripped off, but that wont stop most of them from voting D/R come selection day.
When nothing changes after they have “won”, it is of course someone else’s fault. And hey, at least those other guys didn’t win.

6 Likes

Reminds me of the Clinton minor position against Wall Street Financial Criminals.
Clinton stickers said ‘I’m With Her’. Funkstein at Goldman said ‘She’s With Us’.

The fact of the matter at hand: The ‘new’ trade deals contain language that will raise pharma cost by as much as double. Expect your politicians to vote yea.

I’m agin high pharma cost … wink, wink,

5 Likes

And there’s Pelosi again on the wrong side of things.

That gal needs to retire and go take advantage of a revolving door to the outback somewhere.

5 Likes

Pharma is another industry that needs to be taken over by the public sector if it can’t survive without overpricing it’s drugs… I think with that socialized threat, companies will all of a sudden have more affordable pricing.

3 Likes

Right, swing state or not, either your vote doesn’t count (GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression) or your vote doesn’t matter (the Democrats, despite the rhetoric, don’t represent you and won’t make policy in your interests).

6 Likes

It takes balls to write an article about what voters want when we all know that what matters is what our corporate masters dictate and their puppets in the 2-party farce legislate.

Hah, I remember when Obama was promising that his Romneycare plan was going to bring down prices. That turned out to be another crock of shit with Pelosi’s fingerprints all over it.

7 Likes

"Refuse To Vote For Status Quo Joes."

3 Likes

Who will run against Richard Neal in Massachusetts first congressional district? He is head of the ways and means committee, receives drug company contributions and says the US cannot afford medicare for all.

2 Likes

And Democrat Max Bacchus whose job it was to make sure that single payer and the measley “public option” died in their cribs!

6 Likes

I advise anyone with costly drugs to check out any Canadian Pharmacy. When I was taking expensive drugs still on US patent protection, I would get the expensive ones from Canada sometimes saving as much as half, no shit. You wouldn’t believe how cheap name brand drugs are from Canada. This also says a lot about our fucked up system.

6 Likes

Here is Open Secrets on Pharaceutical Industry - political contributions.
The last chart on the page notes a sharp reversal in the damnation, I mean donation trend. The shift starts in 2016. So… what does that tell us? Two years before the DEM takes the House, the pharma junkies were massaging their reps.

We need graphics on lobbying, the investment trends, all activities these interest invest their treasure. Why? because it also presents the profile of a representative/senator - which could be much more powerful than what their paid for advertising profile looks like. When one begins to consider the entire environment of Citizens United and what the public is prevented from even getting a glimpse of, the totlaitarian/fascist aspect of the SCOTUS decision really begins to reek of complete rot.

5 Likes

Agreed. My first thought was that we should use the power of eminent domain to seize their “intellectual property,” otherwise known as drug patents (which taxpayers mostly paid for!), as a public good.

4 Likes

I wonder how many of these people are AGAINST M4A? Don’t they realize that big pharma would be irrelevant under the people-friendly Single-Payer system? Apparently not.

4 Likes

Someone needs to ask Neal (WHO) can’t afford medicare for all. The people-patients would save money. The government side would be okay as well. Those that think we can’t afford it are the insurance companies, the investors, and the slugs that take ins. co. payoffs.
Maybe would could be as GREAT as the other countries the have a national plan.

1 Like

I would partly agree about what would be covered and how, but until it passes and gets set up, we won’t know the particulars.

I THOUGHT–and am hoping–that it turns out to be just like the VA healthcare system to which I am grateful beyond words!

2 Likes

I too am grateful for my VA healthcare. Appointments are easy to get when needed, and I never spend more than 10-15 minutes or less in the waiting room. And with my rating I pay zero $$.
I will be a little jealous at first when everyone has 100% coverage, but that’s where we need to be as a country.

2 Likes

I have the same positive experiences every time I have to go to my clinic/hospital as you. I also have ZERO co-pay because of my disability rating. Imagine EVERYONE with a ZERO co-pay! (I won’t be jealous at all!) Unfortunately, there are still many who will be AGAINST their own interests due to the corporate propaganda and dis those who support Single-Payer and have the guts to fight for it. What an INSANE country this has become!!!

P.S. Fun fact for those “russiagate” fools: RUSSIA HAS FREE HEALTH CARE!!!

https://www.quora.com/Is-health-care-in-Russia-free

3 Likes

It’s not difficult to read between the lines of the Mueller report to see that there were many instances of collusion, coverup, and obstruction. We didn’t know at first that Trump couldn’t be charged no matter how guilty he is.
My main interest was early on when it looked like Trumpians were attempting throw a sanctions bone to the Russians, and they were.

And CUBA has free healthcare.

2 Likes