Home | About | Donate

'Tired of That Hypocrisy': Sanders Blasts GOP for Claiming $2,000 Checks Are Too Costly After Passing $1.5 Trillion in Tax Cuts

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/31/tired-hypocrisy-sanders-blasts-gop-claiming-2000-checks-are-too-costly-after-passing

1 Like

Why is the author placing all the blame on Republican Senators? Virtually the entire Democratic roster did all they could to ensure $2,000 didn’t pass.

7 Likes

For the republican party hypocrisy has become an everyday event.

3 Likes

And keep in mind, both McConnell and Coryn represent some of the poorest people in this nation. Yet, they have managed to convince those slack jawed imbeciles to forgo getting a $2000 check because some rich guy making almost $75,000 a year might get one too.
This is how far we have fallen kiddies. America’s poor dumb rubes seem to believe that people making $75,000 a year are rich, and that billionaires are an oppressed minority.

10 Likes

The $2000 direct payment to individuals would not be that “costly” if Republicans and Democrats would simply raise the tax rates on those who hold most of the money in America. Raising the top marginal tax rate back to 70% would be a good start on increasing government revenue to have on hand for emergencies.

14 Likes

Bernie proves, again, that he doesn’t have the political will to call out - let alone take - on the Corporatist DEMOCRATS.

It was the Corporate Democrats who caved into McConnell, defeating Bernie’s fillabuster.

5 Likes

I’m getting a little tired of the $2000 (or $600) check ascending to the top of our concerns. The least people might expect of a democratic system would be some mutual aid in tough times. But these measly checks fall so spectacularly short of an adequate defense of society, in the face of this viral assault.

Our so-called leaders don’t seem to have caught on that keeping on with the same inequality games won’t cut the mustard during a global pandemic, that we’re not going to get any second chances after we’ve allowed a homicidal maniac to so thoroughly destroy the country formerly known as “the world’s sole superpower” – now the world’s worst basketcase. Stick a fork in us, we’re done. Spirited debates about stimulus checks reverberating on the way down. Jebus.

12 Likes

Have to slightly disagree, our “leaders” know exactly what’s going on, to them the inequality games are working just fine.

7 Likes

Those jerks have no interest in increasing government revenues for anything but weapons.

5 Likes

I have an idea that may or not be that bold, but will certainly get howls of condemnation from Libertards and other selfish followers of Ayn Rand and her ilk. For less than $1.5 Trillion, the federal government should cut a check for $10K to every citizen that makes less than $50K/yr., down to infants. It would be a tax-free, no-strings attached payment that would not count against income limits for any other benefits like Medicaid, SNAP, WIC, etc. A total freebee targeted at the bottom half of the population. A family of four would get $40K. While a couple making more than $50K would not get anything, their adult children living in the basement because they can’t find a job would. While non-citizens would not get anything, if they have a spouse or children who are citizens, they would get the money. It would be hard enough to get this to pass for citizens, trying to give it to non-citizens would never work. About 115 million Americans fall into this category, about 35% of the population, including the poorest people in the nation. Can you imagine what a boost this would be to the poorest pockets of poverty in this country? A bonus is that probably a near majority of them live in “red” states run by Republicans (like Mitch McConnell’s Kentucky), which would hopefully make it harder for Republicans to quash the effort.

Under Modern Monetary Theory, this one-time payment would not harm the economy. In fact, the multiplier effect from that money being almost immediately spent by it’s recipients to pay back-debts and buy needed supplies would probably have a multiplier effect of at least 3 and probably more, especially in the poorest states. It would either end or prevent millions from being homeless, take the strain off of underfunded food banks and shelters, and enable millions of gig workers to make it through the Winter with a roof over their heads and heat in their dwellings.

I would totally expect the economic hardliners who oppose any cash payments to the people to scream bloody murder about this idea. It certainly would not be a slam dunk, and would also be opposed by those who want any cash payments to not be means tested at all. I believe that things are so dire for those at the bottom of the economy that it will take something like this to prevent scenes of mass homelessness and daily reports of people freezing to death outdoors this Winter for lack of being able to house themselves, and homeless shelters being overwhelmed. Things not seen since the black and white images of the Great Depression.

6 Likes

A POX on them all!! they are EVIL, VENAL, Self-Serving, Corrupt SOB’s!! People, we are really down the Rabbit Hole now…

1 Like

Huh? None other than Chuck Schumer participated with Sanders on submitting and resubmitting requests for the House resolution. The entire caucus supports the $2000 checks, even Manchin. If they didn’t, Sanders’s non-consent to bring the defense budget forward would have been dead already.

While you find a way to blame Democrats for the Republican Senate caucus’s lack of action, are you going to find time to praise Josh Hawley like other smart social media “progressives” for supporting the $2000 checks on Twitter, but doing zero to help pass them? Because that seems to be the latest “outflanking” I’ve been reliably told by leftist social media that’s occurring.

2 Likes

Deficit spending under Trump:
~https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/12/31/gop-deficit-stimulus-checks-romans-newday-vpx.cnn

But the US Treasury (and the ‘printing press’) belong to them. It’s THEIR money and they intend to keep as much of it in their own hands as possible.

Schumer tried to pass legislation to increase the checks from 600 to 2000 via unanimous consent. Every Single Democrat was on board.

Mitch blocked it and as this article shows he obviously has the support of his fellow republicans.

So, are you totally ignorant regarding what’s happened in the senate or are you purposely pushing a false narrative?

1 Like

Democrats too.

Failure to uphold Trump’s veto of H.R. 6395 (~http://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6395) (National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021) is what removed all of the people’s leverage to insure a clean and appropriate CASH relief bill from coming up to vote in the Senate and will result in undue hardship, financial ruin and rampant homelessness among what a few months ago was a large portion of America’s blue-collar and middle-class population, and it is the direct fault of a higher percentage of Democratic law-makers than Republican law makers in the Senate.

Actually, there is very little difference in the percentages of “both parties,” (as if anyone should actually believe that there is any significant difference between “Ds” and “Rs” when it comes to economic class issues), though Dims were actually a little higher in their support of America’s wars of empire Surprised?! yeah, me neither.
YEAs —84

1. Alexander (R-TN) Baldwin (D-WI) King (I-ME)
  2. Barrasso (R-WY) Bennet (D-CO)
  3. Blackburn (R-TN) Blumenthal (D-CT)
  4. Blunt (R-MO) Brown (D-OH)
  5. Boozman (R-AR) Cantwell (D-WA)
  6. Burr (R-NC) Cardin (D-MD)
  7. Capito (R-WV) Carper (D-DE)
  8. Cassidy (R-LA) Casey (D-PA)
  9. Collins (R-ME) Coons (D-DE)
  10. Cornyn (R-TX) Cortez Masto (D-NV)
  11. Cramer (R-ND) Duckworth (D-IL)
  12. Crapo (R-ID) Durbin (D-IL)
  13. Daines (R-MT) Feinstein (D-CA)
  14. Enzi (R-WY) Gillibrand (D-NY)
  15. Ernst (R-IA) Hassan (D-NH)
  16. Fischer (R-NE) Heinrich (D-NM)
  17. Gardner (R-CO) Hirono (D-HI)
  18. Grassley (R-IA) Jones (D-AL)
  19. Hoeven (R-ND) Kaine (D-VA)
  20. Hyde-Smith (R-MS) Kelly (D-AZ)
  21. Inhofe (R-OK) Klobuchar (D-MN)
  22. Johnson (R-WI) Leahy (D-VT)
  23. Lankford (R-OK) Manchin (D-WV)
  24. Loeffler (R-GA) Menendez (D-NJ)
  25. McConnell (R-KY) Murphy (D-CT)
  26. Moran (R-KS) Murray (D-WA)
  27. Murkowski (R-AK) Peters (D-MI)
  28. Perdue (R-GA) Reed (D-RI)
  29. Portman (R-OH) Rosen (D-NV)
  30. Risch (R-ID) Schatz (D-HI)
  31. Roberts (R-KS) Schumer (D-NY)
  32. Romney (R-UT) Shaheen (D-NH)
  33. Rubio (R-FL) Sinema (D-AZ)
  34. Sasse (R-NE) Smith (D-MN)
  35. Scott (R-FL) Stabenow (D-MI)
  36. Scott (R-SC) Tester (D-MT)
  37. Shelby (R-AL) Udall (D-NM)
  38. Sullivan (R-AK) Van Hollen (D-MD)
  39. Thune (R-SD) Warner (D-VA)
  40. Tillis (R-NC) Whitehouse (D-RI)
  41. Toomey (R-PA)
  42. Wicker (R-MS)
  43. Young (R-IN)

Republitards 43/52= 82.6%
Dimocrapics 40/46 = 86.9%
Indies 1/2 = 50%
3 Senators didn’t vote at all, though there is no doubt,
given their records how they would have voted.
Graham (R-SC) Harris (D-CA)
Rounds (R-SD)

These are the enemies of the American people and must be removed from American politics by any and all means possible, …of course, primary and general election ballots are the preferred means of removal, but regardless of means, they must be removed from positions of political influence and power in the U.S. over the next 2 years.

1 Like

Well said KC, you beat me to it. Piling on for the sake of piling on is getting out of hand around here.

1 Like

I know I’m the so-called DNC sellout around here, but Sanders never said he expected to block the defense budget indefinitely. I quoted him directly yesterday saying his intention was to make Senators stay through the New Years, which he did. The point was to bring heat on McConnell for blocking the House resolution, not to scream “sellout” at everyone.

Why? The defense bill contains pay raises for military personnel, set to go into effect today. They are a huge segment of Georgia voters and if the bill gets blocked as the term expires, a whole new bill has to be drawn up in the next Congress. The bad headlines write themselves, “Democrats Uphold Trump Veto, Block Military Pay Raises for Six Months.”

Plus, the bill contains a provision that forces shell companies to disclose their actual owners to the Treasury and IRS. This is something progressives should be happy about. Carolyn Maloney and Sherrod Brown have been pushing it for years. They got it in the bill so it would pass. I have zero doubt Trump hates this provision.

1 Like

Sadly, you grossly exaggerate, which is the trick of a propagandist. Only a few Democrats have defected over this whole process, and it isn’t them holding it up now.