Home | About | Donate

To Avoid Cleaning Up 'Dumpings of This Elephant,' Pelosi Gives White House 48 Hours to Agree on Covid-19 Relief Package

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/18/avoid-cleaning-dumpings-elephant-pelosi-gives-white-house-48-hours-agree-covid-19

1 Like

This is a significant test for the GOP with the question does Corporate Immunity Trump BASIC PUBLIC HEALTH.

1 Like

She should take the $1.8 trillion white house offer with the stipulation trump can’t use this for political gain by putting his name or signature on the stimulus checks or letters. Of course the risk is then as greedy as trump is he may back out of the deal, but at least then pelosi can use this against him by showing how unreasonable he is if she is clever enough to do this.

2 Likes

~https://theintercept.com/2020/05/26/coronavirus-republicans-corporate-immunity-lawsuits/

Corporate Immunity Is Longtime Focus of Conservative Movement
ALEC, a Koch-backed group that drafts model bills for state legislators, has pushed corporate immunity measures on the state level since the early 2000s.

2 Likes

As a number of us posted, far earlier than May (then, DNC darling, Cuomo) indemnified far more than himself and the retirement home, long-term care, private equity stripped “health systems” slaughterhouse, warehouse, transit, etc employers and “shared” economy 1099 gig investors, long before ALEC simply used NY State liability relief budget amendments to laws copied, verbatim, by PA, CA… then the murderous red states? ~https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/nyregion/nursing-homes-coronavirus-new-york.html

2 Likes

We heard a lot of talk about tort reform in the Bush years.
Only recently has it resurfaced with such vigor.
Then comes the gutting of OSHA.
Then the unions.
We don’t need no stinking republicans.

6 Likes

Right On. The initial outbreak in Washington could have been avoided at the administrative level as there was no provision in standards from Medical interstate staffing agencies.

Seema Verma just lowered infection control standards that are already inadaquate.

1 Like

Excellent point!!

The republicans will refuse Nancy’s demand.
As written above, MissGirl-returns has Pelosi pegged correctly.

2 Likes

It’s not about corporate immunity. Dims privately want it as well. Once the Cons vomit up another billion or two for small big businesses, the immunity will remain and everyone will be happy, except the American People.

3 Likes

What dems are we talking about? It is an issue that needs debate the fact that this doesn’t happen and it is slipped into a recovery bill is the real crime.

1 Like

The way I read the article, the $1.8 T was never a firm offer and is now off the table, if for no reason other than McConnell will continue to refuse to bring it to a vote. But more important, that offer-that-isn’t is targeted at peripheral issues and apparently includes a lot of corporate pork. Eugene Robinson has a fairly decent article in WaPo yesterday (Saturday) or today.

1 Like

When Republicans mention “reform,” watch out: You are about to be sent to “reform school” (i.e., jail).

2 Likes

Look on the bright side. We can always burn elephant dung to heat our homes.
That’s assuming, of course, some of us will still have homes.

1 Like

I suspect their will be a relief bill before the end of this week. The reason is they are afraid of an uprising of the masses unlike this so-called republic-democracy as ever seen before. Everyone knows what’s been going on with this 2-party duopoly that is beholden to the rich and corporations. They throw bones to the “little people” expecting they will stay in-line. Guess what: those days are soon to be over. The oligarchy of the rich is coming to an end.

2 Likes

I loved the Andy Griffith Show. There was some really funny episodes on that show. I’m sure you know too. Hope your doing ok.

I wish I could share your optimism. I don’t believe “the masses” are anywhere near being ready to revolt, or that if they did they would be met with anything but the full force of the US military.

Sorry, the military doesn’t get involved in domestic-protesting movements(they are not allowed). Unless there’s something you know differently?

I’m probably doing better than most as I saw where this country was headed twenty-five years ago, and planned accordingly.

Great. Glad to hear that. Was worried that you had a heating problem(getting cold soon).