Home | About | Donate

To Break Big Pharma's Stranglehold, Doctors Votes for Ban on Drug Ads

To Break Big Pharma's Stranglehold, Doctors Votes for Ban on Drug Ads

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

In an attempt to combat the soaring cost of prescription drugs and Big Pharma's stranglehold on the U.S. healthcare system, the American Medical Association (AMA) has approved a new policy to "support a ban on direct-to-consumer advertising for prescription drugs and implantable medical devices."

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Shucks, Sanders voted for the ACA - which pointedly left out any ability of the gov't to bargain for drug prices ...

All research on new medicines should be done by the government.....The money saved on Medicare and Medicaid alone would pay for the research...They could then lease out the formula to other drug companies and it would not be so expensive there would be helpful competition.....If the reasoning for drugs being high is investor profit driven formulas and research then take both out of the equation...Universities and new students or anyone with a science degree of some sort could work there....The $billions of dollars saved in tax monies would more than support this...The problem with new drugs is profits and research and advertising and massive campaign checks Big CEO pay days and all the management....All good reasons to stop the madness....It is an easy solution...Drug testing would become above board with government standards no hidden agendas with large profits at stake....Simple solution....Why should our health be tied to greedy industry profits this is insane...This is not capitalism this is cronyisism...Pharma spends millions on lawmakers and super packs to rig the system and any attempt to fix it the GOP starts crying about free markets...They dont know what the fuck they are talking about they are just paid strawmen.

Finally, someone is talking about the barrage of drug commercials we have to watch just to watch a T.V. program. They are depressing, they never allow you to forget about health issues and just enjoy your evening, Pictures of Shingles and psoriasis and fear mongering illnesses are disgusting.
It's time to get hold of the companies doing these ads. There's a new one every other ad with names you can't pronounce and a three minute list of gruesome side effects. Makes for great T.V., I just turn the channel.

But how will people learn of their restless worry syndrome?

Take the drug ads out of JAMA and there'd be nothing left to read. The AMA? This whole thing is completely hypocritical.

Wish it worked that way, but last time I checked prices are the same here in Colorado as everywhere else. :frowning:

Join the AMA and sign a petition to urge Congress to ban DTC in the US

Visit jameslyonsweiler dot com for more info

(Sorry, new user here, would love to post the full link)

So the AMA is asking the government to censor information so patients have to rely on it's members, but we're supposed to believe this is about prices?

If the AMA wanted to reduce drug prices it would attack the policies of the FDA, which kept the price of Duraprim over 80 times the cost in India. No this is a blatant anti-consumer power grab by the AMA, aka business as usual for those scumbags.

The ACA didn't just leave out drug price negotiation, it specifically prohibits negotiating drug prices.

Prescription drugs should not be advertised on/in any media. They are misleading and only serve to coerce the viewer/reader to ask their doctor to prescribe it for them, which many are all too eager to do if they (the doctor and/or his practice) receive kickbacks from the manufacturer. Historically, advertising prescription medications was strictly prohibited (Direct-to-Consumer Advertising or DTCA) but the pharmaceutical companies gradually got their way first with print advertising (1980's) and then later TV advertising (1995). Reversing the ads and re-implementing the ban would benefit both the consumer and the medical practitioner: pharma ads are alarming and promote false hopes of total cures. Ban them all, please!

Thanx - i guess i didn't realize that - that makes a vote for it even worse, it seems to me ...

Even here in the Philippines you don't see ads for prescription meds. I asked Google
Wikipaedia what other countries allow direct to consumer advertising of prescription meds and it said New Zealand is the only one. I know that these are not guaranteed unimpeachable accurate sources, but it does seem to demonstrate that most of the world has better sense than to permit this dangerous practice,

"Ask your doctor if [name of med here] is right for you." Do the doctors who are asked ever say no or even spell out the potential side effects in detail so the patient-consumer can weigh the risk-benefit ratio to be able to make an informed decision?

Ten or more years ago comedian Bill Maher asked: "If you go to the doctor and ask for the med you want and get it, doesn't that make your doctor a 'pusher'?"

Doesn't BERNIE's singlepayer healthcare plan include negotiating for drug prices?

For God's sake, and for my sake, if not for your own and your children's sakes, volunteer, donate, and work like crazy to get Senator Sanders on the ballot as the nominee of the Democratic party. To leverage power for Bernie, take the pledge to write -in his name should SlickWillieShillary be the nominee--mebbe decide to vote Green? To take the pledge, go to www.citizensagainstplutocracy.org. Lots and lots of pledges will make even the corrupt DNC sit up and take notice--they want to win and will drop Shillary if Bernie seems the stronger choice.

Living in the heart of the nation's largest medical center, obesogenic in design, medical leaders must collaborate with public works departments in infrastructure remodeling to significantly decrease the top killers of our people; heart disease, obesity, HBP, diabetes, etc.

In their 2011 released book, Making Healthy Places, three medical doctors, Andrew Dannenberg, Howard Frumpkin, and Richard Jackson make this strong statement; “The trouble is that in the last half century, we have effectively engineered physical activity out of our daily lives. Health is determined by planning, architecture, transportation, housing, energy, and other disciplines at least as much as it is by medical care… The modern America of obesity, inactivity, depression, and loss of community has not ‘happened’ to us; rather we legislated subsidized, and planned it.”

Misleading advertisements are already illegal. Nobody is being coerced. If there were kickbacks why would advertising even be necessary? If you have the doctor in your pocket he hardly needs to be have the patient ask for the drug.

"Reversing the ads and re-implementing the ban would benefit both the consumer and the medical practitioner:"
Says who? The AMA, that bastion of consumer oriented altruism? Seriously guys TAKE ACCOUNT OF THE SOURCE. I'm not saying that you should automatically disbelieve anything that an interested party says, but you should take into account that they are an interested party.

" pharma ads are alarming and promote false hopes of total cures. "
First of all it's one or the other, not both. Secondly if that's the case then why can't the doctor just say "Nope, that drug won't cure you."? A

Well if they don't they're medically negligent. I don't know how it is in the Phillipines but in Australia or the US not telling people of potential side effects could get you sued into bankrupcy.

Well no, because he isn't getting paid to sell the drug he's been paid to treat you. In any case how is it accurate to call someone a "pusher" if they only give the drug WHEN ASKED? But even if it was, SO WHAT? What is wrong with people asking for a drug and getting it when they think it will work? It very well might. The AMA is just pissed people are working out the doctors aren't that necessar to the equation.

You raise good points. I worked in a mental health clinic for many years and it used to be that "sales reps" from the Pharmaceutical firms would come in frequently to give the prescribers samples of whatever psychotropic they were representing, ball point pens and note pads for us on the support staff, and once a month they would "sponsor" a pot luck lunch "inservice" where a psychiatrist would speak and share insights and experiences which would conclude with success stories about the drug their appearance was being "sponsored" by. They finally put a partial end to that practice and made it a rule that drug company sales reps could only see prescribers by appointment and were forbidden to give out goodies to nonprescriber clerical staffers like me.

My view is that modern medicine is too reliant on chemotherapy to treat everything, that they are too quick to reach for the prescription pad, too embedded in a system that looks for chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, prostate problems, diabetes, etc., where conditions are "managed" by ongoing prescription med usage and that rarely does an expensive prescription cure a condition, usually only keeps costly medications purchase and use ongoing.

Whether this would change under a single payor system without stringent highly specific regulatory rules is a very good question.

I often muse about the use of the term "healthcare" when so many US people are obese (diabetes etc often follow) and eat industrialized, processed food full of additives, as well as doing little exercise and having few holidays or sick leave. Lifestyle is the main producer of good or bad health- medical care is needed ,but usually less.