Home | About | Donate

To Combat the Climate Crisis, We Need a Government-Wide Mobilization

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/12/combat-climate-crisis-we-need-government-wide-mobilization

This all sounds rosy yet we can clearly see that it has been a government wide mobilization that caused the climate crises in the first place.

3 Likes

"To Combat the Climate Crisis, We Need a Government-Wide Mobilization."

What was yer first clue?

Mine was in the early aughts, when Little Man Shrub doubled down on the failure of the Clinton administration to persuade Congress to ratify the Kyoto accord. He was too busy cutting jobs and raising prices through NAFTA: free trade for Global Megacorp, unemployment for the masses.

It was at that time that I spelled it out as a greater mobilization that was required for wW II, the Manhattan Project, the Berlin airlift, reconstruction of Japan and Europe, and the entire space program that began soon after the war and culminated in the Apollo Project with multiple manned flights to the moon— all put together .

I retired as an economist, but until age 50 I was all about the “STEM” fields with a smattering of the Humanities, enough to understand why all the rest matter. In reality, the scale and scope of the mobilization we’re talking about is many times greater than the sum of all of those earlier ones, and it is inherently global. Our mission, should we decide to accept it, is to overhaul all of the critical systems of the planet, from the physical to the metaphysical, and do it in less than thirty years, with at least half of it completed in the next ten.

Wake up, Sleepy Joe.

"Your old road is rapidly fadin’,

Get out of the new one if you can’t lend a hand."