Home | About | Donate

To Create System That Puts 'Patients Ahead of Profits,' Sanders Unveils Medicare for All Act of 2019

To Create System That Puts 'Patients Ahead of Profits,' Sanders Unveils Medicare for All Act of 2019

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced Medicare for All legislation that would virtually eliminate the private insurance industry and provide comprehensive healthcare to every American at a lower overall cost than the current for-profit system.

1 Like

At the hospital, my partner about to have surgery. Saw Sanders on the waiting room TV, featured on CBS. Was amazed that one of the major networks was featuring Sanders. Happy to see it.

Now happy to see that it was for his new MFA bill, and that he bluntly confronts the insurance sector. That is the honest fighting spirit we have always needed.

8 Likes

I haven’t read the bill yet buy I hope it addresses the co-pay issue. I have Medicare and cannot afford the treatments I need because of the co-pays.

1 Like

I am also happy that, consistent with his 2016 campaign, he specifies the mechanisms by which it would be funded. What I want to see is specificity and inclusivity. Bernie excels in both.

5 Likes

Bernie needs to do what he did not do last time. He did not indicate the alternative way we would pay for a new and different system. He needs to keep giving a “healthcare for dummies” type speech that the naysayers can easily understand.
Once the public is assured that this mouse trap will catch more mice and cost less to do it, they will rush on board.
The elite will always want something better for themselves.

2 Likes

There seems to be a LOT of confusion about this. IS this as powerful as
H.R. 676, Single-Payer OR NOT???!!!

Caveat - I’ve not read the full plan yet. But I’m curious if it lays out how we transition to Medicare-for-All from the current system. There should be plans in place to move those who work in the healthcare and insurance industries into new jobs. There will be no shortage of jobs in the new Medicare-for-All system.

1 Like

It’s a good first step. Dems, need to capture senate and presidency for this to happen. As for its implementation, shouldn’t be that difficult. It took only 1 year for the first Medicare to be implemented.

This still doesn’t take away the fact that we are 1 century behind the other rich nations on this issue.

The “first Medicare” was implemented in one year only because it was bargained down to covering only those over 65, despite JFK and LBJ intending that Medicare cover ALL Americans.

Most 20th century legislation like Social Security and Medicare was enacted with very few pages, making it easy to understand and implement. Contrast that with the thousands of pages of corporate welfare weasel clauses Liz Fowler put in the ACA, not to mention that the ACA launch was scheduled four years after the March 2010 Congressional approval.

1 Like

Iĺl second that. And - hey, best wishes and prayers for partner recovery - fast, painless and may there be lots reasons for humor to speed it along even more.

1 Like

H.R.676 is dead, I’m not sure I see any point in referencing it anymore. H.R.1384 which replaced it sounds like it has the acceptance of any group associated with the push for Single Payer (e.g., read one of Adam Gaffney’s responses at https://www.healthcareforallnc.org/2019/introducing-hr-1384-medicare-for-all-act-of-2019/).

Now S.1804 is also dead (Bernie’s new bill as given in the linked PDF in this article does not have an S.# designation yet). You could read both texts (H.R.1384 and the PDF) yourself and decide or just wait for the advocates to respond.

I personally don’t see the point of Bernie doing this - I would have preferred he copied H.R.1384 verbatim and then as needed, added financing details not present in the house bill yet. I get push pack from political wonks here, but to the average voter there is no good reason to have two bills - just more confusion (note: Bernie was in communication with Pramila during the crafting of H.R.1384). That doesn’t mean Bernie’s bill is any worse than H.R.1384 - we’ll have to see (I won’t have a chance to read both bills enough to have an opinion myself for a while - I’m sure others will though and I’ll see what they have to say).

2 Likes

I’m mulling over if this is going to be one of my litmus tests. I’m not happy with Tulsi’s answers to questions on this though I like other aspects of her campaign - not sure if she would have a better or worse chance than Bernie yet in a general election against Trump. You’d think with Bernie being blunt on this issue and staying popular that other candidates would be willing to eschew money from the health insurance industry and take the obviously correct stance, but it hasn’t happened with a single other candidate that I can see (Kamala already walked back her correct answer in her town hall)

1 Like

I appreciate the info, dara. I haven’t been clear because of the constant re-naming of things

2 Likes

There are 535 Members of Congress, But only 1 that is seriously Representing WE THE PEOPLE.

BERNIE  SANDERS  2020
2 Likes

Taking the insurance parasites out of the equation for the 99% is a must have.

1 Like

Thanks OG! Surgery done, initial reports very good!

1 Like

System wide complexity is actually the biggest reason this system will always be much more inefficient than single payer. In a multi payer system providers need to set aside lots of money to manage the complexity. Large admin staffs, accountants, lawyers, etc. Single saves tons by simplifying the system. There are institutional savings too, profits, high executive pay, marketing and lobbying costs, all gone under single payer. But, system wide inefficiencies are a huge factor too.

2 Likes

MEDICARE FOR ALL ! This sounds wonderful as it]s time to have something really great as a benefit for being a citizen. Now, clean the air, water , soil and food, and turn the military into the Army Corps of Engineers and rebuilt these levees , and roads and bridges, and EXPAND all the public and national parks----as for my favorite: build dorms for Congress with curfews, so that they can focus on their work AND where Congress decides that ALL Americans have the same health care. : )

3 Likes

Brilliant, love it, “public servants” indeed! Entirely transform the “incentive package” that attracts certain candidates to “public service!”

3 Likes

Agree, @stardustIBID has an excellent idea here. While congress is in session They MUST live in the dorms and submit to it’s rules

Terrific

3 Likes