Home | About | Donate

To End Impunity for 'Deliberate Destruction' of Planet, International Lawyers Drafting Plan to Criminalize Ecocide

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/30/end-impunity-deliberate-destruction-planet-international-lawyers-drafting-plan

8 Likes

Most governments laugh at these efforts. It’s like Israel caring about international criticism of its treatment of Palestinians–outrage without power cannot make change happen. More effort must be placed on gaining political power and less on showboat activities like this.

8 Likes

Get used to that picture. That’s what the equatorial landscape is going to look like in 2030. Very little vegetation, temperatures hotter than hell, and no people or cattle, as there will be no water there.
Good times ahead. And nothing on the horizon to stop it.

6 Likes

And Sydney Australia just suffered through their first weekend of 40C temperatures. And it’s not even summer yet in the Southern Hemisphere. The Great Unraveling continues…

7 Likes

Australia is definitely a klaxon call to the rest of the world. What used to be an anomaly is now average year.

3 Likes

Don’t expect Biden and his minions to do anything about it

1 Like

Seems to be picking up steam on our West Coast too

3 Likes

And thousands of animals in Australia will burn to death with the coming fires; a now yearly occurance as you say. Tragic. I still can’t get the image out of my mind of a charred joey kangaroo who was unable to escape the flames. What a truly horrible way to die!

6 Likes

A couple we know in the upper plains tell us how ungodly hot it is in the summer these days. And although retirees from western Pa still flock to Arizona and Florida, for the life of me I have no idea why. Arizona is dry and hot, and Florida is wet and hot, all year.
It’s probably been ten years since we vacationed in Florida. It was hot all day, and the thunderstorms every night were horrible. And that was in October.
The last few years we’ve gone to Canada. It’s more reminiscent of the climate we had here in Pittsburgh when we were kids.

4 Likes

My wife cries every time she sees a poor burnt up koala on the news. A fate that awaits many of us I’m afraid.

3 Likes

Not just there Brian:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/26/more-than-3-billion-people-affected-by-water-shortages-data-shows

3 Likes

I lived in Florida for 3 years in the 80’s and I would never do it again. Your description is correct, and add:
Everything smells like mildew; Movie theaters, Malls, grocery stores, homes. I lived in Ft Meyers and St Pete. In summer the Gulf is so warm it is miserable to swim in - no relief from the humidity and heat even at 2am.

1 Like

All too true. Up until now most of our wars were fought over the geopolitics of petroleum and capitalism. And brutal wars that have been. But now just imagine what atrocities will be committed when fighting over the last remaining sources of fresh water.
OMGodzilla indeed.

3 Likes

Book ‘em, Danilo.

3 Likes

The smell indeed. Back in 2010 my wife had a conference in St Petersburg and afterward we drove to key largo for a little diving. We were shocked as to just how much the landscape of south Florida resembled that of the back country of the Dominican Republic. Blighted neighborhoods and half finished buildings (to be honest, the last time we were in DR was 2017, and it looked more modern than Florida)
I don’t know how sane people live there.

4 Likes

Here’s somewhere they can start:

~https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/10/22/area-burned-in-indonesia-fires-greater-than-the-netherlands

For palm oil.

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/09/a-continent-ablaze-why-fires-are-tearing-across-south-america

For cattle grazing/soy bean production.
(Photos of burned/charred monkeys are horrendous.)

5 Likes

We inherited a couple of acres in Arkansas on a low mountain at the end of a dead end road. We thought about a retirement home there but have decided against it due to increasing heat down there and the migration of killer bees.

2 Likes

I fear much of the planet will not be habitable by mid-century.

5 Likes

As usual the US is the last player to get on board with a good Idea.

2 Likes

A few years ago I coached a baseball team that played a couple of tournaments down near Little Rock. While it was early October it was still OMG hot, and no wind.
I don’t know how the people down there do it.

2 Likes