Home | About | Donate

To Evade NSA, Microsoft Begins Building Data Centers in Germany

To Evade NSA, Microsoft Begins Building Data Centers in Germany

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

In an attempt to evade the long arm of U.S. intelligence that could mark a sea change in internet privacy, Microsoft has announced plans to build two new data centers in Germany that will store user information in a secure network and not allow access to anyone—including the U.S. government and Microsoft staff themselves—without explicit approval by the user or a "data trustee."

If permission is granted by the user or the trustee, Microsoft would still be required to operate under their supervision.

The look/see folk will be German which provides no more protection to the end user regardless of where the servers/data center is located.

Until recently low electrical power costs were the primary driver determining location of data centers, resulting in many centers being located in the inland Pacific Northwest and other areas producing more hydroelectric power than local consumption demanded. Evading transparency obviously trumps power costs.

With its relatively high power costs and elimination of nuclear power it will be interesting to see how data centers affect the German economy and environment.

Apparently no one here has read the so-called "Freedom Act" which is a slight revision of the intrusive "Patriot Act". Microsoft is both headquartered and based here in the U.S. which allows the U.S. Government access period.

Papiere gefallen!

It already is common - corps have been "overseasing" operations for decades ...

So Microsoft can expand it's empire ... They will still make deals with NSA, et.al. here, while pretending to protect privacy there .... Not to mention that the issue of selling all our data to commercial interests will go untouched, not to mention their own use/misuse of our data, not to mention ....

"If permission is granted by the user or the trustee, Microsoft would still be required to operate under their supervision."

And you say that with a straight face? LOL - Oh, i am sure that Micro. will allow me to "supervise" the use om my data .... that's a good one ....

unfortunately that won't do much good, the German BND has been doing the same thing as the NSA and they share their info.

Wasn't sure - so I put it through google translate: "Papers Please!" - is that right?

Psst.... yo...wanna buy a bridge?

Jawohl. :wink: