Home | About | Donate

To Feed the World, Tap Into Organic's Potential: Study

To Feed the World, Tap Into Organic's Potential: Study

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A new review of four decades of science has come to his conclusion: organic agriculture has a key role to play in feeding the world.

To analyze the body of research, author John Reganold, Regents Professor of Soil Science and Agroecology at Washington State University, and doctoral candidate Jonathan Wachter compared conventional and organic farming using the metrics of productivity, environmental impact, economic viability, and social well-being.

Buy locally produced food. Less shipping, less waste. Even with drought, waste and spoilage, there is enough to feed the worlds hungry. Be sure poverty was not on the menu in Davos. There has to be something very wrong with an economic model that requires, to sustain itself, endless suffering.

Well, bloody hell, only took 4 decades, hallelujah!

Chemical poison corporate big-ag is based on production of units regardless the actual costs to Planet Earth, not sustainability, health of humans, animals, pollinators, agricultural lands/soils, habitat, or water resources and all the places the poison & fertilizers wash into and its degradation of those resources.

I practice the "French-Intensive" AKA "Deep Bed" method of strictly organic gardening, it is 30 or more % more productive than compacted row-crop production and suits me and all the critters very well.

Organic farming and gardening are life sustaining, the soil is alive, the insects are alive, in balance - chemical ag is death to everything but the "bottom-line" - profits and corporate economic, food supply domination above all else.

No-till farming offers many benefits. It may well do a better job than many organic operations in saving soil, reducing erosion, building and storing carbon, and yielding less expensive food. Certainly there are some aspects of conventional farming that are less than ideal and non-sustainable. To my mind some type of a melding of the best ideas of organic agriculture with no-till farming is the preferred way forward.

I grew up on a farm in the 50s & 60s. When I was 5, we spread manure on the fields to fertilize them; when I was 15, we hired somebody to spread anhydrous ammonia. The "Green Revolution" was on. It was decades on before I heard somebody (Richard Heinberg, maybe?) articulate it as: Now we are eating oil.

Hard to think of something more unsustainable than petroleum-dependent agriculture.

I suspect Masanobu Fukuoka would agree. I recommend his book, The One-Straw Revolution.

Spraying for Zika virus mosquitoes will mean big sales for pesticide producers like Monsanto and bad news for organic growers in Florida.

Zika spraying good bye bees

The mosquito has been there for eons, and has transmitted Yellow Fever in the past. What's new is the migration of the Zika virus into Florida to infect them, and us, and whatever else Zika infects.