Home | About | Donate

To Fight Racism, Protect the Right to Vote

To Fight Racism, Protect the Right to Vote

LeeAnn Hall

The cold-blooded murder of nine people at a Charleston church made it impossible to deny the persistence of racism across the nation. So do the symbols of support for slavery and segregation that remain emblazoned on public property throughout the South, and scattered among some Northern states as well.

Protect whose right to vote? The voter suppression tactics of this era have primarily blocked the poor from voting. Such measures as the voter photo ID mandate effectively block many of the poor, elderly, and the disabled from voting -- esp.in the rural counties. Most of these are white.

I suppose we can "look on the bright side" -- for whom can the poor vote, anyway? Republicans represent the interests of the rich, and today's Democrats represent the middle class (with an occasional pat on the head to low-wage workers). To my knowledge, third parties (that aren't on the right wing) stand with the gainfully employed, in a country where there are (last I heard) 7 jobs for every 10 people who urgently need one. No party, no politician, stands with the jobless poor or many of the unemployable (disabled, etc.).

[quote="DHFabian, post:2, topic:11473, full:true"]
Protect whose right to vote? The voter suppression tactics of this era have primarily blocked the poor from voting. Such measures as the voter photo ID mandate effectively block many of the poor, elderly, and the disabled from voting -- esp.in the rural counties. Most of these are white.

Voter suppression has lowered turnout to 36%. After years of Republican voter suppression, its going to take a while and near 100% voter turnout to turn things around.