Home | About | Donate

To Live Now As Human Beings Should Live

To Live Now As Human Beings Should Live

For those dreading the ghastly impossible becoming real on Inauguration Day, an alternative awaits: The 2017 Peace Ball will celebrate "voices of hope and resistance...in order for us to continue to do the work we do." Hosted by the new Museum of African-American History and featuring 30 artists and activists - from Angela Davis to Van Jones to Alice Walker - the Ball reflects the spirit of its first host Howard Zinn: "To live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.”

...and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.” Thank you Howard!

It would seem that we have all been lost whence the moment we arrived. Each life so brief. The Training begins instantly and seemlessly. All, learning to accept that which has been passed down, through a conduit of fear. Trance Like, we trust in those ways that we have continually been instructed to believe-with all our "might". Some can look into that familiar haze and imagine that the end of the Earth is nigh.
We have come to an edge, perhaps, that can easily seem terrifying. It is very possible this daunting precipice leads only to an end quite deserved, or with a large portion of courage and collective gumption it may well be, at last, the starting point, a pivotal and evolutionary place.
Is it possible that while we reel from the trauma of recent events we are also glimpsing a new epoch? One that will allow for the necessary shifts, enabling our kind to finally become human. Can we recognize our responsibility in imagining a world that is entirely unfamiliar? Can we chose, ..."to live now as we think human beings should live"? There is something out there waiting for us to arrive. It is "OUR" Movement. It will belong to all creatures-human or otherwise. We have seen the past and we must now imagine the future.
May we all arrive in ONE peace!

Would it be possible for someone to name all the people in the collection of portraits? I know many of them, but am missing a few and want to seek out their work. Thanks!

just what I needed to remind me of all that is good in this world. thank you Howard Zinn , whose words rest on my kitchen bulletin board, and those who have put this event together this year, needed now more than ever. fight on comrades for the world we want to live in, and in the meantime , succor ourselves with the good and the loving near and far. Peace to us all.