Home | About | Donate

To 'Nurture Human Lives Rather Than Take Them Away,' 2020 Democrats Urged to Back Slashing of Annual Pentagon Budget by $200 Billion

To 'Nurture Human Lives Rather Than Take Them Away,' 2020 Democrats Urged to Back Slashing of Annual Pentagon Budget by $200 Billion

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In an effort to rein in the bloated military-industrial complex and free up funds for "programs that nurture human lives rather than take them away," a coalition of nearly two dozen progressive advocacy groups on Thursday launched a campaign urging 2020 Democratic presidential candidates to support cutting the Pentagon budget by at least $200 billion per year.

5 Likes

Sounds good to me but I’m not booking that Cruise just yet…

2 Likes

Someone some where in D.C. Is saying “Millenial’s, Give me a break,” " we have two more wars to start. We must remove the thug Maduro and avenge the 911 attacks that Iran sponsored."

12 Likes

Yes, but not likely to happen. I would state the following: All of America’s wars since Korea, have been unauthorized by the Constitution of the United States which gives Congress the sole authority to declare wars; and thereby were… and are according to the Constitution, illegal wars and the people responsible for the deaths of American, soldiers in those wars need to be tried as war criminals, since they committed treason to the Constitution of the United States.

19 Likes

It is curious that with all government spending except military spending, government is expected to do more with less, that is, make smarter investments.

11 Likes

I doubt that will happen unless the dems have all branches , and then I’m not so sure.

2 Likes

$200B is a start. Realistically, we need to END WAR, worldwide. Anything else is delusional, given the capability of nuclear and artificial intelligence weapons to literally kill everything.

22 Likes

Good Start.

5 Likes

I wish that progressives, including Common Dreams, would STOP using dollar figures supplied by the lying national security state. The totally phony $ 733 billion cited above does not even include the CIA, NSA, Nukes, Homeland (In)Security, and much else.

The actual figure is close to $ 1.2 Trillion - and is rife with corruption. Also on the chopping block should be the Littoral Navy, the F-35, nuke “modernizing”, just for openers . .

25 Likes

I hope there are enough people in the Congressional Branch that actually care about Global Heating and its effects on virtually all life on the planet, that there are enough people who care about life on earth to eschew war and its endless drain on We the People of the World by taking all of their resources and pouring it into war financing, deadlier weaponry, and destroying smaller countries that don’t subscribe to fascism and Nazism to cut this war machine off at the fuel tank and ammo factories.
*I lived through the result of this sort of planning, at Bikini Atoll in 1956. I survived, but many thousands did not. We the People have got to stop this relentless march toward destruction. As I said above, we have to assure that there are enough people in congress who will evoke our Constitutional Power to stop this madness and refuse to take the multimillion dollar bribes offered by the MICC to keep the wars and war spending going.

I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.

© Stephen M. Osborn
2 November 2006

That is a poor goal to spend every bit of our wealth on vs reviving our efforts to provide humanitarian aid and progress to ourselves and the world. Don’t elect, or re-elect any of the multi-millionaires and billionaires who have taken the bribes, and used their positions to boost war and war funding.
*We need a peaceful regime change through Constitutional electoral processes. Elect those who value long-term survival of life on this planet over growing numbers of zeros in their bank accounts. Then we need to work hard to support them against the powers and temptations of the Plutocrats who currently run this nation and rape the world for their own profit.
;-})

10 Likes

Yea, Cant argue with that.

3 Likes

There has never been a national conversation about this. I hope its time has come. The main stream media talk more about the tiny CPB and NEA budgets than about the war budget. Even progressive senators, like mine in New Mexico, consistently and unquestioningly vote for the pentagon budget, while ignoring that it can’t account for 21 trillion dollars because of…“accounting errors.”

7 Likes

National Security? Don’t need no stinking “army” everyone in country has a gun. The military can stand-down and take a break, the locals got it covered and then some, ain’t that right boy’s? Yep, boys and their toys :((( Thou shall not kill! What do you not understand?

5 Likes

If North Korea can hold the whole world at bay, including the massive US military, with just a mere 12 estimated nukes, how much military do we really need to keep us safe? I say keep your 12 nukes if you must (though I consider them an abomination and would like to see all of them abolished worldwide) then disband the rest of the military, like Costa Rica did, and use the money for life, not death.

5 Likes

We also need to eliminate a standing army along with WMDs.

7 Likes

I am glad you survived such a nuclear disaster so that you can remain a witness against it as long as you have breath in your lungs, Stephen.

5 Likes

It about time they even started to talk about it. It has been a sacred cow for far too long. If Russia can defend itself with a 60 billion a year military , it being the largest Country on the Globe and bordering Countries that are a significant threat and have had a long History of attacking Russia, the USA should be able to defend itself with 40 billion a year given the only two Countries on its border are Mexico and Canada.

7 Likes

Thank you Giovanna. We’ve all gotta keep tryin’!
;-})

1 Like

Won’t happen with an Establishment Dim President

5 Likes

At least someone in Washington is finally pointing the finger at the obvious culprit.
As early as the last election cycle doing so would have been career (or conventional) suicide for any US politician regardless of party affiliation.

5 Likes