Home | About | Donate

'To Protect Health and Safety of All,' Second Debate Between Biden and Covid-Infected Trump to Be Virtual

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/08/protect-health-and-safety-all-second-debate-between-biden-and-covid-infected-trump

“I’m not eatin’ my veggies, mommy! And you can’t make me.”

7 Likes

You know, if the nation wasn’t in such dire straights and on the verge of collapse, this would be considered one of the goddamn funniest campaigns in US political history.

8 Likes

Trump knows that he’d lose the debate anyway.
He’s angry that he can’t get in the same room with Biden and do a Typhoid Mary on him.
It’s like telling an assassin he can’t get into close proximity with the guy he’s been paid to hit.
F off, Trump.

5 Likes

Trump the chump, like Bush the drunk, was hired by the slave State invention, the electoral college, designed to provide more political power to States with smaller populations. Undemocratic on its face. Since attaining office he has been entirely preoccupied with getting reelected, as personal problems which the presidency insulates him from, continue to mount.

His Presidency consists of maintaining his $70,000 hairdo, signing meaningless often illegal executive orders, tweeting all night long and playing golf almost every day. During his numerous excursions to his own resort properties he has lined his own pocket by collecting the cost of the White House staff and Secret Service on those properties, which, as President he promotes heavily.

Trump has spent the last 3-1/2 years wasting time and hiding from debtors, including the IRS and New York State. Now he has the gall to claim a virtual debate would be a waste of time??? He just does not want to be put into a position where he can’t spend the entire debate talking over everyone else. Con artists need to control their environment in order to succeed with their BS.

6 Likes

Cancel both debates. Trump can’t/won’t follow the rules in any format. Why bother?

14 Likes

The article states that:

“The Commission on Presidential Debates announced Thursday morning that next week’s debate between Democratic nominee Joe Biden and President Donald Trump—who is infected with the coronavirus—will be held virtually ‘in order to protect the health and safety of all involved’.”

As expected Trump never addressed this concern from the CPD. He either does not realize or does not care that his presence presents a danger to nearly everyone who would be in that room. If he does not understand this simple concept then the debate certainly needs to be cancelled. Trying to engage in an intelligent and rational conversation with Trump, whose main concern is his own self-aggrandizement, as well as his loyal followers is an exercise in futility. And cutting off his microphone during the debate if he were to interrupt Biden or the moderator would, despite his belief, certainly be warranted. But it should not get to that point since Trump, who should be under quarantine, would have no credible reason for being in that room with other people.

8 Likes

I have been really enjoying your posts these past, what, days, weeks, months? Keep up the good words!

3 Likes

This type of format removes Trump’s ability to dodge questions and shout and rant and rave when Biden is talking.

He has absolutely no defense for anything he has done as president and he never intended to answer questions, he only knows how to be rude and obnoxious and interrupt people when they are talking.

As witnessed by former employees at the Pure White House he is accustomed to shouting people down when they are speaking, he is IL Duce, the Fuhrer and the Mob Boss all rolled into one.

He demands that he be loved and worshiped every hour of the day, Kim Jong Un knows how to stroke his insane ego and so does the Republican Party.

Trump’s demands for the second debate: If I cannot scream, shout and stamp my feet till I am red in the face, we don’t need no stinkin debate.

6 Likes

For that matter Pence should not have participated in a debate either since he had attended two superspreader events before the debate. At one of them Sen. Mike Lee was seated right behind Pence the entire time, undoubtedly breathing directly onto the back of the vice president’s head at close range.

It appears that this administration has absolutely no concern regarding the health and welfare of this country.

3 Likes

Thanks very much, RRR. I’m glad Common Dreams doesn’t censor me like other so-called progressive sites do.
And the level of discourse here is far higher quality than anywhere else.

5 Likes

rejoice folkes.
1st = prez has about 9% chance of being dead by next week.
2nd = his tantrums has the boomer girls leaving his side.
3rd = Young peoples are already in line and going to vote early.
4th = A change in DC may assist reducing our daily covid19 death count.
5th = A normal voter does not laugh off 20,000 lies.

If Joe cannot serve as president before inaugeration, will the DNC annoint Hillary??

2 Likes

Of course a virtual debate would be a waste of time for Trump. If I were Trump I would refuse too. A virtual debate would work only if there were actual policy issues/positions to debate. Trump has none. His whole campaign is based on bullying and bombast. Hard to do unless your opponent is there in person. Let it go. There is nothing to be gained by more debates. There is simply nothing that is debatable beyond Trumps disastrous administration.

4 Likes

“And then they cut you off whenever they want.”

BINGO!

2 Likes

Biden should “debate” an empty chair on national TV. The chair would be more sensible and intelligent than the Angry Orange Psychopath.

4 Likes

Maybe Debate Clint Eastwood instead. Threaten to allow Biden the Camera’s for 90 minutes without Trump, he will slither back.

2 Likes

“And then they cut you off whenever they want,” complained Trump,

Translation: IF I CANNOT BE RUDE AND A LYING BULLY…

1 Like

You bring up a good point. Trump seems to be running the same playbook from four years ago which was of course, rally the base, suppress as many votes as possible, and hope the dye in the wool Republican voter sticks with their normal voting pattern. Trumps people seem to have forgotten that this time he can no longer claim the mantle of political novice. This time, he actually has a record to run on. And that record has been so awful, so haphazard, that he is actually motivating people to come out to vote, not for Joe Biden, but against him.
Hatred is an amazing motivation to vote. It’s a lesson the republicans learned generations ago with Nixon’s southern strategy. Hopefully, it’s one the democrats have finally caught on to as well.

1 Like

The bottom line still remains what is has always been, at least since Nixon anyway. If turnout is below 55%, trump just may still stand a chance. If it’s 50% or lower, he wins. If it’s above 55% the democrats will probably win. If the democrats can get turnout as high as 60% (which I doubt) you could call it a blowout, as there is a hard line for conservative voters in the USA that they rarely rise above.
We still do outnumber the nuts, but nuts are highly motivated voters. The Dems need big turnout. The problem is that their current leadership has never really addressed voter suppression in any serious way. That could still cost them this year.

1 Like

You see, it’s not about informing the American people about his plans or his lies, it’s only about him. Screw the people, let them languish with no job, no income, no healthcare, no honesty from the WH, and a first family that only cares about the wealthy or the well connected elite.

1 Like