Home | About | Donate

To Save Net Neutrality, New Campaign Tells Lawmakers: Listen to Voters or 'Pay at the Polls'

To Save Net Neutrality, New Campaign Tells Lawmakers: Listen to Voters or 'Pay at the Polls'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Bid by Fight for the Future to overturn FCC's move ramps up pressure on lawmakers to support a Congressional Review Act

Can someone share the campaign contributions (a/k/a bribes) that would account for the fact that we don’t instantly have, at a minimum, 49 Senate votes on this?

Why wait until elections??

I just sent the following email to freepress.net in response to their list of senators supporting the CRA:

“Unfortunately both of my senators (NC) are part of the problem. Committed corporatists and Southern white males, both are of the opinion that net neutrality would be a terrible idea for the country, meaning what they and their corporate donors and their ideological supporters (Southern white males and the women who adore them) would like the country to be “again.” One is in class III and insisting he will not run again (apparently wants to spend more time with his family), and the other is in the middle of his first term of trying to “make America great again” from the Southern white male perspective and not too worried about reelection.”

WHAT I/WE NEED IS A LIST OF SENATORS WHO ARE KNOWN OR LIKELY TO OPPOSE NET NEUTRALITY AND WHO ARE UP FOR ELECTION THIS YEAR.

Unfortunately freepress.net does not have a Contact page (I sent the email as a reply to their request for me to call my senators). Fightforthefuture DOES have a contact page, so I sent it to them with the request for a list, and the additional remark that while we know that MCs seldom respond to comments from citizens not in their constituency, any time I might spend contacting senators on this issue would be far more likely to be productive contacting opponents of net neutrality in other states who are actually up for election.

Seems obvious that we need a public option (i.e., public enterprises and cooperatives to grow within the real economy) in many parts of our economy. As far as providing the internet, banking, in healthcare (single payer, but a public option at least), among other industries. There’s also a growing movement towards remunicipalization, since privatizing things like utilities has been an utter disaster. For decades now, the neoliberals have had their chance to prove that private enterprise does stuff better than public enterprises, and it has almost always been shown to not be true. Wall Street and AT&T can lobby the government all they want, as soon as transparent, public and efficient institutions are in place, it will be a new ballgame. Not going to happen with the rotten politicians in power, in both parties, but it can once we clean house.