Home | About | Donate

'Today Is One of the Heaviest Days of My Life'

'Today Is One of the Heaviest Days of My Life'

Cathy Breen

I've written often about our Iraqi refugee friend and his oldest son from Baghdad. I will call them Mohammed and Ahmed. They made the torturous flight last year from Baghdad to Kurdistan and then across Turkey. They were on three Greek islands before permission was granted them to continue their trip. They passed through several countries at the time the borders were being closed. They arrived finally at their destination in late September 2015. Finland.

Thanks for putting faces to this seemingly never ending tragedy. I live for the day that Bush, Cheney, Rice, Obama and all the rest responsible for this, and all of the other illegal wars are tried before tribunals. Justice will one day prevail.

In addition to his stand against TPP, and Congressional term limits, the only other issue I agree with Trump on is keeping Guantanamo open so we have cells for the warmongering politicians when they are brought to justice. Although I would prefer they be housed in a Siberian gulag, I am a merciful person and will agree to send them to Cuba.

This story is so tragic. These people so terrorized by acts of jerks with great power.

These current ME wars of US Empire all spring from one tragic event. I will always remain silent here never questioning anything relative to that event out of silent protest.. What am I bringing up? Damn I have no idea!

You left out Secretaries of State Clinton and Kerry. But I don't know where the "Tribunals" would occur. Who would run them, who would be the people passing judgment, what would the punishments be and who would impose them?

The post World War II Nuremburg trials of the surviving Nazi leadership is often cited as the role model for the tribunals that people envision. But Nuremburg had the authority of the war's winners. No such authority exists to bring Bush, Cheney et al to any tribunal-like gathering, and to my knowledge no one anywhere is putting a tribunal together as of now.

All good points. Thanks for your taking the time to reply. Possibly the United Nations should start a serious discussion of this very subject.

"Possibly the United Nations should start a serious discussion of this very subject."

That would be good and, if the UN would do do they would be the organization with the most credibility to take charge of that. But I have not heard anyone publicly propose that such a tribunal be formed

We the people of the world have no power to agitate the UN into acting, particularly against the Big Power members of the Security Council.

If member nations would begin speaking out in the General Assembly demanding tribunals, that could get things going, but sadly I don't see that happening. The guilty are and look to remain still at large.