Home | About | Donate

Tonight You Should Be at the Federal Courthouse Nearest Denouncing Trump's Supreme Court Nominee

Tonight You Should Be at the Federal Courthouse Nearest Denouncing Trump's Supreme Court Nominee

Michael Moore

The following message was posted to Michael Moore's Facebook page Tuesday morning:

Another Dark Day Is Upon Us.

There's no way to put a good face on what will happen tonight at 8pm when Donald J. Trump begins his attempted takeover/coup of our United States Supreme Court. Tonight he will announce his first choice to fill the seat the Republicans have refused to let President Obama fill for the past year.

Moore is correct. Trump and the GOP couldn't care less about Muslims entering the US. Their ban is designed to be a distraction from the issues they DO care about...installing corporate appointees at cabinet and judicial levels, selling off public land, and gutting Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and other "domestic programs" to bolster corporate welfare for the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC).

"We must be loud and present on this most important issue on this most important night. I'll keep you posted here throughout the day..."

Ummm... so?

What the hell is the point of standing around waving signs in the dark in front of a closed building downtown where:

1. Everybody has gone home.

2. They had absolutely nothing to do with this supreme court pick.

3. Absolutely no specific demands and ultimatums are given - with physical or economic consequences of not complying with our demands.

Does Moore and all the rest of the US liberaloid left think that passively saying please-please, will alter the prerogatives of the powerful in the least???

"Let me give you a word of the philosophy of reform. The whole history of the progress of human liberty shows that all concessions yet made to her august claims have been born of earnest struggle. The conflict has been exciting, agitating, all-absorbing, and for the time being, putting all other tumults to silence. It must do this or it does nothing. If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing up the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

This struggle may be a moral one, or it may be a physical one, and it may be both moral and physical, but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress... Men may not get all they pay for in this world, but they must certainly pay for all they get. If we ever get free from the oppressions and wrongs heaped upon us, we must pay for their removal. We must do this by labor, by suffering, by sacrifice, and if needs be, by our lives and the lives of others."

Frederick Douglass, 1857

http://www.blackpast.org/1857-frederick-douglass-if-there-no-struggle-there-no-progress#sthash.UtMgDPXM.dpuf

Apparently he does care about it as evidenced by the content of the order and the already occurring impacts. What is your point? Do you consider resistance to be something to be rationed and allotted to some things and not others?

Firefighters would call the Muslim ban a spot fire...critical to extinguish, but keep enough resources at the ready for the main burn that is an even bigger, broader threat.

It is quite interesting, in a somewhat morbid way, watching Americans degenerate with amazing rapidity into a quasi-fascist mob. I'm not talking about Trump and his kleptocratic administration. I'm talking about the people who are taking to the streets in a national hissy fit at the very existence of the Trump presidency. People who rant and rave at whatever the corporate mass media has told them they should be pissed off about today. And, of course, the mass media sold many people on their "Russia hacked the election" bullshit.

So now I am waiting to see. Will this national hissy fit wind up devolving into an impromptu civil war? Or will they (the people who use the mass media to whip millions of Americans into a frenzy) decide they now have the support to institute a coup d'etat?
Either way, they will need to suspend the Constitution. Either way, they will be able to proceed with their neoliberal economic agenda and their neocon war agenda. Which was the whole point all along.

What, did you think Rachel Maddow and other virulent anti-Trumpers in the mass media are intent on restoring democracy, or something like that? No, they are paving the way for the power structure which has been partially displaced by Donald Trump. Clinton was supposed to win, damn it, so the neoliberal neocon agenda cold proceed on schedule. But the voters messed that up. So first they have to convince enough of you that Trump must go — No! Matter! What! — to justify what they must do to restore (the oligarch’s) order.

Protesting communicates to leaders that we expect them to act on our behalf even if the trumpster opposition laughs at our righteous indignation. Public protest is right and proper. Our own leadership needs to respond by cultivating the chutzpah and strategies necessary to stop this runaway train. Hanging out until 2018 collecting campaign funds doesn't sound like they've developed the playbook much. Give to turnout.org if they' re effectively rooting out vote supression. That might slow down the train some slowly....but these people we're up against have lots of guns and they know how to use them. We really need to be VERY realistic and SOOOOON!!!! Making nice with people holding guns doesn't seem .....well.... I don't like the image that calls up.....

Holy Chit!

Three Progressive Judge spots are gone? Well that's it then.

Game Over.

There are only two Dem Justices younger than 70 I believe. Ginsburg is 80. This is why this was not the election for progressives to have a temper tantrum. Some of us tried to point out this bigger picture. Oh well. We are farther from single payer, anti-fracking (we'll be subsidizing coal bigly soon I bet), and labor rights than we ever were.

Unfortunately,

None of those things was as important as avoiding nuke war with the Russians and killing the treasonous TPP. Clinton, who started seven wars, and pushed hard for the TPP, was just too risky for many of us Bernie supporters. And clearly so was Obama.

Those are already proving to be silly assumptions. Steve Bannon ain't a man of peace.

Public protest without a demand and real consequences for not meeting that demand is utterly useless.

As the Wobs say: "Direct action gets the goods"

You might want to read my full comment again - including the Frederick Douglass quote - or would Frederick Douglass, if he were alive today, be accused by the liberal-left of being a police provocateur?

It's only been ten days or so! The resistance has yet to coalesce and form itself. Have a little patience. The big fights both within and with the regime are still ahead.

Yes, but I have no reason to believe that things have changed since the long campaign of totally ineffective resistance against Bush, followed by that even more ineffective thing called "occupy".

At the one local protest I've been to so far, I was shocked at the young age of the people there. I recognized only a couple of us old farts from the Iraq War Resistance - when the average age at the protests was about 50. So maybe there is hope. The most important thing is that real sacrifice, maybe, for a few, even the ultimate sacrifice, is going to be needed this time. Remember Frederick Douglass's times and other brave resisters for freedom from Harriet Tubman to John Brown.

Sometimes protests have consequences that we don't think about:

There was no peace candidate. In less than 30 days Trump/T-Rex/Bannon are going to wipe the Middle East from the face of the Earth.

But we will survive that since nobody over there has ICBM's, and the Russians may be allies instead of deadly nuclear opponents.

There's nothing silly about picking a fight with a weak opponent. It's smart. It's survival. That alone was worth the price of admission. Keeping Clinton away from her sick fantasy of invading Russia with her NATO forces massed on the border and Hillary's shaking Parkinson's finger on the nuke button was paramount. She was going to risk nuclear holocaust inside the USA, that's how silly she was.

Trump still has to defuse that one. The fighting is intense in the Ukraine the past few days.

I'm pretty sure that's your sick fantasy. Now that the supremacists are in power, you'll need to cling to that delsuional belief even harder.

No, it was Clinton as Secretary of State and her deputy Victoria NuLand who massed NATO on the Russian border and called Putin Hitler, which is code for intervention and regime change, which both have lobbied hard for.

CNN said:

Washington (CNN)It's not a new Cold War. It's not even a deep chill. It's an outright conflict.
US-Russia relations have deteriorated sharply amid a barrage of accusations and disagreements, raising the stakes on issues ranging from the countries' competing military operations in Syria, disputes over Eastern European independence and escalating cyber breaches.

The Russian Foreign Ministry upped the rhetorical fire on Thursday, accusing the United States of operating a "scorched earth" policy in its approach to Russia as President Barak Obama's term ends, according to the Associated Press.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova characterized the move as "dangerous," charging that the United States has actively blocked the release of monies from the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank to projects in Russia.
"Nobody should harbor the illusion that you can pressure Russia, neither the current American authorities, nor those who will replace them," Zakharova said.

In addition to US accusations that Russia is hacking American elections systems to influence the upcoming vote, Moscow also has taken overt steps that have troubled the West. It abruptly left a nuclear security pact, citing US aggression, and moved nuclear-capable Iskandar missiles to the edge of NATO territory in Europe. Its ships and planes have buzzed their US counterparts. Its officials have openly raised the possible use of nuclear weapons. And that's just the highlight reel.
"This is a conflict, there should be no doubt," said Matthew Rojansky, director of the Kennan Institute at the Wilson Center, on the US-Russia confrontation.

More here:

https://www.google.com.ph/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=6W2SWPSKAYTM8gfKuYO4Ag#q=Tensions+high+on+the+russian+border

And see:

Yes, the media react hysterically to anything a Democrat says or does while overlooking all the outrageous things conservatives say and do, especially if that Democrat is a woman. (And citing the gateway pundit citing wikileaks should convince no one of anything).

Russia is shelling Ukraine. Now. Without Clinton in office. Russia is looking like it will invade the Baltics. Perhaps you're comfortable with unchallenged Russian aggression. Me? Not so much.

China says that it's looking like war with the USA.

Flynn just threatened Iran. Today. Clinton didn't do that.

Trump just threatened to sent troops into Mexico. Today. On the phone.

The EU and NATO countries no longer trust the USA, and breaking up NATO is one of Putin's dreams.

No, I don't believe that we'd be in a nuclear war with Russia is Clinton was president. Not for a second.

I also don't believe that we'd have a Muslim ban . Or Tillerson at State. Or Sessions, DeVos, Pruitt or any of the other loons Trump has nominated. I don't believe that yet another right-wing activist would be nominated for the Supreme Court, either.

Putin's goal is to break Western liberal democracies. That seems to be a goal shared by Bannon.

And, of course, there's the election interference. I know, that's Fake News, right? Just like the Russian agents are Fake Arrested and Fake Dead.

Russia is the story here. You're just telling the wrong one.