Home | About | Donate

Top 10 Ways that the United States is the Most Corrupt Country in the World

Top 10 Ways that the United States is the Most Corrupt Country in the World

Juan Cole

The United States fell 6 places to a ranking of only 22 in Transparency International’s‘s list of countries by corruption. Under Trump, America is not in the top 20 for fair dealing.

But as I have argued before, the United States is the most corrupt country in the world, and should be ranked 194, not 22. What follows is a much revised version of my popular list.

1 Like

At the core of each of the ten points that Prof. Cole makes is money, which brings to mind the Cree prophecy: “When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money.” It is (not so) funny how often this saying ricochets through my mind.

10 Likes

Cole sez:
“The US military budget is bloated and enormous, bigger than the military budgets of the next twelve major states. What isn’t usually realized is that perhaps half of it is spent on outsourced services, not on the military.”

Thank you for this little home truth, which is rarely mentioned even by supposedly “left-leaning” commentators.

Also for rightly referring to this as the “military” budget, and not the “defense” (sic) budget.

5 Likes

Good article, allow me to add one more:
The US Government is so corrupt one of it’s major political parties is against, and works very hard to ensure not everyone gets to vote. And both parties are complicit with using corruptible voting machines to determine the out come of our elections.

8 Likes

And yet, Rubio and Pompeo have the nerve to criticize Venezuela’s government for its
lack of democracy. I think we need to make a functioning Democracy here first.

6 Likes

I agree with the article, but Mr. Cole left out #11. No country in the world needs regime change more than the U.S.A.

3 Likes