Home | About | Donate

Top CDC Official: Staggering Spike in New York 'Just a Preview' of What's Coming Elsewhere

PonyBoy and I had similar symptoms to yours in late December for me when my lungs got very tight and I was short of breath for about 24 hours. It was the start of January for PB, whose fever reached 102.7 at its peak and he was dragging afterward for about five days. If we could only do a paper RNA test to show we have had it.

My deeper concern, though, is that when we get hit with the second round of this in a few months or next fall, how will the sequencing be changed to rev up our immunologic cytokine response?

3 Likes

Eleven states have been provided Medicaid wavier and Covid 19 funding.

ttps://www.modernhealthcare.com/medicaid/cms-approves-medicaid-waivers-11-states-response-covid-19-crisis

2 Likes

If you’re feeling up to it my friend, “The Babe Rainbow.”

~https://youtu.be/lh2qHxUDt6o

2 Likes

Thanks, I feel fine and count myself lucky to have gotten just enough to know I had it but no more. I haven’t had a flu response since 1992, so I wasn’t too worried about myself. I still have to obey the rules to ensure I don’t serve as an intermediary, though. Darn morals and all…

I like The Babe Rainbow’s stuff–lots of mellow space within it. I dig it, as we used to say.

1 Like

The fear mongering media is reporting that corona cases are ‘spiking’ without telling you the reason is because testing is increasing. Early testing, with a limited number of test kits available, was limited to the most symptomatic and high-risk people. This produced a high mortality rate, (3-4% according to the WHO). Since mortality is deaths divided by the number of cases, as a greater number of people are tested the mortality rate will decrease. South Korea tested a much larger percentage of the population than we have and found the rate to be .8%. They also estimated that the actual number of cases is probably twice the tested amount which would halve the mortality rate to .4%. Comparing cv rates to the seasonal flu are misleading since the CDC uses projections to determine the total number of cases. They know that many people who contract the flu don’t go to the doctor and get tested, they go home and stay in bed for a couple of days. They therefore estimate the total number of cases beyond the reported ones. This reduces the mortality rate for flu while mortality for the Corona virus uses only actual test results. A more concise explanation is in the WSJ:

ttps://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-deadly-as-they-say-11585088464

2 Likes

Stay well WiseOwl. Dig it.

~https://youtu.be/xsmrAzH8f8c

1 Like

The biggest mistake in past few weeks was not locking down NYC. Instead tons of people left the city on multiple fights to go to multiple areas in the USA, to escape. Such as Florida and northeast such as Maine. A percentage of positives will infect many on those flights and also infect many at their destinations. Many left in cars. They were told to self quarantine themselves for two weeks wherever they go.
But this mistake may cause significant surges of infection. Any decent public health system in the midst of this type of pandemic would have quarantined the city. What is necessary at this point is to do covid 19 screening on all who left NYC and quarantine them and their contacts, if needed.

2 Likes

That GL,poses the question about how much the private insurance premiums will go up after the cost of the pandemic is estimated for the following year.

The reality of the fact that much of America lives paycheck to paycheck is showing it’s stark reality… Were getting a paycheck.

2 Likes

Yay. Wait till next year when the bill comes.

so what the fuck do they want us to do? What do panic headlines like this accomplish? I mean most of the nation is already on lock down, the economy is on a downward trajectory of epic proportions - WHAT ELSE DO THEY WANT OF US??? All I hear are doomsday warnings about the end of humanity as we know it but no solution. Just “you gonna die, be aware.”

And then this

“Schuchat declined to name the cities that are likely to become the epicenters of new and worrying outbreaks.”

Then what the hell are you doing here if you are not going to actually concretely warn those cities at risk and put them on notice? What is he now concerned about their privacy and not hurting their feelings? Is this a joke?

2 Likes

Even on this site in the comments I’ve been seeing that. Well I don’t want to die. I don’t want humanity to die. At least not without giving us a fighting chance.

2 Likes

I’d keep practicing keeping a distance for at least another 6 weeks, going out only for necessities.

I probably shouldn’t assume you are retired MCH, but if you’re still working, protect yourself.

If you are retired, this is a great time to catch up on reading. I just wish I had picked up a lot more books from the library before the crap hit the fan.

Listen to Dr. Fauci, not Trump.

1 Like

According to a report this morning on MSM, Louisiana is leading the world with growth rates, not just the US, with New Orleans having 80% of the states cases. A LA. state health official attributed it to this years Mardi Gras celebration that happened just before confirmed cases started being reported on in the US.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you got the virus. I’m suspicious that it’s running it’s course through me now. I started out the week with a fever and extreme chills. I told my doctor about the fever and she blew me off because she believed coronavirus doesn’t cause chills. I trust my gut, not doctors, so I’ve self quarantined the entire time. I had diarrhea and nausea, too, which initially confused me and made me wonder if it was the virus. However, I learned that intestinal problems ARE associated with the virus. In fact CBS says in 50% of Covid-19 cases involve intestinal problems. Worse, intestinal problems have been an early indicator for lethal cases.

Almost half of coronavirus patients have digestive symptoms, study finds

By Robert Preidt

March 19, 2020 / 4:40 PM / HealthDay

Diarrhea and other digestive symptoms are the main complaint in nearly half of [coronavirus] patients, Chinese researchers report. Most patients with the coronavirus have [respiratory symptoms] but these findings from the early stages of the outbreak show that digestive problems are prevalent in many patients with COVID-19.

“Clinicians must bear in mind that digestive symptoms, such as diarrhea, may be a presenting feature of COVID-19, and that the index of suspicion may need to be raised earlier in these cases rather than waiting for respiratory symptoms to emerge,” wrote the investigators from the Wuhan Medical Treatment Expert Group for COVID-19.

The researchers analyzed data from 204 COVID-19 patients, average age nearly 55, who were admitted to three hospitals in the Hubei province between Jan. 18 and Feb. 28, 2020. The average time from symptom onset to hospital admission was 8.1 days.

Apparently, the total fustercluck that we call the United States’ response to the coronavirus, has failed to make this fact widely known. I know the healthcare system is a total mess. However, I’ve been sick with this damned thing for a week and I only learned it causes intestinal problems 2 days ago. I had to look this up myself and that tells you something about what is wrong with the coronavirus response. It is one among many of the failures of our savage for-profit healthcare system.
And doctors? They can be stupid,too sometimes-
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TATSAHJKRd8
I encourage trusting your gut about what is going on with your body. Whatever this is, it’s one weird virus and it shows no mercy.

2 Likes

Oh I have plenty of hobbies to be sure. I guess the best I can do is just weather this out. I feel for those who current have no source of income during this time though.

2 Likes

Nicole, sorry to hear you are not well. Stay vigilant. I know from experience that not every doctor is a keeper. Good online resources are ~CDC.gov, ~NIH.gov, the Mayo Clinic, and Johns Hopkins University. I am glad you are on top of the information side of this as information is power. If your breathing gets very difficult you should get back in touch with medical professionals for guidance as that is where COVID19 seems to do its damage to humans. Take care and stay strong.

1 Like

David: New York to 45: Drop dead.

Just going to buy groceries, here I was in my N-95 mask on, my medical grade gloves, and I could count on 1 hand minus 3 fingers the people around doing the same. A lot of elderly ( gray haired) coughing and sneezing and they were totally unphased. Typical ignorant if not stupid (can’t be nice about people who make others sick and don’t care) Americans.

1 Like

You may want to change grocery stores.

Be safe.

Thanks Nicole for your comment. As my wife (Health4All) said earlier in this thread, we both believe we possibly contracted this late in December to early January.

The best recommendation I can make is, stay isolated from others as long as you are able. Protect yourself when you go out from contact with others.

This may be our life for many weeks or even months.

You have family here. Stay connected.

Be well.