Home | About | Donate

Top European Court Deals Blow to Iraq War Resister Seeking Asylum

Top European Court Deals Blow to Iraq War Resister Seeking Asylum

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

U.S. war resister and former soldier André Shepherd, hailed internationally as a hero for refusing to take part in the occupation of Iraq, was just dealt a blow from Europe's highest court in his bid to win asylum in Germany.

The Luxembourg-based European Court of Justice said Thursday that 37-year-old Shepherd, in order to win refugee status, must prove that he would have been forced to commit war crimes in Iraq if he had not refused to serve in the U.S. military.

Apparently, the august court is unaware of the Nuremberg trials and the statement by Justice Jackson, the Chief US Nuremberg Tribunal Prosecutor: " Launching a war of aggression is a crime and no political or economic situation can justify it ." But that was then and this is now. I guess.

Exactly. Because the invasion itself violated international law and was a crime against humanity, all who were drawn into it are implicated. Nice little trick W pulled off. For the umpteenth time here is a re-post of a message I sent to as many congress critters as time would allow:

To: senator@kennedy.senate.gov
Subject: The impending war against Iraq
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 12:43 PM

Dear Sir:

Although I am a resident of Ohio, I am contacting you because you have proven to be a man of honor and reason and a powerful force in the U.S. Senate. I am strongly opposed to the impending war in the Middle East, and have already expressed these views to the senators from Ohio, but I believe that if anybody can mobilize opposition to this impending disaster, it may be you. I listened to your comments prior to the non-debate concerning the Resolution to authorize the use of force, and I agree that the real consequences of this conflict were not addressed at all.

This conflict is worse than folly. I believe that at the very least: the situation in the Middle East will be much worse and not better; world opinion will solidify against Americans and American policies; terrorist organizations and activities will be strengthened, not weakened; we will be bankrupted into the unforeseeable future. At the worst, this act of aggression will plunge humanity into global conflict the likes of which previous human experience will not have prepared us. Lest these concerns seem selfish and self-centered, I do not wish to see American sons and daughters slaughter innocent civilians from the safety of our high-tech weaponry, and all for the true purpose of expanding the corporate oligarchy.

Now is not the time to remain silent for the purpose of political expediency. While representative democracy still exists between these shores it is time to reign in a chief executive and his cabal who are apparently in the throes of a consuming blood-lust. I have considered myself and have voted Democrat all of my life (I'm 50 years old), and I must say that I am disgusted that most of the elected Democrats in Washington have been struck mute on this issue. No reasonable person who is fully contemplating the consequences of what is about to happen could come to the conclusion that any good is going to come from this. I believe, despite the gaudy and superficial manifestations of popular American culture, that this country is populated by reasonable people, and our elected representatives should consider the consequences of remaining mute and cowardly as George II leads us into a national disgrace and disaster.

History, if indeed there be anyone left to record it, will justly lay the blame for this catastrophe at our feet. Please sir, I implore you, do everything in your power to stop this from happening.

A sincere Veteran, American, and a Human Being,

Vince Lawrence
email: ---------@---.---

I take no satisfaction that my predictions were accurate. The warning to the elected about pursuing this course was also accurate as expressed in the mid-term election of 2006. But we were deceived; the mandate was ignored, and again in 2008 the empty suit animated by the real life realization of Saruman repeated the crime and disaster in Libya.

The other day I went searching for the source of "take out seven countries in five years" and only got so far as an interview by Amy Goodman of Gen. Wesley Clark (a poser, in my estimation) in 2007. Several days ago the local node of my disinformation distribution device aired a poll asking viewers if we are on the brink of WWIII (3 to 1 yes.) Sadly, I don't think those "reasonable people" I mentioned can properly identify the real antagonist.