Home | About | Donate

Top Global Experts Say Humanity Must 'Heal Our Broken Relationship With Nature' to Prevent Future Pandemics

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/17/top-global-experts-say-humanity-must-heal-our-broken-relationship-nature-prevent

3 Likes

Until people understand everything is connected we will continue on the same path with the same results:

~https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/17/pandemics-destruction-nature-un-who-legislation-trade-green-recovery

10 Likes

So much of human activity fails to recognize the extent that ecosystems are interconnected and that we are apart of these systems. Our abuse has become intolerable for us as well as the systems we all depend on for well being. Each generation has adapted to a very perverted system of lifeways and unfortunately have lost a lot of the information needed to change it. Something like this pandemic offers a few clues though.

7 Likes

“The first principle of ecology is that everything is connected to everything else.”
–Dr. Barry Commoner, scientist and 1980 Citizens Party presidential candidate (too bad some shmuck won)

5 Likes

The headline and article should be taken a step further:
Top Global Experts Say Humanity must ‘Heal Our Broken Relationship With Nature’ to Prevent Worldwide Extinction

8 Likes

AND the melting of permafrost, because of global warming, may unleash new viruses and, thus, pandemics, to say nothing about global warming causing our EXTINCTION soon!

5 Likes

I think you mean “a part,” not “apart” We only THINK and ACT as if we are apart.

1 Like

I think you are correct. Thanks.

1 Like

Why don’t we do it for the sake of our other-than-human relatives?? All these beautiful cretures, the flora and fauna have the right to exist too.

10 Likes

But with humans desecrating their habitat they are on the same extinction path as us:

~https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/17/climate-crisis-alarm-at-record-breaking-heatwave-in-siberia

Here in Alaska, that is a huge problem!

2 Likes

Why is this ALWAYS about humans? Driven by unsustainable food systems, the large-scale conversion of land for agriculture is increasing interactions between wildlife, livestock, and humans. Remove “humans,” and you have no more problems of “unsustainable food systems,” no more “large-scale conversion of land,” and no more “increasing interactions between wildlife, livestock.” Any surviving “livestock” animals will go feral and adapt with any surviving wildlife–after all, their ancestors were once wild and free.

Peace, and good luck to them!

3 Likes

I think that the Greeks warned us all a long time ago with the story of King Midas. In America, and other war loving destroyer of Nature nations-------- turning into Gold everything they touch must also be the motto of the Stock Market and corporations.
Ironically for King Midas, not only his own was turned to gold at a touch-----but also anything he touched like food— and wine. No one has figured out how to create H2 O yet either. Of course Kurt Vonnegut warned us about that with " Ice 9." : (

Humanity must connect more strongly with our Sacred Mother Earth, and all Her many creatures! She will work with us; and truly wants our Love!

2 Likes

Also, let us not forget the stupidity and greed that could result in the releasing into the modern environment of viruses and bacteria that have been locked in the frozen desert of the Antarctic. I do not believe for an instant that our governments and scientific experts could protect us from something that we, as a species, have zero immunity to.

Come to think of it, the spread of diseases from hundreds of millenia ago could very well wipe out many species. Yet those in power, governmental and scientific, may not have the wisdom and/or the realization of interconnectedness to either stop digging, as it were, or put a hold on it until we have foolproof ways to contain them and protect our world.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, anything we manage to do will be too little, too late. There’s simply too many greedy, selfish, stupid, short-sighted people in power or supporting such power to many any real difference.

Just listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, or any of the other right wing bloviators/talking heads. They absolutely deny that humans are responsible for any of the climate or ecological issues, and refer to those of us who do accept our responsibility for the planet’s degradation as “idiots”, “morons”, “retards”, “buffoons”, “Chicken Littles”, etc. These people have millions of fawning, adoring, believing listeners and viewers who blindly believe every word they say without question like it’s Holy Gospel.

If mankind and the planet is to avert catastrophe, it can only happen if there is absolute unity of purpose. Sadly, we are nowhere near that. Half the population can’t be bothered to vote in a presidential election, and of those who do actually bother to get off their asses and vote, no less than nearly half voted the biggest, greediest, most incompetent and corrupt pack of thugs, thieves, con artists, crooks, shysters, sycophants, and whores into the halls of power. Reversing that kind of firmly entrenched, bone-deep stupidity would be excruciatingly difficult in the best, most ideal of circumstances. With the likes of Limbaugh and his ilk reinforcing it on a daily basis, we can forget it, it ain’t gonna happen.

Oh well, the human race had a great run. The good news is, we will leave a detailed record of how our demise came to be, so that whoever comes after us, whether they be evolutionary or extraterrestrial, may be able to avoid the same fate.

2 Likes

I agree with all you said. If you don’t know it already i can recommend the book “the world without us” by Alan Weisman. A fascinating prediction of what earth would be like if humans were to vanish for good.

1 Like

Welcome Andrew_ Chase.
I’ll watch for your posts since I cannot, will not watch, listen, or read anything by the right-wing nuts you listed. Been there done that and any further contact is unneeded. They never change their stripes, and only make me more upset at America than I already am.