Home | About | Donate

Tornadoes Cut Across Unusually Wide Swaths of US, Raising Alarm for Climate Scientists

Tornadoes Cut Across Unusually Wide Swaths of US, Raising Alarm for Climate Scientists

Julia Conley, staff writer

As the death toll in Oklahoma rose to six Monday amid an outbreak of nearly 200 tornadoes across the Midwest in recent days—as well as in areas far less accustomed to them—climate scientists said such patterns may carry warnings about the climate crisis and its many implications for extreme weather events.

2 Likes

Tornadoes are getting bigger and more frequent. I am wondering how much wars contribute to this climate disaster. What did burning plastics in Iraq and dropping depleted uranium, and all those planes, boats and bombs do to a nation and the planet? Has anyone group done studied on how war affects the climate and the air?

8 Likes

For a simple way to discuss this with your peers just remember that temperature is an indicator of heat which is a form of energy. The higher the temperature of the planet the greater the energy available for driving storms of all forms.

11 Likes

This hasn’t even really started yet. All forecasts up till now have been been gross underestimates, which are later revised only to again be revealed as gross underestimates. Every new scientific climate discovery reveals a gargantuan amount of energy doing damage somewhere unexpected and until now unaccounted for. When the cooling effect of the massive Ice cubes on each pole of the planet are no longer available, and the seas are flooding the highly populated coastal cities, creating billions of refugees, the warming will increase dramatically 5˚C degrees a year, due to the latent heat of fusion of ice being permanently behind us. Gargantuan releases of methane escaping from melted permafrost will accelerate the process. Storms will rage incessantly at this time in-between heat waves of 175˚F for weeks at a time. Crops will be non-existent, either burned by the sun or wiped out in floods. Floods will either break through dams, or dry up reservoirs. Wars will break out in desperate attempts to preserve or secure vanishing resources needed for survival. Animals will die by the billions and not be available as food sources any longer. Cannibalism will become a reality. This is not a world anyone who loved their children and their grandchildren would leave for them. Meanwhile the green party, securing about 10%, of the European vote is seen as a major victory by the progressive minority - I see it as the children, abandoned completely by their families, desperately trying to fend for themselves against the greed and malicious indifference of their hateful and evil elders.

11 Likes

Human activity has produced so much excess heat, in fact, that it’s split the arctic jet stream into two distinct streams. The southernmost stream colliding with super-heated, humid Gulf air is responsible for the increase in tornadic activity the midwest is currently experiencing.

8 Likes

“- making tornadoes more frequent in states that rarely saw them previously including Arkansas, Mississippi, and eastern Missouri.”
I’m not disputing the possibility that tornadoes are getting worse, or that the tornado season is getting worse. But I have to wonder about the data in this story, when the above statement is made. All three states listed are in the top ten states for tornado activity, yet this is called a rarity by the author.
Sorry but I expect CD to do a better job than MSM.

1 Like

A bit like this you mean:

3 Likes

I’m in Missouri and it has been night after night after night, sometimes during the day of long duration thunderstorm activity with heavy rain. All of the streams and rivers in my neck of the woods are over their banks and the area lakes SW MO, NE OK, and NW AR are experiencing record releases over damns causing flooding downstream and flooding all around the lakes areas.

Lots of tornado outbreaks, I saw the one from a distance that touched down in Carl Junction.

The jet stream “polar vortex” is all screwed up and this is just the beginning. It is going to get very very bad in a myriad of ways in the coming several years.

Just wait until the Arctic has its first summer with no ice.

And yet there are idiots out there that will joke about the horrendous winters in the NE and in Europe and say Al Gore and think they have won an argument.

In northern Alaska a few days ago, I spotted almost 70 degrees. Meanwhile in Arizona, there was a temperature recorded at 29. Greenland had a temperature recorded that day of 80.

This is a global climate system that has sustained human evolution and civilization and it is being upended.

No big deal to some, like Flat Earthers and worse.

7 Likes

Willful stupidity is in fashion. And that demographic is gaining power. Trump has said something to the effect that his base “is like nothing ever before” and he intends to leverage that sheer stupidity and hate for power.

But that’s been obvious for a very long time. No, I didn’t just argue (for those that might misconstrue) that its all about Trump. Neoliberal economics and politics have fueled the stupidity fire that is consuming us all, and has positioned right wing reactionaries to completely take over this country.

Trump is their end game. They have a working idiot just maniacally smart enough to fulfill every one of their wishes.

Oligarchy was bad enough. It’s going to get a lot worse than that.

7 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Just on the face of it… The US military is the largest single user of fossil fuels in the world. Let alone blowing people and cities up with bombs and the polluting environments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_usage_of_the_United_States_military

2 Likes

PC, I’m near Stockton in MO and have had weeks of this stuff as you mentioned. Were managing to keep the gardens in one piece, barely… but the road is the worst we’ve seen it in 21 years. And it’s gravel and not much in the first place.

None of this bodes well down the road. And yes, Trump is just the poster child for years of dastardly foolishness.

1 Like

Do you think they did it consciously? Or were they as willfully stupid?

Just wait until the arctic has its first summer with no ice.
The russians are taking care of that:

Love Stockton Lake…the views crossing that bridge are epic. I’ve been keeping track over the years of the issue of Global Warming, ACD or however it is labeled. What has really changed the last few years, and in particular right now is a very real foreboding sense that things aren’t right and it is going to be one helluva ride from here on out.

Habitat is important for any animal, including us humans. These changes in the global climate system do not bode well for the growing and harvesting of grains. Humanity and civilization’s humongous Echelie’s heel. Can’t grow and store enough grain globally? Well, we’re fucked, including the insufferable 1%.

3 Likes

oklahoma voters consistently vote anti environment. oklahoma is the major fracking state in America…responsible for much environmental damage globally.

Ignorance is a Killer and it sucks to be Stupid.

3 Likes

Fueled it, profited from it, see no reason to change it, and will violently oppose any attempts to do so…

Right-wing conservatives are the natural-born champions of willful ignorance. All they need is that old time religion and learned disrespect for intellectual/scientific expertise to gin up a truly stupid response to anything they don’t cotton to. That part’s easy. To get the rest of the population–those who aren’t naturally stupid–requires the incessant application of advanced psychological theory and practice, purveyed through the media and advertising. The mainstream media attempt to compel our behavior in service to their corporate masters, while social media serves only the insanity of viral meme propagation, regardless of truthful, logical, reasonable, or scientific content. Memes travel on emotion (“sexiness”), not truth. How many Americans out there have had an education that has truly trained and empowered them to think critically? How many more Amurikans would rather get their “truth” from Preacher Bubba and his self-proclaimed conduit to his white, male, anthropomorphic god (a.k.a. bullshit)?

Willful stupidity; willful ignorance–they’ve been in fashion since the dawn of religion. That’s why it’s so easy to produce legions of storm troopers. Every FOX viewer is a Manchurian Candidate now…

3 Likes

Oklahoma citizens have had no more power to stop Big Energy than any other US voters. When did Oklahoma citizens vote in fracking?

Tornado hits D. C. : As the resident Wicked Warlock of the White House is away then let the tornados hit another day.