Home | About | Donate

Tortured by CIA and Detained at Gitmo Without Trial, Ahmed Rabbani Gives Haunting Review of 'The Report'—a New Film He'll Likely Never See

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/19/tortured-cia-and-detained-gitmo-without-trial-ahmed-rabbani-gives-haunting-review

1 Like

So here is a man whose only offence is to have been treated so badly that the US government is reluctant that the world see his wounds and hear his story. A man who has been tortured, who the world knows has been tortured but who the US government claims that it has a right to torture. And to detain, And to kidnap. And to move surreptitiously from one country to another.
And he remains detained, under appalling conditions, in a complex illegally taken from Cuba, which cannot be closed down because the US Congress and the Executive and the Judiciary arrogate themselves the right to preserve themselves from criticism by stealing a prison and filling it with prisoners-none of them charged or convicted in anything resembling a law court- to be held at their majesties’ pleasure.
And what does the American people do about it? Or say about it? And what do the governments of other countries say or do about it?
Future generations will have difficulty in believing, what is true, that the detainees at Guantanamo are according to our laws all innocent. And likely to die in custody. As have many others.

4 Likes

It sickens me to no end that we are still holding people like Rabbani. Not only is it incredibly unethical, it is unbelievably counterproductive. I wish Bernie would speak out on this issue - I don’t recall hearing anything.

2 Likes

Here we are in 2019 talking openly about the CIA torturing people –
in this case, reminding us of the horrors of Abu Ghraib and our government
allowing the CIA to send those in their custody to other places to be tortured.
This is a filthy business, long ignored by our elected officials –

but I would remind all of us that TORTURE is a necessary ingredient in a dictatorship.

You cannot run one without it –

1 Like

Future generations who understand militarism and imperialism will have less difficulty.

1 Like

From the trailer, it looks like Feinstein is on the side of the angels. Sorry, I doubt that.

EM –

Also hope that further generations will not suffer propaganda without question
even from our own leaders –

that they understand what Oligarchy is – and recognize it when they see it here.

That they will bring their own understanding and questioning and challenge to our
own Constitution as to what – DESPITE THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
Our Founders actually created here – i.e., not a democracy but an Elite/Patriarchy.

In a bait and switch way to allege that the Constitution provided what the Declaration
of Independence outlined in a people’s government, Our Founders worked their own will
to provide wealth and opportunity for Elites.

Our Founders endowed those Elites with Land Grants – gave them immense influence
and control over our alleged “people’s” government, the nation’s wealth and natural resources.

Our Founders further saved and supported the system of Slavery for their own benefit and the
benefit of their fellow Elites. This GUARANTEED the Civil War which further benefitted Elites
by splitting the nation into two camps of hatred which still echo today to keep us divided.

Our Founders provided no resistance to the GENOCIDE here, run under Papal Edicts which
labelled them as “Pagans, only fit to be fed to the dogs” and demanded that they be “Enslaved
or Killed.” The GENOCIDE against the native people here 13,000 years was eventually also played out against native people all over the world … to steal their land, natural resources, and wealth, as
had been done here.

Instead, Our Founders went on to create “Church Schools” run by the Roman Catholic Church and the Mormon Church which young native people were forced into and where they were unable to receive visits by their parents. In these schools, these children were orced to change their appearance, mutilated, beaten – not permitted to even speak in their own languages – hung, murdered. And they were sexually abused in every way.

Our government has in fact, long after the GENOICDE and forcing native people onto
reservations, continued to war on native people and continued to try to steal their lands and
natural resources. This continues on today.
Our government is one of broken treaties and lies –

I didn’t have the gumption to challenge these teachings when I heard them –
Let’s hope that those who came after us will have that gumption.

1 Like

Mohammed Ahmed Ghulam Rabbani is a trained and dedicated al Qaeda operative who was involved with the very highest level terrorists, including UBL. Read his 11 page Guantanamo Docket here: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/guantanamo/detainees/1461-mohammed-ahmad-ghulam-rabbani Islamist apologists will gladly support a terrorist who plotted and contributed to the deaths of many innocent people, including Americans, all in the name of a higher moral order because of alleged “torture.” Yet NONE of them will ever publish the internationally accepted definition of torture from the time the torture allegedly took place. They don’t do this because the treatment of the detainees did not rise to the level of torture - by definition. Sincerely, Montgomery J. Granger, Major, US Army, Retired; former ranking US Army Medical Department officer with the Joint Detainee Operations Group, JTF 160, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; and author: Saving Grace at Guantanamo Bay: A Memoir of a Citizen Warrior.

You’re good at scapegoating the abuses of ethnic minorities.

“Islamist apologists” Seriously? Those who stand up for human rights and due process are not terrorist sympathizers.

You’re clearly proud of being employed in a military that has been responsible for the deaths of ten of thousands of innocent people. The U.S. has killed more people than the actual death toll by terrorist acts. You’re Yankee “exceptionalist” worldview is sickening.

And no, I don’t thank you for your service.

I never asked you to thank me for anything. I didn’t choose to serve my country because I though people would thank me, I did it because I have free will and wanted to contribute as a medical service to my countrymen. Little did I know when I signed up in 1986 that 19 savage terrorists would fly planes with innocent people in them into buildings with innocent people in them and into the ground. I happened to be in Enemy Prisoner of War units at the time. Lucky me. Taking care of bad guys was NEVER in my mind other than for training until Sept. 11, 2001. The United States follows the law. Rabbani and 99 percent of his colleagues are proven murdering savages. If that’s the kind of person you want to support and defend then you are no better than they are and in my book, deserve the same fate. As President George W. Bush famously said in September 2001, “You are either with us, or with the terrorists.”