Home | About | Donate

"Touted as 'Essential'... Treated as Disposable": Labor Day Anger as Migrant Farm Workers Toil Inside Wildfire Evacuation Zones

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/07/touted-essential-treated-disposable-labor-day-anger-migrant-farm-workers-toil-inside

7 Likes

Capitalism is an economic virus. The only vaccine is compassion and love for others as well as yourself.

Si se puede

22 Likes

You beat me to it.

It doesn’t matter how high the pile of bodies gets, Capitalism must and will be saved.

5 Likes

But the way the workers are treated—how is this different than sIavery? They have no choice , they have no options, they have no heath care from covid-----when humans have no options and no choice and no respect—that certainly does sound Iike sIavery from the federaI government. : (

13 Likes

.these same farmworkers are now also further risking their lives in the midst of raging wildfires.

That statement is not hyperbole. As someone that in the past has fought fires, I can tell you it is the hardest thing I have ever done. It is hotter than hell and smoke gets in your eyes so it is hard to see and easy to get trapped.

11 Likes

Thank you for your service.

3 Likes

Speaking of essential, journalist Kevin Zeese, suddenly dead at 64, has been called irreplaceable.

Margaret Flowers on her partner in Popular Resistance, and – apparently – in life:
~https://consortiumnews.com/2020/09/07/kevin-zeese-a-fighter-for-truth-dies-at-64/

5 Likes

Disambiguation: Essential
Disposable
Cannon Fodder
Expendable
Rich-Person Shield

2 Likes

Excuse me. I’m going all Biblical.

“A quart of wheat for a day’s wages, and three quarts of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!” … “I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.”

–Revelation 6:6-8, NIV

2 Likes

So where does christianity come into this picture.
We are a nation of bla bla bla $$%$$%$$%$$$4$333#$%%^^^

3 Likes

If trump were asked about this I think we can assume he would say:
“I don’t know about this. This is the first I’ve heard about it.”

1 Like

I am shocked that we do not yet have grape harvesting machinery.
We have tomato harvesters near Napoleon, Ohio. Replaced thousands of annual migrant workers there.
We have cherry tree harvesters in SW Michigan that gently shake the tree in the orchard
and the ripe fruit falls to a soft landing on fabric.
In Florida, there is a machine with blades that separate citrus into the slices for canning.

3% of Americans are farmers.
They are all old white people.
Amish just about priced out of land in Ohio.

1 Like

That is shocking news. Unexpected. I watched his recent On Contact interview just this morning. It was the first time that I have seen video of him. I was impressed. I am now saddened. We truly will miss Kevin Zeese.

3 Likes

civilization is ecological cancer. the only cure is collapse, as your name suggests.

1 Like

…and solidarity with our fellows to take back control of our lives.

2 Likes

Boycott California wine.

1 Like

Don’t worry, we’ve an experienced slaver eager to serve:

~https://prospect.org/justice/how-kamala-harris-fought-to-keep-nonviolent-prisoners-locked-up/

1 Like

Just so you know some of those vineyards are very good to their workers. They get the same crew year after year. Some actually cook and serve homecooked meals and they all eat together and work together. They would never use machines to harvest their grapes. This is unusual times and more needs to be done, anyone with bad practices needs to be brought into the light.

4 Likes

Our radios, here in the Bay Area, were recently interrupted for this late-breaking new emergency evacuation order for Sonoma County:

Mandatory Evacuation Orders
9/7/2020 10:00 PM – Evacuation Order for entire area of Zone 2E4:

• South of Mill Creek Road
  • North of Sweetwater Springs Road
  • West of Westside Road
  • East of Palmer Creek Road

This has to do with that frisky Walbridge Fire – windy Tuesday got going a few hours early out here.

5 Likes

The US does still allow for legal slavery of course and Hispanics, particularly those who are undocumented, also constitute essentially a slave class now.

4 Likes