Home | About | Donate

'Towards the Common Good': Mr. Sanders Goes to the Vatican

'Towards the Common Good': Mr. Sanders Goes to the Vatican

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

At the Vatican on Friday, Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders railed against everything from environmental destruction and the weakening of the rights of workers to widespread financial criminality on Wall Street and unregulated globalization.

People who don't reside in, or have never visited New York City (home of Wall Street) may not know that for a time, there were large COW sculptures all over the city. When I saw them, it struck me as a modern Biblical symbol signifying the return of worship of the golden calf:

"As Pope Francis has stated: “Man is not in charge today, money is in charge, money rules.” And the Pope has also stated: “We have created new idols. The worship of the golden calf of old has found a new and heartless image in the cult of money and the dictatorship of an economy which is faceless and lacking any truly humane goal.”

The combination of Bernie Sanders offering such wise words in Rome (and meeting with this enlightened Pope) and on the subject of Palestine proves that he's the leader needed for these divisive times. If ever a politician with solid bona fides could facilitate unity among warring tribes, Sanders appears to qualify.

Let's hope the New York voters get with the program and FEEL the "Bern."

Thank you, Commondreams for publishing Mr. Sanders' speech in its entirety.

This is being repeated for the forum's dingoes who insist, whatever the subject OR evidence, that today's problems stem from U.S voters:

"The widening gaps between the rich and poor, the desperation of the marginalized, the power of corporations over politics, is not a phenomenon of the United States alone. The excesses of the unregulated global economy have caused even more damage in the developing countries. They suffer not only from the boom-bust cycles on Wall Street, but from a world economy that puts profits over pollution, oil companies over climate safety, and arms trade over peace. And as an increasing share of new wealth and income goes to a small fraction of those at the top, fixing this gross inequality has become a central challenge. The issue of wealth and income inequality is the great economic issue of our time, the great political issue of our time, and the great moral issue of our time. It is an issue that we must confront in my nation and across the world."

I haven't been there in awhile, but this might be the sculpture you're talking about:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wall+street+bull+statue&biw=974&bih=1039&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjg9tLkw5HMAhUJKGMKHVaQBloQsAQIUg

pretty clear idol.

Time well spent, words well said, principles reaffirmed and solidarity on a scale befitting a president.

Thank you Jane and Bernie Sanders for accepting the invitation, thanks to all the folks here who have been contributing and making this journey possible. The door of the dark closet forced shut for so long has been opened well beyond a crack and light is flooding in. The journey is just getting under way.

Bravo, well said Old Goat - let the light shine in!

Although this article mentions Sanders being popular in Italy, it should also mention that Clinton's popularity there extends to being endorsed by Silvio Burlesconi.

They were ALL over... at the entrance to Central Park, downtown, along Fifth Avenue, etc.

Yeah, the photos do the "item" justice.

Silvio practically invented the 1%.

Two old white guys that never worked a day in their lives sharing their views on economic matters. You can't make this up.....

Are you referring to Sanders and Francis? If so, what an utterly stupid and false statement you have made.

Now, now -- year of mercy, invincible ignorance -- Yeah, you're right.

Ghandi would have declined the invitation. But then he didn't own a suit. He might have owned a hat though.

Well, I apologize. Apparently Pope Benedict did hold a few jobs for a couple of years in his early 20s. That aside, I think anybody who didn't put in at least 5 years of some kind of real work (political activism doesn't count) should be disqualified from running for any political office.

Well, I've copied the speech, both in print and pdf and am sending it out to many who probably will never see it otherwise, as I am sure the Reich's Propaganda Ministry will not print it or publish it.
* I hope Bernie makes it to the White House and, once in, is not muzzled by the Powers that Be. I hope the CIA doesn't stick their (trigger) finger into the pie at the behest of their 0.001% masters.
* If Bernie is blocked, then perhaps it will be time for We the People to pick up our scythes, pitchforks, pruning hooks and torches, storm that wealthy castle and finally cage or eliminate Bankenstein, hopefully forever.
;-})

That is the Wall Street Bull, here's the story of that bull. They put a fence around it during Occupy days.

https://wallstreetwalks.com/bull-story/

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the EARTH!!! Isn't that how it's supposed to go; by GOD???

I remember a few years ago when there was an ad that showed the statue and said "Merrill Lynch is bullish on America."
* Somebody attached at the bottom of the ad, "Don't step in the bullish.."
* I thought that was well done!
;-})

Bernie is a "SPRING" movement all on his own; inspiring people here and around the globe to feel the 'BERN.'
Hopefully, the jig will be up' for Wall St, too BIG to FAIL banks; the entire 'upper crust' held together by crumbs.

You are absolutely right on, there!
* Where all there is left any more are bottom feeders, perhaps it is time for We the People to fill the septic tank, and build anew on the reclaimed land.
* Perhaps Bernie can be the leader in that important effort!
;-})