Home | About | Donate

TPP 'Worse Than I Thought'

TPP 'Worse Than I Thought'

Bernie Sanders

Now that the text of the Trans-Pacific Partnership has finally been released, it is even worse than I thought. It is clear to me that the proposed agreement is not, nor has it ever been, the gold standard of trade agreements.

Thank you, Bernie. This trade deal is a travesty! Please also work on breaking up media consolidation since it's largely through the corporate control of this nation's airwaves that lies told often are mistaken for factual truths, and the state of our nation--corrupted on so many levels--is in large measure the result of this tainting of message.

Could someone explain to me how this whole secrecy thing with the TPP worked? Am I to understand that our Congress was kept out of the negotiations having delegated their role to appointed negotiators? By what authority is our right to representation deferred in such a way that even our representatives are not privy to what is a treaty in all but name?

It is worse than what you thought Bernie... a lot worse than what we thought... having been kept secret from our own government as well as its citizens!

Corporations are not only dismantling the ability of governments to regulate them... they are actually dismantling the governments themselves. Piece by piece. They'd tell us all about how they are doing that but it is a corporate classified secret. All governments involved will need to secure the proper corporate security clearance first.

This TPP and really all the Alphabet Trade Deals, past and future, only serve a very small segment of our country. And, The Multinationals only continuously exacerbate the inequality. The pols are truly scum for the most part, too. A horrid loop closing around our collective necks like a noose, btw. But, looking at the cast vote totals for these elections this week, it's really disheartening. And, dismal and dangerous, too Or. maybe they're a harbinger, as well. I'd rather it be the former because omens are usually not good for the 99s. And, the TPP is really just a harbinger; the worst is yet to come or be announced, I sense. Come on, Bernie, have a great debate and performance tomorrow night. Get tough, Get the Omens, We'll get the Omens, Let's all get the damn Omens.

I think it has to do with the so called "fast-track authority", where Congress accepts to stay in the sidelines of the negotiations of the details of the treaty, and only get involved at the end, either approving or rejecting the whole packet.

Yes you are right about fast track but I didn't realize that they were kept in the dark. I thought they simply didn't participate (delegating authority) but were aware of developments. Who are they kidding with this crap? Oh sorry it's fast tracked so we have no say? What a con that is.

Translated that means we know you won't like it so we will abrogate our responsibility and let it happen. I feel like it is as if a security guard claims that he is on the job because he is physically in the building so it doesn't matter that he takes a long nap.

I guess Congress was in the building ... just not doing their jobs.

But it's only the logical endgame - the privatisation (I prefer Pirate-isation) of politics. Be grateful! At least they aren't denying the useless masses the right to vote (for a corporate lackey, forelock tugging the overlords) for (corporate approved) representatives.

I hear ya but as they say (or should) ... appearances aren't deceiving anybody. The right to vote that doesn't really vote for anything is hardly better than not having a vote at all... just more honest!

If trade agreements can't be negotiated in the open, there shouldn't be trade agreements.

Especially ones that subvert our laws and diminish our sovereignty even within our own borders. To make an agreement that excuses you from having to obey laws is convenient for those who intend to not obey them.

Is it any wonder, this process, fast track etc. was concocted during the Nixon Administration.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Especially ones that enslave and subvert the sovereignty of other nations.

Go Bernie. Go!

How can Americans stop it? Will we be able to elect Senator Sanders? If passed is there a way to stop it? Things don't really look too well. The culmination of what began with our failed actor who said government is the problem. Look where it has gotten us.

To add insult to injury Congress granted Obama fast track authority, requiring Congress to vote yes or no on TPP without any debate or discussion n the floor of the Senate or House of Representatives.

Senator Sanders,

Your legislative output is becoming a wonderful crescendo. Plus your expanding partnerships are solid anchors. Keep pushing.

The people are evolving a contingency plan B. The nonvoters are not stupid and numb. They talk like everyone has read http://www.zerowastenews.org/Archive/Gilens-and-Page-3-9-14.pdf

Nonvoters are necessary for an electoral revolution that creates a more perfect union and stand-up support for President Sanders once sworn in.

This is what democracy looks like!

Just in-News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!! PRICELESS words from our "Commander in Chief":

Here's the deal:
President Barack Obama

The White House, Washington

When we have a level playing field, Americans out-compete anyone in the world. That’s a fundamental truth about our country.

But right now, the rules of global trade put our workers, our businesses, and our values at a disadvantage.

If you’re an autoworker in Michigan, the cars you build face taxes as high as 70 percent in Vietnam. If you’re a worker in Oregon, you’re forced to compete against workers in other countries that set lower standards and pay lower wages just to cut their costs. If you’re a small business owner in Ohio, you might face customs rules that are confusing, costly, and an unnecessary barrier to selling abroad.

The Trans-Pacific Partnership will change that -- and you can read the complete text of it right here.

The TPP is the highest standard trade agreement in history. It eliminates 18,000 taxes that various countries put on American goods. That will boost Made-in-America exports abroad while supporting higher-paying jobs right here at home. And that’s going to help our economy grow.

I know that past trade agreements haven’t always lived up to the hype. So I want to tell you a little bit about what makes this trade agreement so different, and so important.

The TPP includes the strongest labor standards in history, from requiring a minimum wage and worker safety regulations to prohibiting child labor and forced labor. It also includes the strongest environmental commitments in history, requiring countries in one of the most biologically diverse areas on Earth to crack down on illegal wildlife trafficking, illegal logging, and illegal fishing. These standards are at the core of the agreement and are fully enforceable -- which means we can bring trade sanctions against countries that don’t step up their game.

And for the first time ever, we’ll have a multilateral trade agreement that reflects the reality of the digital economy by promoting a free and open Internet and by preventing unfair laws that restrict the free flow of data and information.

In other words, the TPP means that America will write the rules of the road in the 21st century. When it comes to Asia, one of the world’s fastest-growing regions, the rulebook is up for grabs. And if we don’t pass this agreement -- if America doesn’t write those rules -- then countries like China will. And that would only threaten American jobs and workers and undermine American leadership around the world.

That’s why I am posting the text of this agreement here for you to read and explore.

There’s a lot in here, so we’ve put together summaries of each chapter to help you navigate what’s in the agreement and what these new standards will mean for you.

Read it all in full right here.

I know that if you take a look at what’s actually in the TPP, you will see that this is, in fact, a new type of trade deal that puts American workers first.

Take a look. Then make up your mind.

-- President Barack Obama

"Take a look. Then make up your mind" As if we have A choice- Absolutely pathetic......

Dear President Obama,

Why are you so aggressive as to want to write the tpp toilet paper rules?

Mother Earth writes the rules requiring immediate attention. Don't put her off.

This must be a hoax. President Obama would not utter these weird ideas.

The US will write the rules - holy shit, now we're really in trouble. The US writing the rules means the corporations will be writing the rules. Also addressing Obama douchebag economics - other countries don't buy US cars because what it builds are gas guzzlers and the populations of almost all world consumer economies can't afford the fuel prices.