Home | About | Donate

TransCanada’s Energy East Pipeline is Too Much Risk for the Bay of Fundy

TransCanada’s Energy East Pipeline is Too Much Risk for the Bay of Fundy

Matthew Abbott

The Energy East Pipeline project, a proposal of Alberta-based TransCanada Corporation, would make gamblers of us all.

A single tanker spill of oilsands bitumen in the Bay of Fundy — currently the only export harbour for the cross-country bitumen pipeline — could irreparably damage the two industries that have been the cornerstone of the economy in this region for generations: fisheries and tourism.

Since China serves as the industrial engine of the world and its economy has entered into a tailspin (or serious "correction") demand for commodities has gone down so much so that oil is now selling for less than $40 a barrel.

What this means is at least two-fold:

First, global demand for oil is down.

Second, costly production operations make no sense in this particular economic downturn.

I hope this form of Shock Doctrine wake-up call stops the Energy & Environmental high-tech rapists... and that the magnificent whales will maintain control of THEIR peaceful domain.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I was just in New Bruswick last mos. I'd be sorry to see such a beautiful place trashed by these greedy f*ckers. Is there nowhere they can't stick their greasy hands?