Home | About | Donate

TransCanada Shuts Keystone Pipeline Over Leak: 'We Don't Know Where It's Coming From'

TransCanada Shuts Keystone Pipeline Over Leak: 'We Don't Know Where It's Coming From'

Jacqueline Keeler, Jacqueline Keeler, Indian Country Today

On Monday April 4, TransCanada announced that it has shut down its Keystone pipeline south of Freeman, South Dakota after an oil spill was reported by a local rancher, stating that "crews initially found visible signs of oil on a small surface area."

My understanding is that this pipeline relatively new and it already failing. Those whistle blowers that suggested corners were being cut when these pipelines built warned of this very outcome.

How will these pipelines function for 40 years and more? Are endless leaks and spills just a business expense?

Time to demand all oil pipelines be shut off permanently. Perhaps the bastards thought no one would notice/care if there were spills as they run clear through Indian Country.

The Keystone pipeline is different from the Keystone XL pipeline.

The Keystone pipeline, approved by GW Bush in 2008, ships about 500,000 barrels of oil a day from Alberta, Canada to refineries in Illinois and Texas.

The (Keystone) pipeline is the namesake for the Keystone XL pipeline, which President Obama rejected in November. Keystone XL would have provided additional oil-transporting infrastructure to the route — the proposed pipeline, if approved, would have carried up to 830,000 barrels of oil from Alberta’s tar sands each day.

Keystone runs over the Ogallala Aquifer, one of the largest in the world.
The XL (would have) run thru much more of Ogallala & its recharge area.

The Ogallala is the primary water source for the Lakota Sioux - seems tribal lands are still being taken/exploited......

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/we-will-fight-keystone-xl-pipeline-foes-fear-worst-water-n150041

Just one more ecological disaster from an industry known to be causing our planet's biology to change. Of course TransCanada's PR team is in front of this calamity; by claiming some kind of victory. The blind twisted avarice of capitalism is literally going to kill planet earth - and the future of mankind along with it. I've become convinced that unbridled greed is society's most destructive, diabolical mental illness. It is industry's best weapon of mass destruction.
Like David Koch said as he was given a fine for stealing oil from Native American land: "I only want what's mine, and that's all of it."

I would say that the oil company just considers this a business expense, they have proven time and time again that they don't give 2 shits about the land or the folks living on it, or the water under it.

500,000 barrels a day,....... no problem we can afford a leak or two

It is just one more example of the endless greed that is destroying what was once a beautiful planet.

Oh Fuck