Home | About | Donate

TransCanada's Pathetic Keystone XL Lawsuit Could Galvanize Resistance to New Trade Agreements

TransCanada's Pathetic Keystone XL Lawsuit Could Galvanize Resistance to New Trade Agreements

Jamie Henn

Talk about sore losers. The Canadian pipeline company TransCanada announced this afternoon that it is suing Obama Administration over its decision to reject the Keystone XL pipeline.

The lawsuit won't do anything to help get the pipeline built, it's too late for that. The only purpose is for TransCanada to get compensated for the billions of dollars it wasted on this boondoggle in the first place. It's a greedy and pathetic move, but I guess that's what we've come to expect from the fossil fuel industry.

I fail to understand how Jamie Henn can say "Ultimately, TransCanada's lawsuit won't do much to change the outcome of the fight against Keystone XL, we already won that battle."

We may have won that battle, but this NAFTA lawsuit and TransCanada's lawsuit in Houston federal court are two new and very big battles in the war, and we as a movement are not especially well equipped to fight on this playing field. Henn implies that the war has been won, whereas it seems this is a long ways from being won. Especially given the Administration's weak decision document rejecting the pipeline.

Amy Goodman interviews Lori Wallach of Public Citizen today to pursue this very question, and the answer is a financial mess! (If you need the link, I can post it.)

Please post the link !

Thanks

Yes, when you think that these "fines" are paid by the taxpayer who again foots the bill for the mega subsidies handed over to these rapacious polluters, the question of "winning" is somewhat of a moot pt.