Home | About | Donate

Transformed: Your Sons and Your Daughters Are Beyond Your Command

Transformed: Your Sons and Your Daughters Are Beyond Your Command

On the eve of the March For Our Lives, a grateful reminder of the power and hope unleashed by the extraordinary kids at Parkland and nationwide. Given the carnage they've witnessed, the fiery Emma González cites a "learned helplessness" on the part of kids who "see danger around every corner, so we know to expect it...(But) it shouldn’t be normal. It should never have been normal.” Maybe, finally, times a-changin'. Let's do it for the kids.

Hooray for Emma’s everywhere - from Emma Goldman to Emma González !

But the washed-up useless Dylan and his whole narcissistic hippie generation - not so much…

Yeah, the “establishment” counter-to-hippie culture have been fighting the good fight.

On Children
 Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

They definitely have the support they will need. Cheers!!!

Ask any young millennial like Emma Gonzalez what they think of the hippie generation… Or, if she were alive, what Emma Goldman would have thought of hippie culture.

For the most part, hippie culture was about being self-absorbed, the men especially were misogynistic, homophobic and anti-social responsibility (it’s no accident that the “Summer of Love” only happened once - the women wanted nothing to do with it after the first one.) They only opposed war to save their own skins. Few were actual leftists or anarchists like both these Emmas and the later global economic justice generation of the 1990s to 00’s. So, It should not be surprising that, once the Vietnam war was over, they segued smoothly into the Ayn Rand/Ronnie Raygun/get-rich generation of the 1980s.

And Bob Dylan is a quintessential old hippie - never actually a leftist at all.

It’s funny how many libertarian hippies I know. Northern California, which is often seen as some lefty paradise, is actually filled with them. They are just as rightwing and entitled as other wingers. They got theirs and want to be left alone. Problems are all government, but they don’t need to pay taxes. Local law enforcement protects their illegal grow operations and the highway is repaired on someone else’s dime because they “earned” what they have.

It is funny how Americans seem unable to generalize information. Maybe just an artifact of social media.

These kids have cut through all the bs with such stark clarity. The choice is really simple: We either love our guns, or we love our kids. We can’t do both. Choose.

Like so much else today, that one brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, goat-like one.

Thanks for posting…

THE PEOPLE UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED-

LA GENTE UNIDO, JAMAS SERA VENCIDO

EMMA, I’M WITH YOU ALL THE WAY. I MARCHED FOR WOMEN’S AND GAY RIGHTS IN THE 70’S. I MARCHED FOR REAL JUSTICE FOR ALL, NOW I’M READY TO MARCH FOR THE END OF GUNS PERIOD, OR AT LEAST FOR PROTECTIVE GUN MEASURES. i LOVE MY GRANDKIDS. THEY HAVE HARDLY ANY RECESS, OR EVEN TIME TO EAT LUNCH. NOW THEY’VE GOT TO BE SCARED OF BEING SHOT IN THEIR CLASSROOMS. !!!

I’M OLD, BUT I CAN AND WILL VOTE!

REALLY ANGRY GRANNY

Beautiful! Well worth copying and keeping close at hand, which I intend to do.

Thank you for sharing this! It contains more wisdom and hope than the combined total
of all the sermons that will be delivered today.

I respect the efforts of people in bringing their mission to the public…except…I do not respect them misrepresenting themselves. Emma Gonzalez is an actor and writer who graduated from NYU. A bit old to be pretending to be a Parkland student. Kind of explains why she can do these things and not worry about classes. David Hogg graduated from Redondo Beach High School, after which his father moved to Parkland a number of years ago.
I also do not respect the continuance of journalism to perpetuate these falsehoods.

Using trained actors also protects the police and others from being pointed to in this sad event as having responsibility for some of their questionable behavior.

Where did you get this bullshit? She is a Senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Turn off Fox News!

To Yunzer and friends: You ought to listen better.
Buffalo Springfield Lyrics
“For What It’s Worth”

There’s something happening here
But what it is ain’t exactly clear
There’s a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware

I think it’s time we stop
Children, what’s that sound?
Everybody look - what’s going down?

There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong
Young people speaking’ their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind

It’s time we stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

What a field day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly saying, “hooray for our side”

It’s time we stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you’re always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away

We better stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

We better stop
Hey, what’s that sound?

We better stop
Now, what’s that sound?

We better stop
Children, what’s that sound?

Yunzer, you “better jump down a manhole.”

You might like this, it is about Dylan’s Nobel Laureate speech. It points to why some people get it and others don’t.

You just had to state hatred for another generation. People are people - and they do not have to be labeled. Also, they cannot help when they were born. What do you have against people in their sixties and seventies anyway? You probably would not be here without being born to an older person! I applaud these kids, and other people who stand with them. Apparently you as an elite are threatened by them or just have your own hang ups. Grow up

Right on- are you a boomer also? I marched in DC against the war machine of Viet Nam. I have been involved in education , clean /vegan living, animal rights, human rights, and the preservation of the Earth. Now we continue with the Peace movement towards the end of the use of guns as well as economic injustice.You’re right- recess is ending for school kids, they have to rush through lunches, and barely have time to talk with their classmates without a teacher telling them to be quiet. At the same time, they are expected to have social skills, Now, kids in pre school are expected to read and write , and kids in grade K are expected to write 5 page stories. At the same time, many come from single parent homes where the parents do not even give them breakfast. Then we wonder why are they angry? I am proud of these kids and anyone who joins them or has come before them to stand with justice.