Home | About | Donate

Trudeau Government Backs Energy East, Supports Tar Sands Expansion

Trudeau Government Backs Energy East, Supports Tar Sands Expansion

Brent Patterson

On the same day that US President Barack Obama rejected the proposed 830,000 barrel per day Keystone XL pipeline, highlighting that approving the pipeline would undermine efforts to curb greenhouse gas emissions, the government of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau came out in support of the larger 1.1 million barrel per day Energy East pipeline.

Friday began with Obama's comment that Trudeau was "disappointed" in his decision to formally reject Keystone XL.

There are so many instances where a line of dialogue from a particular Star Trek movie is just so appropriate. While trying to hire a spaceship to transport them to a forbidden sector of space, Dr. McCoy, inhabited with the "katra" of Spock, tells the prospective spaceship master when the latter complains that "Permits plenty will be needed!" replies:

"There won't BE any permits! How do you get a permit to do a damned illegal thing, you moron?!"

Think of all Tar Sands deposits as "forbidden sectors of (this planetary) space" and you get the idea.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I knew it. Just because he's young and talks the talk does not make Trudeau a true progressive. Just another sell-out. Blech and then again, blech.

Sad. So sad.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Don't expect anything to come out of Paris, Cookies. I hope I'm wrong. But Hollande is on record as saying - in Alberta - that he was hoping French investors would play a bigger part in the exploitaion of oil sands... Now isn't this the president who is supposed to be organising COP21?

The shortest honeymoon ever! It brings back memories of 2009, when Obama walked into the White House and appointed Rahm, HIS BEST FRIEND, to be his closest advisor. We who had so enthusiastically worked for and voted for him heaved a deep sigh and said, More fools us. Rahm has since then become Chicago's mayor and is busy closing schools, cutting budgets and reversing every decent social program the citizens fought for.