Home | About | Donate

Trump Admits He 'Learned A Lot' From Disgraced President Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/08/trump-admits-he-learned-lot-disgraced-president-nixons-saturday-night-massacre

Trump never learns.
SO I have to wonder who told him to say THAT?

3 Likes

In my opinion, Nixon was a disgraced president; but compared to Trump Nixon was a choir boy, who at least resigned albeit for nefarious reasons. Trump will never resign because Trump knows he will lose his immunity from prosecution and he could even face indictment and under a Democratic Administration would probably not be given a pardon.

4 Likes

Lessons unlearned, especially for democrats.
The democrats of 1973 knew that John Mitchell had to go or else any investigation into watergate would be for naught. They knew that Nixon’s firewall had to go first. Why do you think trumps people made damn sure that loyal crony Barr was in the AG office before Trumps impeachment debacle began.
These modern democrats either don’t understand the game, or were never really interested in removing Trump in the first place. My guess is both.

6 Likes

If Trump loses in November, he will immediately resign, an agreement with mike pence, just like the one made by Nixon with Gerald Ford, will be enacted, Trump will be pardoned.
Of course, this assumes that he will lose. The more we see (and hear) from Joe Biden and the DNC, the more likely it seems that Trump is a two term president.

3 Likes

Trump really learned from Roy Cohn, much more than from Nixon. When told he’s done something wrong, he denies, deflects, and attacks. Never admitting wrongdoing. Cohn taught the same policy to Senator McCarthy in the 50’s, who eventually was disgraced and died in ignominy. What we need today is a GOP senator standing up in the chamber and telling Trump, McConnell, Barr, et al, “Have any of you any shame? Do any of you realize your inactions have made an already deadly situation even worse because all you care about is your power? Sirs, for the honor of the country, you should resign immediately and throw yourselves on the mercy of the courts. By the way, the judges will not be the judges you installed with their degrees from Liberty University.”

4 Likes

“Oh, you were caught Asshole, we just do not have any law enforcement in this country any longer.”

Your time is gonna come.

We obsess over Trump at our peril. The entire Republican machine must be punished this fall. Their dirty tricks and party over country loyalty “ethic” have wreaked havoc in every corner of public life. The pandemic (non)response is Exhibit A. It might be fun to use terms like disfunction junction, but the decades-old joke is beyond stale, it has become an existential threat in myriad ways.

4 Likes

They understand the game plenty. It is the same game that has been leading us sheeple steadily off a cliff for the past 40 years.

2 Likes

Yep, thanks for that Bernie, for giving up and telling us to vote for a rapist who will most assuredly lose. “Progressive revolution” my ass.

1 Like

Thanks Phred. I was about to comment that I didn’t think Trump is capable of learning.

2 Likes

what a moron. that statement essentially admits guilt.

no, I don’t think he learned much from the vastly smarter Nixon at all.

1 Like

The democrats role ended when they successfully impeached trump.
The rest was all power play by republicans. Swamp solidarity.

1 Like

Republicans will sail with the fair wind at their backs. But when it is time to sacrifice anything but their moral indifference, they won’t actually drink the kool-aid. Bully cowards.

3 Likes

You are right I think. Today’s revolutions need strong leadership. Without it we are only weekend warriors with little direction, or fight for that matter.

2 Likes

I agree if Trump loses he will no doubt resign, in order to be pardoned before a Democratic, Administration takes political, power.

1 Like

Well Obama in effect gave pardons to a bunch of Class A war criminals who preceded him, with the support of Pelosi & Co.

2 Likes

“Like Nixon, I also am not a crook”.

1 Like

Good point!

So we know why he is the way he is – other than his family roots. He has studied, idolized, learned from or been mentored by the likes of Hitler, Cohn, Nixon & Putin. [Not sure I got the spelling of “Cohn” right – the right-hand man of Joseph McCarthy & former lawyer for Trump]

It’s kind of ironic to hear him say he’s learned not to fire people when he’s been firing people at a record rate.

1 Like