Home | About | Donate

Trump Budget Slashes and Privatizes in 'Most Extreme' Proposal Yet

Trump Budget Slashes and Privatizes in 'Most Extreme' Proposal Yet

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

President-elect Donald Trump is aiming to slash government spending across the board, with numerous public services in the crosshairs, according to staffers on his transition team who spoke to The Hill on Thursday.

The proposals, The Hill's Alexander Bolton writes, "are dramatic."

And so it begins - the extremism and de facto terrorism of the trump regime madness and its r'con lackeys/co-conspirators will be fought at every level, by every citizen of conscience, courage, and wisdom. Guess what - this trump madness and "conservative" or "religious" extremism and bigotry threatens us all, regardless ones beliefs - it will create such a backlash as there has never been!
If government goons, local police, military units begin to repress, fine for dissent, brutalize, kill, and imprison for Bill of Rights protected expression/free speech, there will be consequences and millions will rise up to demand change!
There is NO LAW that can be passed that will negate our rights! If there is no justice for all, there is no justice for ANY!

"An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so." - Mahatma Gandhi

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

The Trump presidency is only the last in a long line of abuses.

The basic economics of this is fucking bonkers. Let’s be clear, that is $10.5 trillion being taken out of the economy, a lot of it on programs that bring collective benefits and are at least supposed to reduce collective costs. So, lots of negative environmental and social externalities are about to be created, and many of these impacts don’t have market values. The $10.5 trillion though has a market value, and the negation of that from the national economy is going to have a huge multiplier effect. For example, the cuts in health care spending don’t just impact people that need the care. It will also be a massive cut in the money going to hospitals, which will mean less staff, doctors, nurses, support staff, working at the hospitals. The people losing their jobs will then not have money to inject into the economy, which means less goods and services bought, etc. Downward spiral. Now, of these massive cuts, how much will be made up by private investment and spending? Next to nothing. Who the hell is going to invest to increase production when there clearly isn’t enough private demand in the economy and when government spending is being cut? In other words, who is going to invest to increase the amount of goods and services their company produces when there is a massive depression in effective demand? It will go into what we’ve been seeing for decades now, stock buybacks and speculative investments. When it all collapses, which it will, the state will step in to rescue these crooks.

This is such a stupid, a-historic and failed economic philosophy. Look at Oxfam’s reports on the social costs of austerity in Europe. Look at the utter failure of austerity in the EU. The truth is, they are just going to massively loot the commons and public resources. They know this, we know this, their silly economic arguments are for the victims of these policies that don’t realize they’re victims and are cheering on their own destruction. The 20% or so of the population that voted and are cheering on horrible things they don’t seem to realize are horrible.

There is no popular mandate what so ever to do anything like this and it is going to be an epic disaster. Trump will enter as the most unpopular major party nominee ever and given the horrible impact of these policies, it will probably be the high-water mark.

I would say, "and so it ends" rather than "and so it begins". That's because this trend in government has been happening for a very long time and it is now it is reaching its inevitable conclusion.

PBS/NPR have been firmly under corporate control for years. Privatizing it will only replace the quarterly fund raisers with commercials.

Grant funding for worthy causes have been drying up for years in favor of block grants where state legislatures, beholden to local and national corporate power, distribute funds with little to no oversight.

The Department of Energy has taken a constant pro-fossil fuel stand against renewable energy. What little grants have been available for renewables has been dwarfed by the grants and subsidies given to fossil fuel companies.

As expected, being left alone on the chopping block are grants and subsidies that benefit the pharmaceutical industry, chemical companies, and continued expansion of fossil fuel development.

Yes, resistance and revolution is necessary but we cannot and should not work for a return to the way things were before, because it is exactly that road that has led us to this in-enviable place.

so much this. I'm seeing "progressives" moving mountains right now extolling the virtues of the very things they've spent lives criticizing.
All of it ultimately leads to recreating the conditions that got us here, as you rightly point out.

We need a different country, not a return to the competently administered crap-camp that we've had. Trump, to me, is an opportunity, not solely a curse. If ever an awful person could provide a national "teachable moment", it would be a Trump presidency.

A "teachable moment?"

Some will learn a much harsher lesson than other, I guess.

I think the issue here is that the morons coming up with this budget have absolutely no understanding of economics, they are trying to simplify a national budget to household budget mechanics: slash spending, ecco beautiful surpluses you can use for your vacation. The tax breaks the corporations are giving themselves have to come from somewhere: now we know where.

Yeah Bill, I guess I was thinking the beginning of the trump regime, or the beginning of the end, but you are right. As some have written, this is hopefully a teachable moment and perhaps catalyst for real change....but I wouldn't hold my breath......Peace.

Basically an agrarian movement at the turn of the 20th century, the Populist Party led by William Jennings Bryan wanted more farm loans for the drought stricken Midwest, more silver and gold coinage minted, more inexpensive farm loans. By all respects they got their collective aspirations handed to them by the industrialists of the East. The uber rich, the World Bankers, the Rothchilds have been entrenched since the World Bank was created after WW I to appropriate war reparations but it never did it. Many believe the Great Depression and banking collapse were intentional. The Wizard of OZ (ounce) was a musical parody written in1900 about the Wicked Witch of the East and only the silver slippers of Dorothy could get her safely home to Kansas. They were originally silver, not ruby and it was about changing the gold standard, hence the Golden Brick Road leading to the Wicked Wizard of Oz. Let's be clear. Both political parties are corrupt beyond salvation, indeed, both parties tell us the system is broken. We cannot keep stacking the same Madeline Albrights, Clintons, Buses, Obamas, Rockefellers in varying forms and expect a better world. We get subjugation and devastation. What are we do do is the question and more importantly who may we trust. Resist.

I'm really not being all that glib about it, vox.
I mean, what would you have done to people who simply don't appear capable of learning how to be responsible for the political condition of their country?

Trump makes it easier to see what's broken. Whether or not that translates into our people getting their collective poop together remains to be seen.

I agree that considering the current state of US public broadcasting, there isn't a lot to save, but you do know that the CPB still provides about a third of the funding to many PBS/NPR stations, right? And that resurrecting public media from scratch will be much more difficult than reforming what exists.

The commenters here must live pretty well considering their callousness.

PBS was effectively privatized in the 1990s by the Koch brothers when they ousted Robert MacNeil.

Perhaps you prefer watching cable channels that carry Duck Dynasty or Nude Survivor or the Knife and Weapon shopping channel. Were it not for my THREE PBS channels, I would not watch TV. Without P BS shows like Downton Abbey, Little Dorrit (and other Dickens Classics), Jane Austen Series, Anne of Green Gables, Poldark, Frontline, Independent Lens, Charlie Rose, The PBS News Hours, Washington Week, PBS Weekend News, POV (Point of View), NOVA, any and all Ken Burns documentaries (Baseball, Civil War, and Vietnam coming this fall), Rick Steve's Travels, Globe Trekker, Midsomer Nights, Miss Fisher Mysteries, myriad educational shows for children and teens (Thomas the Tank Engine, i.e.), Kennedy Performing Arts and the Mark Twain Prize, Great Performances (will be hit at both ends with the Natl Endowment for the Arts is expunged) would not even get off the ground financially, There are so many PBS programs that are thought-provoking, informative, and highly entertaining. T-dump only watches reruns of The Apprentice so has no concept of how vital PBS is for millions of viewers. I have supported (ongoing monthly contributions) all three PBS stations for more than 20 years.

T-dump thinks he is entertainment enough for the idiots who voted for him...and he just might be.

PBS and the Kochs are cheerleading for Big Nuke.

Here's the problem: Heritage Foundation. Falsified science and statistics is their mainstay.

A phuquing MAD MAN...who will certainly bring on his own demise with his deep-rooted cruelty, inherent diabolical/demonic nature, heartless treatment of anyone he chooses to target for what he perceives to be critical of him in any way, and his disdain for world leaders and their nations will lead to our nation's undoing. In reality, his approval ratings are so far in the minus zone that they cannot be tracked.

T-dump would not even be welcome in Hell!

That is not how I understood the programs' messages. The one on Hanford was chilling and none of the programs proved that there is a safe way to store used plutonium and other radioactive waste regardless of all the vast electricity that nuclear energy would provide that was trumpeted, which has been the message promoting nuclear power since its inception. Frontline (PBS) documentary on Fukushima should make the world step back and pursue more sustainable less disastrous forms of power production (wind, solar) than nuclear. The people of Japan are calling for the shutdown of their nuclear power plants after the disaster at Fukushima.

Didnt Bush Sr. try to privatize PBS? I remember this from somewhere.