Home | About | Donate

Trump Condemned for Authoritarian 'Abuse of Power' as Secret Federal Police Snatch Protesters Off Portland Streets

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/17/trump-condemned-authoritarian-abuse-power-secret-federal-police-snatch-protesters

10 Likes

And now all those "domestic terrorists " can be held indefinitely and without charges.

10 Likes

Trump Must Resign. He Is A Danger To All.

8 Likes

The criminal bastard strikes again, would LOVE to see them all in chains awaiting their turn…(fill in your own favorite destination for them)

6 Likes

Anyone who still believes the USA is not a fascist totalitarian police state has their heads up their asses. There is no rule of law in the USA now. This has been a long time in the making and while Trump is the figurehead for now, he is not to blame alone. If not for Trump then some other maniacal power crazed wannabe dictator would be in his place. As minitrue has been posting for years now on CommonDreams the USA is the fourth reich and that was before Trump took power. The game is over. The USA is dead. There is no going back, because that is what brought us to this point. There must be a real revolution (and not the kind Bernie has prattled on about). Either the citizens must come together, both “right and left” and take to the streets en masse so these federal police (or whoever they are, most likely Eric Prince’s goon squad) cannot grab everyone, and shut down this fucking country, and/or the nations around the world need to band together like they did against Nazi Germany in the day or this will end in a horrible tragedy. Both things are needed, and I just can’t see it happening. The citizens in the USA are too divided and too stupid to actually comprehend what is now taking place. And I suspect other nations are too afraid of the USA with all its military might and nuclear weapons to stand up to the USA. I am so depressed and angry that the fucking moron citizens of the USA have let it come to this by voting for these same two political parties who are hell bent on destroying everything in sight. I give up. Voting is what brought us to this place and voting will not stop or change it. There apparently is no stopping the complete descent into complete dystopian destruction as the USA goes down the drain once and for all.

29 Likes

Horrifying, SMH…our MSM calls China, Russia, et al “repressive” and “authoritarian” - and im sure they are - but i gotta question whether they are (since i have no personal experience in any foreign countries), considering that our MSM refuses to acknowledge the obvious fact that the USA is (always was) also a “repressive/authoritarian” nation. That type of blatant hypocrisy makes me question everything they report.
i wonder if news media in foreign countries call the USA a repressive/authoritarian state. It definitely is an apt description…

11 Likes

So what is happening to the people who are being arrested and hauled off? Are they heard from again or are they disappearing?

18 Likes

Where did they take these people, the senators and representatives should go there and force their release (and not leave till they are). Talk, talk, talk has no meaning to this Hitleresque president and pathetic attorney general. We cannot wait till November, in fact, these facists have no intention of giving up their power no matter what the election results.

15 Likes

The man is nothing if not a danger to all democracy. But I am sure he will retain the unwavering loyalty of our “Pan-Democrats,” here in Hong Kong, who seem to be completely in thrall to the USA, irrespective of how depraved the actions it takes, thereby continuing to display how completely unprincipled they really are. Or are they just that abysmally ignorant of history that they really believe that the enemy of their enemy is their friend? Surely that concept has been the pitfall of many colonialized people who collaborated with the new, foreign folks against their traditional enemies only to find themselves crushed under gratitude of that ‘friend’s’ iron embrace/heel.

6 Likes

From the article:

“This political theater from President Trump has nothing to do with public safety,” Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said in a statement. “The president is failing to lead this nation. Now he is deploying federal officers to patrol the streets of Portland in a blatant abuse of power by the federal government.”

Oregon Sens. Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley joined Oregon Reps. Earl Blumenauer and Suzanne Bonamici in demanding a full investigation and accountability for the officer who fired the munition.

“In recent weeks, the federal government has deployed to Portland a number of DOJ and DHS officers,” the lawmakers wrote. “This politically driven federal response is intolerable.”

Governor Brown, Senators Merkley and Wyden, and Representatives Blumenauer and Bonamici need to step to the front of the protests, and be genuine leaders in opposition to Barr and Trump’s goon squad.

25 Likes

HELL! And even that isn’t sufficient for the misery and suffering this piece of shit is responsible for. And it would be a pleasure to send him there.

2 Likes

This makes my blood boil. Seriously. If I was the Governor I would order state police to arrest these lowlife thugs on site. The only rational use of that surplus military equipment.

19 Likes

i think it could be argued that a nation built on genocide and the ideology of white supremacism was always inevitably headed for this point. i share your exasperation and absence of optimism. Thank you for articulating it so well.

The only nonviolent solution i can think of is to bring the gears of capitalism to a grinding halt with a prolonged general strike (which isn’t going to happen, since the citizenry is too divided). Even that would involve violence, as the striking workers would undoubtedly be brutalized to no end by the powers that be.

15 Likes

Over 99% of Americans are unable to grasp even a small fraction of how far gone American government is. People talk about resignations and impeachment. People refer to the constitution, and legalities. People refer to Precedent and propriety. None of this applies today, the constitution is completely defunct, all democratic institutions are wiped out completely. The government is quite literally run by a crime syndicate, Big Business. Have you ever heard of a gangster who did not refer to themselves as a businessman? It matters not if they kick in your door without a warrant, it matters not if the election is rigged, it matters not if the constitution forbids it, it matters not if it is right or wrong. America is fully collapsed already, it is not necessary to dissolve the corrupt government, it’s already dissolved; What is needed is to build a government from scratch, unfortunately were a bit short on Jeffersons, Madisons, and Franklins.

18 Likes

At least he didn’t drone strike them.

4 Likes

This^
Ninetyninepercenter understands just how far gone the USA is.

8 Likes

I completely agree and have posted that same thing many times on this site. Where we are now is the inevitable outcome of a nation founded on genocide and slavery that never came to grips with its history and only kept evolving into deeper madness from that place.

13 Likes

Also, who’s been taken by the goons, and is anyone still not accounted for?

10 Likes

And yes, massive general strikes are the only possible means to stop this insanity. But that would certainly involve bloodshed as the strikers are attacked by the police and even their fellow “Brownshirt” citizens. Things in the USA are going to be completely dystopian going forward.

12 Likes

CoronaVirus has us in lockdown status, so we have time to read. Read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and you’ll begin to understand what is happening. Der trumpenfuehrer is using Hitler, Goebbels and Goering’s playbook, and We the People are allowing it to happen.
** After that gassing and concussion grenade clearing of the church and grounds in DC for his photoop, der trumpenfuehrer said the situation was handled very well by the SS. Now, der trumpenfuehrer has the SS doing his bidding by trolling Portland and snatching protesters off the street, using no identification and hauling them off to God knows where.
2012 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) allows the military to pick up and hold in indefinite detention any citizen, or alien, without charges, in unidentified prisons. Just like the Gestapo and SS in Nazi Germany.
~https://www.aclu.org/other/talking-points-2012-national-defense-authorization-act-ndaa.
** As Sinclair Lewis wrote in It Can’t Happen Here in the 1920’s, we are finding that, it has.
The big question now is, do we just let it grow, as far too many of the German People did in 1930’s Germany, or do We the People take our country back and return our Constitution as the rule and guide of the nation? If we don’t, be sure to finish reading the The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
** And may God help us all…
;-})

26 Likes