Home | About | Donate

Trump Is Not Alone Among Americans In Failing to Understand What A Real Lynching Is

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/29/trump-not-alone-among-americans-failing-understand-what-real-lynching

2 Likes

The photograph is from the Equal Justice Initiative Museum and Memorial in Montgomery, Alabama (https://museumandmemorial.eji.org). It is a very moving place and I highly recommend visiting it should one be in the area. I am truly shamed by the lengths of names that adorn the markers representing the various counties in which I have lived despite the fact that I had nothing to do with the crimes. The pall still hangs in the air and in the hearts of far too many.

1 Like

Trump has always accused his opponents of actions that he perpetrated and they never did. When I studied rhetoric in college a half century ago academics labeled this tactic “projection”.

Projection is especially easy to get away with in Murka where the art of blaming the victim while rewarding the perpetrator was refined decades ago.

Trump’s dream is to become dictator for life, at which point is marks (media calls them his base) will be encouraged to lynch people. He needs to start blaming others for lynching today so he will have the upper hand in fostering a lynching culture.

2 Likes

What Trump is going through is indeed not a lynching, but Jackson appears to be one of those who does not understand what a “real” lynching is. A lynching is an extrajudicial execution by mob (typically by hanging) of someone for some alleged offense. Jackson makes reference to statistics for “racial terror lynchings” which by its very name indicates it is a specific subset of lynchings, and then confuses that with “real” lynchings. When Clarence Thomas spoke of a lynching, he was clearly referring to racial terror lynchings. Trump’s reference looks like he is referring to extrajudicial lynchings in general (which, by definition, are “real” lynchings). Has anyone seen any indication he was referring specifically to racial terror lynchings?

I don’t think Jackson is the one who is confused–you’re the one putting scare quotes around the word “real” and creating definitional subsets out of thin air.

1 Like

Lynching is named for Charles Lynch, who ordered extralegal punishment for crown loyalists during and after the Revolutionary war. These involved lynchings of white people by white people, so there was no racial component. Even during the period when racial terror lynchings were at their peak (1880’s through 1960’s) over one thousand whites were lynched in the U.S. Those were unquestionably lynchings–by definition–and they also overwhelmingly lacked a racial terror component. That necessarily means there were lynchings which were not racial terror lynchings, which means racial terror lynchings cannot be the entire category of lynchings. That logically means that if racial terror lynchings are true lynchings, they can at most be only a subset of all lynchings.

A real, true lynching results in spinal fracture/displacement at the C-1/C-2 level, pulmonary congestion and cerebral edema, any of which can cause death.

What Pwesident Twump (a white man) and Clarence Thomas (ostensibly a black man) experienced was, at worst, embarrassment and temporary inconvenience–in other words, assaults that were merely metaphorical. I fail to see any need for further parsing.

3 Likes

To be fair, lynching was a common practice back in the day in the Far West where I’m from and mostly involved white people lynching other white people. Not that a draft-dodging, candy-@ss, pretty boy like Trump would have any idea what we’re talking about.

Hanging was the most common form of lynching, but it’s not part of the definition. Being dragged out by a mob and beaten, kicked, clubbed, stoned, or shot to death still counts as a lynching.

To this day, no Congress has passed, and no president has signed into law, a bill to outlaw lynching as a federal hate crime.–we need to let this sink in deeply. Then get busy deconstructing all the US American institutions to eradicate all vestiges of racism and realize it cannot be a capitalist system, the very system responsible for the white supremacist greed at the expense of black people and the First Nations people.

3 Likes

The problem, as I see it, is that the white lynch mobs along with their white victims were not invited to Turtle Island and Africans did not willing come to these stolen shores. These homicidal maniacs needed to try out their revolution in England.

1 Like

Lindsey Graham apparently has…

Hi sLiMsHaDy;
hmm," I wonder—what is it that …"Lindsey Graham apparently has… " as you stopped writing.
Oh, I get it . He has a white person’s concept of equality. ( note… yes white person writing this : ) However, Lindsey apparently does not know American history as lynching was a very common way to control black people-----or perhaps it was also a way for white people ( a lot of them poor people who were low on the social ladder)----a way for these sad people to feel superior—and “cracker,” is certainly a negative term.

So in honor of Lindsey a U,S. Senator, a reminder that sometimes turn- about can be fair play, I would like to submit a name change for Lindsey… wait for it …>>>>>>>
Lindsey Graham Cracker. A reminder Lindsey , U.S. Senator that words do matter! : )

2 Likes

I would only add that since Trump feels like he is being lynched, he ought to experience the actual thing.

2 Likes