Home | About | Donate

Trump Is Over If You Want It

Trump Is Over If You Want It

Hey peeps, good news: The tinpot tyrant resigned on a napkin! He caved to a women-led, multi-racial grassroots resistance - sippy-cup sit-ins! a floof blockade! - and fled to Yalta, leaving Pence to a “clipped-duck” term as progressives celebrated 64 groundbreaking bills, from Green New Deal to Medicare for All. In fact, the news comes from a fake Washington Post, aka The Yes Men, complete with action guide and “blueprint to help us reclaim our democracy.” Let it be.

1 Like

Thanks, Abby, for the headline, which recalls John Lennon’s “War Is Over If You Want It.”

All power to the people!
Free the land!

And thanks Yes Men.

3 Likes

While envisioning the end of Trump which will come, sooner or later, is fun, we can’t forget that roughly thirty percent of the electorate blindly follows him and believes his lies and delusions–With Trump out of office, they will follow him into a third party, possibly, but they’ll fervently support him when he cries the “deep state” took him out of a “rigged” system–There will not only be a lot of noise, but I would predict some violence–Trump must be impeached AND indicted, whether as president or after leaving.

There are a lot of well-thought out articles today over at the Atlantic (if you want them.)

Common Dreams is getting so filled with the thin gruel of lesser minds and poorly written fluff pieces.

2 Likes

How about we VOTE OUT Trump? His Cult-members are less likely to react with gun violence than an impeachment might inspire. Given the GOP still has the U.S> Senate, impeachment is un-likely (though House hearings & the Mueller report could make possible CENSURE on the way to Election 2020). And let’s NOT be bamboozled into a center-right Corporate-sponsored Dem like Joe Biden. WE CAN DO BETTER.

4 Likes

Impeachment would leave you with Pence as President, hardly an improvement.

1 Like

This article is outstanding – https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/impeachment-trump/580468/ – and it actually felt good to read an article that argued its key points without innuendo and “fluff!” If we care about our country (and not going any further down the rabbit hole) we all need to take up the argument the author makes.

2 Likes

Read The Atlantic article that I referenced in my comment to skeezyks …

1 Like

The extensive reporting on President Johnson’s impeachment in the 1860’s was a revelation of the relevant history of impeachment as were the five points brought up by the author. Impeach Now!

Yes, l have been holding onto the hope that he would be impeached so that our nightmare would be over, this article marks the first time l feel hopeful even if he doesn’t get impeached – thank for guiding me over there!

Donald will break every law to stay in power, and the Republican senators will allow it because their lobbyists require it.

This is the battle over the end of fossil fuels.

I do not see this ending with impeachment. If impeachment were possible, it would have happened already. Instead Pelosi stopped him from talking to Congress directly. See the gap?

There is no alternative in place for the end of fossil fuels, yet they must stop being used.

Do we end the world for one more day of profits or do we end the use of fossil fuels causing massive disruptions in the world economy?

Caught in the devil’s bargain.

I too greatly appreciated this article. I had always thought of impeachment as being a way to get rid of a bad president, but this article clarifies that that isn’t the true purpose. The purpose is to have Congress control the narrative and bring forward the questions to debate, thereby getting it out of the tit for tat bullshit we are experiencing right now.

I think there needs to be a reasoned uprising to move Pelosi to get her ass in gear and begin the impeachment proceedings NOW.

2 Likes

Here is the short video in the Atlantic article that is concise and to the point.

1 Like

I agree, and as the article discussed, there are many advantages to starting it now – I hope he’s right that even if trump survives impeachment it will still hamstring his presidency and agenda, and that is a large part of what makes him such a disgusting president.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is a national nonpartisan “democracy” organization that could promote the spread of this article and video along with a citizens’ petition to move Pelosi and House to act on getting Impeachment proceedings moving.

Just a thought …

1 Like

Look, it’s funny and thoughts of impeaching Trump (or worse) may provide some smiles and relief, but let’s not get carried away.

Some think it (his removal) will “end the nightmare” or otherwise save us. Sorry to burst that bubble, but given the fundamental conditions of this moment in space time, such an event, however momentarily gratifying, will be just that.

By “the fundamental conditions” I’m referring of course to the state of our so-called democracy … not only in the U.S. but, as we’ve seen, in Canada, in much of Europe and elsewhere. Democracy is little in evidence and corporate power is unparalleled. The planetary climate-control system is being so rapidly destabilized that serious analysts believe we’re headed for a crash that calls into question not only nations but the entirety of the human race, and which is coupled with what has been called the beginning of the planet’s 6th Great mass extinction event. that is apparently underway. Permanent states of war, many a reflection of the U.S.’ efforts to expand its empire, drain our national capacity to even maintain infrastructure, let alone improve on this nations’ low health-care or educational status (as compared with much of the developed world), much less address the climate crisis.

I could go on. But the important fact is that these trends have been in effect for as long as I was dutifully holding my nose (well over 4 decades), thinking that at least keeping a Republican out of office might save us.

News flash: It didn’t work. As I enter the end-period of my own life, even though I don’t have kids or any other descendants to worry about, I occasionally swing between grief and anger, that for all my caring and efforts, and all those of other activists / leaders, representative democracy has been gradually destroyed by concentrated capital, and now I must leave behind a world of humans and other beings facing existential crisis.

So celebrate any take-down of Trump. It’s understandable that when things get grim we will turn to the smallest comforts. But be under no illusion that it will solve the problems I’ve noted. Today’s crises (and they will become only more manifest with time) will not be solved with the kinds of incrementalism and kinder-gentler lesser-evilism that the corporate Democrats have represented. It will not keep the fan from throwing a lot of shit.

While it is still, in my non-scientific opinion possible that the kinds of revolutionary actions needed (immediate full-on focus on energy conservation coupled with renewable energy replacement of ALL fossil fuels, correction of market distortions by outlawing the “externalization” of costs and impacts, etc. and all necessary steps commensurate with the emergency state we now have), it is clear to me that a great mass of people just want to return to “normal”.

And “normal” is exactly what has led us to this perilous moment.

2 Likes

Actually, Tom Steyer’s Need to Impeach is running with it.

1 Like

Looked up Tom Steyer and his organization. Need to Impeach. This guy is a multi billionaire with money to burn. And he donates heavil7y to the DNC - not a good sign. He is developing a hell of a mailing list that will be very useful for the DNC come the presidential election. And those lists, and access to them by the DNC will be a very powerful tool for Steyer.

Though I would love to believe that Need to Impeach is actually trying to start the impeachment process in the House of Representatives, something feels really off about this who stunt. It feels like the voters are being played.

Just sayin’…

Would you rather have the possibility of Trump for 6 more years or Pence for 2 years? “Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law. An impeached and removed President could still run for office, unless he or she was also explicitly disqualified by the Senate (or was ineligible for other reasons, like term limit exclusions).”

Trump for 6? How do you figure? He has two years left on his term. If he runs again and wins it on the electorate and the Democrats, and especially on the Democrats if they offer up another Hilary.