Home | About | Donate

Trump Is Signaling an Unprecedented Right Turn on Foreign Policy

Trump Is Signaling an Unprecedented Right Turn on Foreign Policy

John Feffer

From his feud with Bob Corker to his plans to renege on the Iran deal, Trump's mood swings mean a dangerous new era of foreign policy.

"And by the way, you can’t count on the United States to keep its word in the future.” (John Feffer)

The United States has broken each and every treaty it ever made with the aboriginal peoples. I am not sure what the stats are for non-aboriginal treaties ?

But does that matter ?

I don’t think so. Credibility = zero.

Now - mutual advantage is more dependable.

But the worth of one’s word, as applied to the USA - give me a break !

As for turns on foreign policy - well - I actually prefer this administration’s way of demonstrating how chaotic things are actually done. Some of the smoke and mirrors, and fine talk - who needs it.

Real honesty - now that would be novel. A real discussion between the people and their elected representatives - out in the open - for all to see.

Since this has never been tried - maybe it would work.

As far as a “dangerous new era of foreign policy” - I can hardly keep from laughing out loud. Mutually Assured Destruction - four hundred plus nuclear reactors with no purpose whatever - practically impossible to decommission even if the will existed - seven hundred plus military bases thruout the world - do I need to go on ?

“Trump Is Signaling an Unprecedented Right Turn on Foreign Policy”

Give me a break! Trump has not changed course. Our foreign policy has been on a rightward course for a very very very long time. The only difference with Trump is that he has no pretense about the rightward direction. That last statement is not intended as praise because his lack of pretense has nothing to do with ethical principles. If pretense played to his base, he’d be as phony about the policy as Obama was.

Interesting analysis! Feffer seems to connect the dots pretty well. I don’t believe for one minute that Bannon’s undue influence has diminished one iota just because he does not work inside the White House. I see him as Trump’s Rasputin. I also consider Trump, Bannon, Haley, and Miller as akin to the “Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse”.

Trump is like shrub Bush, all constant lies from a deep state warhawk. Hillary no better, 2016 election a lose lose result baked in for the people no matter who won. Bush the war criminal and his WMD lie in Iraq, he one of the 9-11 inside job perps invaded Afghanistan and made Osama bin Laden aka CIA agent Tim Osman the patsy. Treason morphed into Trump and more murders to come.

Yup, the rightward course certainly dates back to Carter and his Carter Doctrine for the middle east - accelerating massively rightward from Raygun onward…

Before that time, there was a brief blissful period, from about 1973 to 1978, when the young naive me really thought the US just might finally renounce war (yeah, I didn’t know about Gerry Ford’s enthusiasm for Indonesia slaughtering East Timorese). I recall that even the phrase “Vital National Interests” was not uttered in polite company until the election of Raygun, when it suddenly came back in vogue again.

“The last 40 years of American political life have been a series of switchbacks. Ford made way for Carter who made way for Reagan. After George H.W. Bush came a leftish turn under Clinton, a rightish turn under George W. Bush, then a left with Obama, then a hard right with Trump.”

This left turn is something I must have slept through these past 40, or more, years because I have no recollection of anything that’s truly left in this country’s direction. Makes you question the thinking of the writer more than anything else.

… and if civilization in the US enters into a period of total collapse, its 1/4 portion of those nuclear reactors will start popping like popcorn, spewing radioactive filth all over the North American continent.

You are quite right - the US portion of nuclear reactors on Earth is what - 120 or so of ~ 440 total.

I remember visiting a nuclear site here in Canada, Manitoba or Ontario, way back in '94, and on the tour it was explained how safe everything was, how advanced the engineering etc…

I said: “Do you know what your Achilles Heel is ? … FUNDING - Who is going to do all this high tech maintenance unless they are being paid ?”

Anyway - best of luck to us all.

The dump is setting a dangerous precedent for the U.S. by reneging on so many previous treaties. He has been so spoiled all of his life, that his attitude is “my way or the highway” on all of his “deals”. In his ignorance, he doesn’t know that some of the countries that he is dealing with are much more powerful and dangerous than his business cronies that he can bully.

It seems that it would be a waste of time, energy and trust for any nation or international or domestic organization to attempt a treaty or an agreement with the United States unless, depending on the treaty, they wait until the correct administration is in power and they must never make it for more than three years. That is if the agreement’s negotiations begin at the beginning of a presidential term and take a year to finalize. The precedent being that any treaty or agreement is only valid till the end of a president’s reign.(Or till he dies and then all bets are off!)

400 hundred nuclear reactors with no purpose whatsoever" Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that generating 10% of the world’s electricity was nothing.

It would appear you do not understand how nuclear reactors work, who pays for them or what advancements are being made in nuclear that has private funding…